Respected Contributor

HP printer stopped printing in color

Help

My HP printer just stopped printing in color.  I did nothing to cause this.

I checked the print properties and grayscale is "off."  I have plenty of colored ink and I have done printer maintenance.  I have turned it off and back on.  Nothing helps.

I have run the troubleshooter and everything is fine - so it says.

What can I do?

Honored Contributor

Re: HP printer stopped printing in color

Try removing the printer from the Printers & Scanners section found under the System Settings. Reboot after you have removed your printer form the device list and then go back and add that printer back into your system.

Honored Contributor

@Isobel Archer wrote:

Help

My HP printer just stopped printing in color.  I did nothing to cause this.

I have plenty of colored ink

Did you check your "black ink?"  Depending on your modle HP printer (which you did not mention) If low, your printer may not print.

What can I do?

Did you check your "supply level" app?

Screen Shot 2022-01-19 at Wed, Jan 19, 2022-2.49.10 PM.png

Researched HP support site?  Wealth of info there.

Post in HP support forums?

Researched YouTube for help?

@Isobel Archer 

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

Have you tried a different color cartridge?  Just because it may show it still has ink left doesn't necessarily mean it will print in color.  Something else may be wrong with it.

I've had a few cartridges, both color and black, over the years that I have had to replace even though they appeared to be fine.

Respected Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

Try removing the printer from the Printers & Scanners section found under the System Settings. Reboot after you have removed your printer form the device list and then go back and add that printer back into your system.

Tried that.  Didn't work.

Respected Contributor

@Mz iMac @geezerette 

It printed in color in the morning.  I went to print later that day - no color.  Same ink - which I just replenished the week before - all colors.

I have tried the HP forums.  They all tell me to - check the ink, check the print properties to be sure grayscale is off, do the printer maintenance, reboot, remove and reinstall the printer, update the printer apps, clean and align the printhead.

I have done all that and no change.  It's definitely a mystery.  It worked fine and then suddenly it doesn't.

Honored Contributor

I agree with @geezerette  about changing out the cartridge(s). 

Honored Contributor

@Isobel Archer   In addition to geezerete's excellent advice, make sure you are using HP cartridges & NOT a generic/no name brand.

Which model HP printer do you have & its age?  Time for a new printer?

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Isobel Archer - It could be an issue with the drivers for your printer (even though you didn't do anything).

We run into this occasionally when Windows does something behind the scenes.

Go into your settings and do a search for any updated drivers to make sure you have the latest version.

I hope you find the solution.  These things are irritating!

(One other thing.  Until recently we had both an HP printer and a Brother Laser printer.  We now only have the Brother, but the same thing happens, when Windows installs its generic drivers instead of the dedicated Brother drivers.)

Respected Contributor

According to the troubleshooter my drivers are up to date.

The cartridges are hp and are the right ones.  It's an hp officejet pro 6970.  It's about 2 years old. 

It has printed in color just fine until this week.  As I said, it printed in the morning, and then if the afternoon, it stopped printing in color.