Trusted Contributor

Has anyone bought the new, cheaper iPad?

I was thinking of getting one and would like to know if anyone has bought one and if so, are you happy with it?

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Has anyone bought the new, cheaper iPad?

There may be reviews online at Apple. You may find reviews comparing the products on YouTube. 

Honored Contributor

@itsmetoo wrote:

I was thinking of getting one and would like to know if anyone has bought one and if so, are you happy with it?

@itsmetoo- I haven't because I already have a 9.7 inch ipad and just bought a new mini, but from what I understand, it's the same ipad as it's always been.  They've just lowered the price.  So it should be great.

If I'm wrong I apologize.  I'll google it a little later this morning when I have more time.

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Regular Contributor

I ordered it and it's supposed to arrive some time next week. I've currently got a 6 year old ipad 2 which barely operates at this point.

Seriously considered the ipad pro but couldn't get past the price difference.... I'll report back once I've received and used it.

Esteemed Contributor

@NigelSparkles, I will be interested in your comments.  I just bought ipad pro 9.7".  The Pro 9.7" has better specs than the large Pro.  I didn't like the fact that they downgraded the new ipad somewhat.  I remain to be convinced that the Pro I bought was worth the extra $.  It is sleek and thinner than my ipad 3.   I am kind of one for the latest and greatest which is not always a good thing!  LM

Esteemed Contributor

@gidgetgh, I think they dummed down the specs on the new ipad to make it more price competitive.  I don't know exactly what they changed though (thinking camera maybe and speakers).  LM

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

Thank you all for your replies.  I've really tried to do my homework and I don't think I can justify paying the extra $270 for the same size Pro.  In tech reviews I've read the difference in the chip won't be noticable by most people.  It doesn't have the anti-glare screen but neither does my current iPad and that's never been a problem, I don't use mine outside anyway. The camera specs on the new iPad are better than the specs on my current iPad and my current iPad takes great pictures.  A big difference is that the new iPad isn't compatible with the keyboard or the pencil.  For me that's something I'm not interested in anyway.  Gee ... I think I just talked myself out of spending the extra $270 on the Pro and will go with the new iPad!  Would love to hear your reviews @NigelSparkles when you get yours. 

Regular Contributor

@Lilysmom, I seriously thought about all that - I love the latest bells and whistles too. I settled on the cheaper one not only because of the price. I don't have a problem using the on scren keyboard, so the special one isn't sometihng I need or want. The Apple pen really attracted me, but I don't know that I'd use it more than every now and then to play around with.

The specs that were removed for the new ipad - the laminated screen and the anti-glare I won't miss since my current model is ipad2 from 2011. None of those are on it. I don't use it for taking photos.

I think I'll be happy with it - right now I'm dealing with apps that will no longer work, websites that won't load and sudden crashes. I figure there will be all kinds of new features in the next few years and I can upgrade then.

Esteemed Contributor

I ordered it last week.It's due to arrive next week!! I can't wait.This will be my first one!!

I did a lot of research before I purchased it.The main difference in the new iPad is that it doesn't have the anti glare screen.My current HP tablet doesn't have it either.I don't need an anti glare screen because I only use my tablet indoors.

I also went on Amazon & ordered a  tempered glass screen saver & a nice case for a total of $28!!

I'm so excited!!

Honored Contributor

@NicksmomESQ wrote:

I ordered it last week.It's due to arrive next week!! I can't wait.This will be my first one!!

I did a lot of research before I purchased it.The main difference in the new iPad is that it doesn't have the anti glare screen.My current HP tablet doesn't have it either.I don't need an anti glare screen because I only use my tablet indoors.

I also went on Amazon & ordered a  tempered glass screen saver & a nice case for a total of $28!!

I'm so excited!!

@NicksmomESQ, I hope you enjoy your new iPad. Please report back to use when you get a chance to use it!