New Contributor

HP desktop actually NOT an HP????

Okay this is unbelievable but everyone that's thinking about buying a name brand computer from QVC should see this. I don't want to believe this is true but HP assures me that it is true. It seems like I may have purchased a fake HP pavilion desktop from QVC.
40 days ago I bought an HP pavilion refurbished computer from QVC. It came with a one-year warranty so I thought I'd take a chance. It was around $1,500.
Today it wouldn't turn on randomly So I called HP to use my year warranty and talk to their tech support. HP told me that my desktop is not an HP. I couldn't believe it so I hung up with them and called back. I got another agent. They tried to pull it up and said that even a refurbished computer has a serial number that can be pulled up by HP. My serial number and the rest of the numbers on the back are not anything HP has ever made.
The second guy had me send a picture of the sticker attached to the bottom of my computer. He confirmed after looking at it that it cannot possibly be an actual HP product. So the one year warranty is worth nothing. I can't register this computer with HP or use tech support. Not ever.
When I called QVC they told me that I had no other option but two get a replacement of the same thing. I told them that when the computer arrived the box was in very bad shape and it literally fell apart as I was taking it out of the box 40 days ago. This computer is about the size of my oven in my kitchen. There is no box tall enough to get this back to them. And even if I was able to find a box to do the return, I can't get my money back.
If I were a big box retailer and a customer proved that I just sold them a fake HP product, I would be tripping over myself to make it right. I wouldn't be worried about them sending the fake HP back even because what are they going to do with that? Resell it to some unsuspecting customer? I'm really upset about this.
I called HP in total three times because I could not believe it. I thought that perhaps the agent didn't know what they were talking about. Perhaps there was a different system at HP for refurbished items? None of that was the case. Each time and even after looking at the photograph of the serial number area where there's four or five different numbers, they said none of those numbers match any of their computers.
This is like buying a Coach bag and then finding out that it's a knock off.
Before today, the computer did well. It says it's an HP. Even when it boots up it says HP.
So if I can't register the product with HP because they say it's not theirs, how do I get tech support QVC? How do I exercise my 1-year warranty? How do I get what I ordered which was an HP pavilion all in one desktop? I want one that I can communicate with the manufacturer when I need tech support. I cannot believe that all these people at HP are misinformed. That's really not possible.
So I was sent a computer that says HP but isn't HP? I have no way to get any tech support because I have no idea who the actual manufacturer is of my unit.
I'm so upset. The QVC agent said they would escalate it and have someone reach out in 5 to 10 days. I don't believe anyone's going to reach out to me about this non-existent HP computer that they sold me.
I do have still part of the box that it came in and even the box says HP. But The box is not in good enough shape to use for mailing.
And why would I go through all that just to get another fake HP?
I think after proving that this computer isn't actually an HP, QVC should find a real HP pavilion and send it to me regardless of what happens to this unknown brand that they mailed to me. I didn't ask for a non-authentic HP computer the size of my kitchen oven. I bought an actual huge HP computer. That's not what I received. So my $1,500 was wasted. I thought the deal was too good to be true.
I think that I'm going to go straight to the attorney general And file a case. This is horrible.
I don't know if there's any possibility that all three of those HP agents were misinformed but I think there's pretty much no chance of that being the case. So if this isn't an HP I wonder if they can tell me what it is? Since I seem to be stuck with it I would like to know the actual manufacturer so I can get it registered someplace and get some kind of tech support for this unknown brand computer that says HP.
I cannot believe this. When I sent the picture to HP and they confirmed it's not theirs, that pretty much does a way with the idea that it could be an HP mistake.
I'm not sure how I'm going to prove this but I'm going to contact HP in the morning and see if I could get something in writing from them to attach to my complaint to the attorney general. This is absolutely outrageous. I didn't want a different brand. I wanted HP and that's what I bought and that's not what they sent but somehow all this becomes my problem to try to figure out how to get there unknown brand back to them. And the woman can't guarantee that what I'm going to receive will be an HP product. Why would I go through all that when they're going to send me the exact same thing? I see on the website there's only one left. Next thing you know it's going to completely disappear from their website. I never thought I would be scammed by a company like QVC but it appears that's what happened here.
Honored Contributor

Re: HP desktop actually NOT an HP????

Before you notify the AG......

Suggest you send an email to:  QVCSocialTeam@qvc.com

Include your ORDER NUMBER in the email.  The  MODS/Social team will sort this out for you hopefully.

Good luck!

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Trusted Contributor

A few things are possible.

1. You got a customer return who put this unknown computer in the box you received.  When I worked for a toy retailer, people did it all the time with video game systems.

2. QVC should want the computer back so they can get their credit from HP, if warranted.  UPS will pick it up at your house if needed.  As far as a box, if you don't have one ask for a large box at a grocery or other retail store.  They love to give them away.

3. I'm not sure if this is an attorney general issue.  This couldn't be a regular practice for QVC or we'd be reading about it all the time.  I'd be more likely to go through my credit card company to get my money back.  I use Amex for everything online and they are fantastic at resolving these issues pretty quickly.  Best of luck. 

Honored Contributor

You also might investigate filing a complaint with the Federal Trade Commission.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Valued Contributor

Of course this is an attorney general issue -

You paid $1,500 for a computer (that's outrageous, I purchased my HP at Walmart for a few hundred, and it's great!), which is a lot of money and you have experienced fraud!

Report this, because it will be happening to others as well.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Jstlkhvn - You haven't said what the item number is (that's always helpful).

I haven't read through all of your post because I find it difficult without paragraphs.

I did just find online E313878 that would be close to $1500, by the time you've added in S&H and tax.

Curious to know what it was that you ordered.

Posting the FAQ about refurbished in a separate reply.  Sounds like you have a good case for QVC to allow you to return it and refund your money.  (And they should help you out with a suitable box either via UPS or FedEX.)

Honored Contributor

FAQs

• What is the difference between Refurbished and Open-box items? Refurbished Goods: the manufacturer's inspection process ensures products have been repaired and restored to like-new condition. All parts and accessories that would have been included with the original product are present. Open-Box goods: the 3rd party inspection process ensures that certified products have been inspected to confirm all parts are in like-new condition. All parts and accessories that would have been included with the original product are present (or suitable replacements).
  • Are refurbished/Open-Box goods returnable? Yes, these items all have the same return policy that a new item would
  • Do refurbished/open-box items have warranties? Yes, please visit the specific item’s page to view the warranty.
  • Do refurbished/open-box items come with all original components? Refurbished goods come with all original components that have been restored to/are in like-new conditions. Open-box goods come with all original components (or suitable replacements) and are in like-new condition.
  • What condition are refurbished/open-box goods in when sold? All refurbished and open-box goods are in like-new condition when sold to QVC customers.
  • Can I register my product with the manufacturer? Yes, your product can be registered as normal with the manufacturer.
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Jstlkhvn 

Font too small 4 me.

hckynut(john)🥅🏒 🇺🇸

hckynut(john)
Valued Contributor

$1,500 seems awfully pricey for a 'refurbished' computer.

Honored Contributor

@Jstlkhvn - What a mess. My first thought after I read your post is the same advice @Mz iMac said. I would just forward your entire post to them.

I'm sure QVC will work with you to make everything right. I think it was a mistake. Refurbished products have to be labeled that.

Good luck!