Honored Contributor

Re: Has Anyone Bought a New Computer in the Last Three Months and Loves It?

DH bought an HP Pavilion Touch Screen 15-N046US 15" Laptop before Christmas for around $700. It has 8GB DDR3L SDRAM, 750GD Hard Drive, 4th generation Intel i5 4200U Processor. It also has a numeric keypad as he won't buy a laptop without it. It had version 8 but upgraded to 8.1 As far as I know when you buy a computer with version 8 you can upgrade to 8.1 If you need any other specs let me know & I will post them. Check out the laptops online at Sam's.

Honored Contributor

I bought the TSV Dell 17" Inspiron QVC offered about 4-6 weeks ago. So far I'm having a great time with it, no problems at all. I have completely set it up to suit my taste. If you're interested in the specs, I will post them. Otherwise, I can only say that I compared the package deal the Q offered against what I could purchase from Dell directly (where I have always purchased them before) and found I was saving a lot of money on the Dell bundle. The only additional program I had to buy was MS Outlook, which I can't live without. I bought that directly from Microsoft.

My last Dell lasted seven years. I bought that directly from Dell.

If I could have afforded it, I would have bought the Lenovo.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Honored Contributor

Caffeinated, thank you for your post. How does the glass screen feel as compared to your older computers? Do you have much glare? My computer tuned on and was working and was being set up. It was very similar to yours. When I turned it back on the display would not come on. The machine was on and the company's technical support people walked me through checks to see what the problem was. They determined it was defective and offered to fix it, but it was only two hours old, so I am returning to the store for a refund. I thought the newer plastic on it was flimsier than my Netbook and I bought the same size screen as yours, but it had a lot of glare. The screen glass didn't feel the same as my phone, Netbook or any computers I have worked with. I sure wish it would have been ok. Your model is almost the same, your A10 processor is faster, I chose A8, but I had a terabyte of storage. I had a VGA port too, I need this port. I wonder why I got a lemon. Mine had 8.1. Nightowlz, thank you, too. I'm reluctant to buy anything , now.

Trusted Contributor

On 3/29/2014 nutmeg3 said:
On 3/29/2014 Caffeina said:

I got a 17.3" HP Pavilion last month from walmart.com. They put a bunch on clearance before bringing in updated models. The clearance items are gone, but they still have a good selection.

I paid $498, it was originally $598. It doesn't have MS Office, but I use free Apache Open Office. I dumped the Norton. The quality seems to be better than my old HP laptop, and I'm 100% pleased with it. No complaints, not even about Windows 8.1.

Key Features and Benefits:

<ul> <li>AMD Elite Quad-Core A10-5750M accelerated processor<br /> 3.50GHz, 4MB L2 Cache</li> <li>8GB DDR3 SDRAM system memory<br /> Gives you the power to handle most power-hungry applications and tons of multimedia work</li> <li>750GB SATA hard drive<br /> Store 500,000 photos, 214,000 songs or 395 hours of HD video and more on the HP Pavilion Laptop PC with Windows 8 Operating System</li> <li>10/100Base-T Ethernet, 802.11b/g/n Wireless LAN<br /> Connect to a broadband modem with wired Ethernet or wirelessly connect to a WiFi signal or hotspot with the 802.11b/g/n connection built into your Silver 17-e049wm HP Pavilion 17.3" Laptop with AMD Elite Quad-Core A10-5750M Accelerated Processor</li> <li>17.3" HD+ BrightView LED-backlit display<br /> AMD Radeon HD 8650G Discrete-Class Graphics with up to 4206MB total graphics memory</li> </ul>

<br /> Additional Features:

<ul> <li>The HP Pavilion Laptop PC with Windows 8 Operating System has a HP TrueVision HD webcam</li> <li>2 x USB 3.0 ports, 1 x USB 2.0 port, 1 x headphone-out/microphone-in combo jack, 1 x RJ-45 Ethernet port, 1 x VGA port, 1 x HDMI port</li> <li>6-cell lithium-ion battery</li> </ul>

<br /> Software:

<ul> <li>Genuine Microsoft Windows 8 Operating System</li> <li>Norton Internet Security (60-day subscription)</li> <li>HP Recovery Manager</li> </ul>

This I probably a very nice computer, but is running Window 8. The latest version is 8.1. A new computer should come with the current software.

