Trusted Contributor

Help with External Drive - My Passport Ultra

[ Edited ]

My head is spinning after HOURS of trying to set up my first Win 10 pc.  I had my Win 7 pc for 11 years up until today and already miss it terribly.

Anyhow I have a My Passport Ultra external hard drive that I used to back up my Win 7 files.  I thought it would be an easy matter of plugging it into my Win 10 and a prompt would appear to "Transfer Files" or some such instruction.  There was nothing.  I googled and read instructions on how to which I can't follow. There are about 7 steps and the instructions don't seem to match what I see.

If anyone knows of a simpler way to upload my files from the external drive to my new Windows 10 pc I'd really appreciate it.  Otherwise I'll have to pay someone to come over and do it for me. Smiley Sad

Wear a mask. Social distance. Be part of the solution - not part of the problem.
Respected Contributor

Re: Help with External Drive - My Passport Ultra

@Deree wrote:

My head is spinning after HOURS of trying to set up my first Win 10 pc.  I had my Win 7 pc for 11 years up until today and already miss it terribly.

Anyhow I have a My Passport Ultra external hard drive that I used to back up my Win 7 files.  I thought it would be an easy matter of plugging it into my Win 10 and a prompt would appear to "Transfer Files" or some such instruction.  There was nothing.  I googled and read instructions on how to which I can't follow. There are about 7 steps and the instructions don't seem to match what I see.

If anyone knows of a simpler way to upload my files from the external drive to my new Windows 10 pc I'd really appreciate it.  Otherwise I'll have to pay someone to come over and do it for me. Smiley Sad

Open Windows Explorer or what every it's called on Windows 10 and drag/drop or copy/paste from the external drive to the new computer. 

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@glb613   I hate to sound stupid  - well -  I'm not sure what I'm supposed to drag and drop or copy/paste.  There are hundreds of files backed up from my Win 7 pc and most of those files are gobbledygoo to me the way they are listed. It's my understanding it will take a few hours to upload all these files to my Win10 pc. 

Wear a mask. Social distance. Be part of the solution - not part of the problem.
Honored Contributor

@Deree 

I found this bit of info and it might help. There's some answers in the link here:

https://www.quora.com/How-can-one-import-files-from-an-external-hard-drive-to-Windows-10

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

Thanks @SilleeMee but I ran into the same problem of not understanding the instructions.  I get as far as File Explorer but I got lost with the File Folder.  

When I plug in my Passport Ultra into the port what comes up on my screen is not at all familiar to me. I don't know the information I'm looking at.  I was hoping the instruction to transfer files would be right there but there are no instructions. Only a list of stuff I don't know what it means.

Honored Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

@Deree wrote:

Thanks @SilleeMee but I ran into the same problem of not understanding the instructions.  I get as far as File Explorer but I got lost with the File Folder.  

@Deree 

I did a Google search "How to transfer files to an external hard drive. (eg) from a computer running Windows 7.

I found a YouTube video.

Then find a video how to moves files to from HD to Windows 10.

Please look for a video then written directions. I usually print things out. 

The cable that is provided with most HD is too short for a direct to direct computer transfer. You need a extension cable. 

Valued Contributor

@Deree 

HD hooked to your computer via a cable should be automatically recognized by your system.  If your computer doesn't "see" your external HD, this is what I would do:

1/ go to the white window pane in the lower left hand corner (the one you use to shut down the computer)

2/ go to settings

3/ go to devices, USB, and see if you can see the HD listed as visible

4/ if you can see the HD there under devices you can left click on your mouse to open it or right click to see it's properties.

5/ Once you left click on it I would think it would begin to load or ask you what you want to load.

6/ If you don't see your HD under devices, you may have a bad cable or the HD may not work with your system, or any number of crazy things.

Again, this is where I would start.  HTH

Honored Contributor

And if all else fails, post on the My Passport message boards.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Respected Contributor

@Deree wrote:

@glb613   I hate to sound stupid  - well -  I'm not sure what I'm supposed to drag and drop or copy/paste.  There are hundreds of files backed up from my Win 7 pc and most of those files are gobbledygoo to me the way they are listed. It's my understanding it will take a few hours to upload all these files to my Win10 pc. 

I see others have posted links to help.  What you need to move from one computer to another are photos, documents and downloads.  As already posted, there are videos and written instructions found online which can help you figure out what to do.