New Contributor

HP i5 TSV Laptop - Don't order as a GIFT!

If you want to surprise your special someone, in this case, my husband, do NOT pre-order anything HP from QVC and have it sent to your home. I did the pre-order of this laptop and, due to delivery being delayed by over a week, it came when he was home. It comes in an HP laptop box, just like you see on the shelves at electronic stores, plainly marked "HP Laptop."  He says, "Thanks for getting me a laptop for Christmas!." to which I replied, "I hate QVC."
My suggestion would be have any gift item delivered to a trustworthy neighbor or family member, because QVC / HP (in my experience) makes no effort to disguise what's in the package (it's typically printed on an outside label). We buy two gifts for each other and I'm truly disappointed that my husband knows what one of them is. I can't say if the laptop is good or bad right now. At this point? I'm ready to let him see me return it to QVC. Then I can go to Best Buy, buy another and disguise the box in a box in a box. 

Honored Contributor

Re: HP i5 TSV Laptop - Don't order as a GIFT!

I've noticed that there is now a 'disclaimer' on the product pages saying that the item may come in a box with the product name on the outside, in case it is a gift.

Sorry you didn't see that and your surprise was ruined.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

It's so odd that they ship them without an outer shipping box.   I've heard, for a while now as IG mentioned, that they do put that disclaimer on the product pages.

I don't order computers from shopping networks, but the many I've ordered directly from manufacturers, or from retailers such as Amazon or BB have always come with the laptop box packed inside a shipping box.

I would not be happy about having it not even packed.  But they do disclose that, so it would be on me if I ordered from them.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

On every presentation they stated about the HP laptops arriving with HP on the box and that you may want to ship to another address.

If I wasn't aware of this and it came and my husband saw it I would have told him it was for a friend of mine. Then I would have my friend pick it up and keep it for me.

The thought of you doing something so nice for your husband should not be diminished because he saw the box. I would just put it up until Christmas as he didn't see what color, size, or model it is. Things like this have happened to me and I just put it up and change the subject. All is good. You are a great wife getting a wonderful gift for your husband. Maybe you should just tell him it was yours to yourself for Christmas.

Valued Contributor

@HizWife   Would you please use a regular (not bold) font when you write something, and learn to put in paragraphs. Your copy will be much easier to read. Thank you.

Honored Contributor

zitawins wrote:

@HizWife   Would you please use a regular (not bold) font when you write something, and learn to put in paragraphs. Your copy will be much easier to read. Thank you.

That's a nice suggestion.  All bolded, aside from being kind of yelly, hurts the eyes, as do mondo-paragraphs.  Smiley Happy     I miss a lot because I usually skip through anything that's all bolded, all caps, or now I'm seeing entire posts italicized and I can't figure out who they are quoting.

Honored Contributor

I bought a TV from the Q a year or so ago and was surprised that it was in a plain brown box over the msnufactuer's box with the advertising.  It wasn't a gift so the extra cardboard was for nought.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

I would be afraid that someone would see the box and steal it in a heartbeat!

Honored Contributor

@HizWife wrote:

If you want to surprise your special someone, in this case, my husband, do NOT pre-order anything HP from QVC and have it sent to your home. I did the pre-order of this laptop and, due to delivery being delayed by over a week, it came when he was home. It comes in an HP laptop box, just like you see on the shelves at electronic stores, plainly marked "HP Laptop."  He says, "Thanks for getting me a laptop for Christmas!." to which I replied, "I hate QVC."
My suggestion would be have any gift item delivered to a trustworthy neighbor or family member, because QVC / HP (in my experience) makes no effort to disguise what's in the package (it's typically printed on an outside label). We buy two gifts for each other and I'm truly disappointed that my husband knows what one of them is. I can't say if the laptop is good or bad right now. At this point? I'm ready to let him see me return it to QVC. Then I can go to Best Buy, buy another and disguise the box in a box in a box. 

@HizWife, oh that’s too bad, I’m sure he was happy and surprised anyway. Be grateful he was home for the package and it wasn’t stolen. I saw on the news a seasonal UPS worker dropped off a package to a home ( it was a new iPhone). He came back about two hours later, saw it was still there and took it. Luckily the house had a surveillance camera, and he was fired and arrested. I wonder why for something that expensive the company wouldn’t require a signature, trying to track down a missing package must cost the company time and money.

Esteemed Contributor

They are shipped directly from company.  They don't If it's a gift.