That's why it was on clearance. As soon as I set it up I updated everything.

Regular Contributor

I recently purchased HP Pavillion 17.3" laptop I think it's very much like Caffeina's. I love it! My only issue was Windiws 8 or 8.1. After a bit of research on how others were managing their dislike of windows 8 & 8.1, I installed Classic Shell which is like a skin, only the way items within the OS appear to look is different.
Super Contributor

On 3/29/2014 Ford1224 said:

I bought the TSV Dell 17" Inspiron QVC offered about 4-6 weeks ago. So far I'm having a great time with it, no problems at all. I have completely set it up to suit my taste. If you're interested in the specs, I will post them. Otherwise, I can only say that I compared the package deal the Q offered against what I could purchase from Dell directly (where I have always purchased them before) and found I was saving a lot of money on the Dell bundle. The only additional program I had to buy was MS Outlook, which I can't live without. I bought that directly from Microsoft.

My last Dell lasted seven years. I bought that directly from Dell.

If I could have afforded it, I would have bought the Lenovo.

Hi was that the Dell TSV that was on March 16 ? it sold out my husband said that was a very good deal from QVC for the specs and what you were getting. He checked the stores in our area and Dell's website and QVC still had a better deal.

Honored Contributor

Caffina, I just checked Walmart and they are out of stock in my area. I know you bought on clearance, but I checked, anyway. Mine had 8.1 and there was information on the Microsoft Website that said you can use older versions of Office with 8.1. Maybe you want to switch over to it, but check at Microsoft for all the older software it will support. I went to Amazon and there were similar computers. BTW, Most Walmart raters are praising your model, but there are a few with out of box defectives, too. I hate worrying if mine will be a lemon or not.

Honored Contributor

2000suvivor, could you please explain Classic Shell. Thank you.

Could you also give me exact model number/name and some specs and where you bought your computer. If you don't want to share, no problem.
Trusted Contributor

On 3/29/2014 Mindy D said:

Caffeinated, thank you for your post. How does the glass screen feel as compared to your older computers? Do you have much glare? My computer tuned on and was working and was being set up. It was very similar to yours. When I turned it back on the display would not come on. The machine was on and the company's technical support people walked me through checks to see what the problem was. They determined it was defective and offered to fix it, but it was only two hours old, so I am returning to the store for a refund. I thought the newer plastic on it was flimsier than my Netbook and I bought the same size screen as yours, but it had a lot of glare. The screen glass didn't feel the same as my phone, Netbook or any computers I have worked with. I sure wish it would have been ok. Your model is almost the same, your A10 processor is faster, I chose A8, but I had a terabyte of storage. I had a VGA port too, I need this port. I wonder why I got a lemon. Mine had 8.1. Nightowlz, thank you, too. I'm reluctant to buy anything , now.

It feels just as secure and the display is bright and clear. No problem with glare.

There's two new similar laptops on Walmart's site, one HP and one Dell. Both have AMD A10, 8GB RAM, 1TB hard drive, and Windows 8.1. The HP has a VGA port.

Trusted Contributor

Check Costco. They have 90 day unconditional return policy. They also have free tech support and 1 yr extended warranty. Last night my husband bought a Toshiba with windows 7 because he doesnt want version 8. It doesnt have extra programs but that ok we have programs we can download (office). All of the free installed programs take up memory. It has an Intel i3 processor, that will be fine for what he uses it for, and 1 terrabyte memory. It was $499. I think 17 in. screen. I also bought a Dell through Costco about 4 years ago and its still going strong.