Honored Contributor

Re: Have you seen any of these in your neighborhood?

There are two type of radiation. Ionizing and non-ionizing. Cellular, including 5g is non-ionizing and is generally considered to be safe. There have been no real-world studies showing a mechanism where this type of non-ionizing radiation can cause harm to people, even at levels far higher than anyone could experience outside a laboratory.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Occasional Contributor

When I see those 5G cell towers, I see more people getting sick with cancer. 😱😭
Honored Contributor

@gardenman wrote:

There are two type of radiation. Ionizing and non-ionizing. Cellular, including 5g is non-ionizing and is generally considered to be safe. There have been no real-world studies showing a mechanism where this type of non-ionizing radiation can cause harm to people, even at levels far higher than anyone could experience outside a laboratory.

@gardenman   This is one time that I really hope that I'm wrong and worrying about nothing!  I will ask and look up information about ironizing & non-ionizing radiation.

Honored Contributor

@haddon9 wrote:

@gardenman wrote:

@gardenman   This is one time that I really hope that I'm wrong and worrying about nothing!  I will ask and look up information about ironizing & non-ionizing radiation.

The site howtogeek.com has a pretty good article on the risks of 5G that gives pretty good detail without bogging things down too much.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Respected Contributor

I have been watching, reading and listening to the 5G debate for years now (several years now) and there does seem to be cause for concern if not alarm.  Most interesting though is how the rest of the world is taking pause to spend more time to further research into the issues - yet here in the US we just storm in like a bull in a china shop.  The lobbyists pushed this through the government fast and hard.

I think the rest of the planet is going to watch us a part of their studies.....

Honored Contributor

Comcast/Xfinity provided me with a new wi-fi router a couple of years ago, and I am now connected to 5G.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

I live kinda in the country, but near other areas....

I was upset years ago when they put up cell towers in my area.

We protested the area and made them put them around more trees so they wouldn’t be an eye sore.

I just don’t trust a lot of this electronic stuff...so much room for abuse, but like OP said...”they are a comin’ like it or not...”🙄

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@NickNack 

I have Xfinity also and my router has a 5G light on it and it's flashing all the time. I don't know what that means but I think it has something to do with those devices they put up in my neighborhood recently.

Honored Contributor

Okay. Time to clear up some confusion. The 5Ghz on a router is not the same 5G that's the cellular service. They're completely different animals. The 5Ghz on a router is simply like a different radio station on a radio. It lets compatible devices use two channels (or radio stations if you prefer) at the same time, doubling the amount of data that can be transmitted. The 5G wireless/cellular service operates at different frequencies using vastly different technology. To follow the radio station analogy, the 5Ghz on a router would be like having a music radio station and a news station playing at the same time so you can enjoy music, but not miss any breaking news. The 5G cellular would be like every radio station on the dial being played at the same time in a way that you could hear and understand everything.

The 5G cellular service uses a range of frequencies up to 72Ghz, instead of just 5 Ghz. The higher frequencies let more data be transmitted (up to 50 Gbps in labs but providers have agreed to a 20-25Gbps cap in the real world.) The higher frequencies limit the range however, so some companies use lower frequencies that limits the volume of data that can be transmitted, but is cheaper to install and has a better range.

And the US is far from being the guinea pig for this tech. Korea has it already deployed and about five million people are already using it. China's right with them, and I believe some of the Scandinavian countries are also fully deploying it already, as we're just now starting to roll it out. As I said before, this is non-ionizing radiation and no one has been able to show how this type of non-ionizing radiation can do any harm under normal conditions, even with vastly larger exposure than in the real world. I believe only one lab study showed any possible harmful effect, but the results were within the margin of error and the rest of the animals in that test lived longer than the ones not exposed to the 5G signals.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

Oh okay. 5G stands for 5th Generation cellular wireless as opposed to 5 Ghz of radio wave energy...got it!