Respected Contributor

Having trouble with Centurylink modem/router problem. Any advice?

I have several Amazon products including Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle HD, Kindle HDX and the Echo.

I can use them all at home fine. I have a Centurylink modem/router that they provide.

At work (my store) I also use Centurylink service with a modem they provide. It is a different model though. My Echo and Paperwhite can't pick up the wifi at work. All the other wifi networks show up on them but mine. I have tried manually putting in the network and that doesn't work either. The HD and HDX plus my phone works fine on my work wifi.

I called Centurylink and I checked all the settings with them. They walked me through it. They made sure the signal was "visible" and that it was on channel 6. This is all above my head, but I did what they said.

He told me it wasn't there problem. Everything is like it should be and that it must be my devices.

It can't be my devices because they work fine at home. They said they would send me a new modem (same model), but that won't guarantee that it will fix the problem. I told them I wanted the same model that I have at home and they said those aren't the ones they provide for businesses.

Should I just buy my own at a place I can return it to in case it doesn't work either?

They said if they send a tech out and it is my problem, it will cost me a lot.

Anyone have this happen?

Respected Contributor

Re: Having trouble with Centurylink modem/router problem. Any advice?

Are you sure you are entering the correct security number? I have my router channel set for auto. Have you tried changing the channel?

Respected Contributor

Do you know the specific network name? It may be set-up to not be visible, so you won't see it appear on your list of available networks. You should be able to manually key in a network name and then the password and then connect. Make sure you set it then to always connect when in range of that network so you don't have to key it in every time.

Respected Contributor

On 3/14/2015 glb613 said:

Are you sure you are entering the correct security number? I have my router channel set for auto. Have you tried changing the channel?

Yes, I'm entering the correct security number. I don't like those complicated security passcodes, so when I had the modems installed, I had Centurylink change them to an old phone number as the code so that it is easy to remember.

I didn't try changing the channel. I just made sure it was on 6 because that is what the tech guy said. I don't think I can get to the place to try changing the channel by myself. Should I call Centurylink back and tell them I want to try a different channel?

Respected Contributor

On 3/14/2015 Buck-i-Nana said:

Do you know the specific network name? It may be set-up to not be visible, so you won't see it appear on your list of available networks. You should be able to manually key in a network name and then the password and then connect. Make sure you set it then to always connect when in range of that network so you don't have to key it in every time.

Yes, I know the network name. The tech made sure that I had the visible turned on. Still doesn't show up. I manually put it in and it just says unable to connect.

I know the devices work because I brought them home last night and they connect right up.

I don't understand how my Kindle HD and Kindle HDX can see the network but the Paperwhite and the Echo can't.

Frequent Contributor

The one difference between the HD and HDX is they support Dual Band WiFi. It is possible your new router is set to only have the 5ghz radio enabled. The older devices would not see or be able to connect to that. You could have Centurylink check that for you.
Respected Contributor

On 3/14/2015 Rabid1 said: The one difference between the HD and HDX is they support Dual Band WiFi. It is possible your new router is set to only have the 5ghz radio enabled. The older devices would not see or be able to connect to that. You could have Centurylink check that for you.

My HD and HDX connect. My Paperwhite (their newest one) and my Echo (also a new product) don't connect.

So do I still need to see if my router is set to only have the 5 ghz radio enabled?

I'm confused.

Thanks!

Esteemed Contributor

You should contact Amazon. The paperwhite is a single band device, and the "Echo" is a dual band device.

Respected Contributor

Wooohooo! I called Centurylink again this morning and the guy actually knew what he was doing. It was fixed in about 60 seconds. I had a corrupted passkey? Whatever??? LOL

I can't believe all that dumb tech had me go through yesterday.

The smart guy today said I could call his superviser and leave a message as to what happened. The guy yesterday was of no help at all!

Thanks for all your suggestions. A lesson to me is that sometimes you need to call back and you might get someone smarter! LOL

Honored Contributor

Mima - I hope you do call the guy's supervisor and tell that person how helpful this second guy was. So often, once a problem is fixed, we just move on and forget to "thank" the person who helped and it means a lot to his career, if his supervisor knows he did a good job.

Also, it might be a chance for a "teachable moment" for the first guy to be shown what to look for next time. That "dumb tech" may just be new at the job and trying everything he's been shown. Believe me, help desk jobs are not all that straightforward! They're under time pressure to help you and get on to the next customer and their pay, reviews and job depend on how "productive" they are. In other words, how fast they can help someone and how many problems they resolve satisfactorily in a day, while remaining calm under pressure. (And frustrated customers provide a LOT of pressure!)

Glad you got it sorted out, but it would be nice to make sure the second guy gets the credit for it.