Trusted Contributor

Re: Has this happened to you on Facebook?

It's possible one of your friends sent a friend suggestion. If I'm not mistaken, when the request is received it appears as an ordinary friend request.

www.facebook.com/help/154758887925123#How-do-I-suggest-a-friend-to-someone?

Respected Contributor

Don't worry about it. Facebook can find people who attended the same school and make the friend suggestion. If he uses FB a lot, I'm sure he realizes you weren't looking for him. This same thing has probably happened to him.

Respected Contributor

On 8/24/2014 Reva said:

Yes, this happened to me also. I have since deleted my facebook account because I was getting all kinds of strange messages on it. You have to be so careful on social media...it's not worth it and your privacy is compromised.

You're kidding, right? You have no privacy once you get online. It's not just Facebook either.

Esteemed Contributor

Nope never.... I do not put myself on Face book.

Respected Contributor

Thanks for your suggestions on how to see if I actually sent a request by mistake.

Thanks again!

Respected Contributor

On 8/24/2014 Matty6 said:

Nope never.... I do not put myself on Face book.

Don't but not being on Facebook doesn't mean your information is private. It isn't.

Trusted Contributor

If you "unfriend" someone, do they get a message that you've unfriended them? How do they find out you've done this.

Originally joined board 12-14-2004
Honored Contributor

Facebook is the absolute worst culprit in this ridiculous oversharing concept. It just gives them more people counts to sell to their advertisers.

Respected Contributor

On 8/25/2014 morganjen said:

If you "unfriend" someone, do they get a message that you've unfriended them? How do they find out you've done this.

I don't think they know unless they "notice" you missing from their friends list.

Frequent Contributor

On 8/24/2014 Reva said:

Yes, this happened to me also. I have since deleted my facebook account because I was getting all kinds of strange messages on it. You have to be so careful on social media...it's not worth it and your privacy is compromised.

My husband said years ago that the minute we go online our privacy is "compromised"! With a Facebook account, you put up what you want. Who says you need to put up your family history or hundreds of photos? So many people use it as a vehicle to stay in touch with friends and family. Many are private accounts with friends-only access! I've heard a few people with complaints about FB, but they usually parrot things they've heard and really have no firsthand experience with. Have the grands or kids explain how FB works! You won't be sorry. And FYI...your account is always there for you when you want it. Just re-enter your email and pass and voila...