Valued Contributor

HELP!!I have a 17" monitor but qvc is only 8 inches wide and i can't read anything

I found the magnifier glass- but it doesn't allow any variation ---goes from tiny ( they consider 100% full size I guess ---to extremely large 500% not fitting on screen! I am exasperated trying to find answers on this new laptop- and everything is so touchy- when I do get to where I want to go- it disappears- they lie about being able to get back "to our old windows 7 screen too. Just try to find stuff there- the old control panel option pops in and out before you can move the dam cursor and the keys are smaller. (HP) and hard to press- the only way to scroll is to go way over to the right with the tiny bar --on my old laptop I can just hold the left and keypad and my cursor anywhere on the screen will let me scroll. I desperately needed a new laptop and figured windows 7 would go the way of xp and yet 8.1 is like 2 steps backward if you ask me-- it takes 5 steps where it used to be 1 or 2.

I really need an answer to the question of how to enlarge my screen picture when I go to a website so it fills the screen like a normal laptop would. Anyone? PLEASE!! TIA!!!

Frequent Contributor

Re: HELP!!I have a 17"" monitor but qvc is only 8 inches wide and i can't read anything

I have learned thru the course of many years - to help myself find answers to questions that arise. You can put a short question in your browser search bar - hit enter then select a link to read. I did just that = "How to enlarge display screen in Windows 8.1" The link below is what I found. If you click on this link - or copy/paste into your browser search bar - you can select from categories that might help you along.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/get-best-display-monitor

Sometimes the answers you need are too complicated for people to answer quickly. So, in the future - I suggest you rely on the many answers you can find quickly online, without waiting for that magic person to respond. I bought a new DEL Notebook last year that had Windows 8 already loaded on it. I hated it. After the motherboard went bad and my tech guys (locally) did testing - Dell sent all new guts and in the meantime I had my tech guy wipe all the windows 8 off my notebook and install Windows 7 pro. Yes - it will go bye-bye at some point - but I'm too old to enjoy the swiping and touching of the screen. Good Luck!

Regular Contributor

Re: HELP!!I have a 17"" monitor but qvc is only 8 inches wide and i can't read anything

Hold the control key while tapping the + key. This will enlarge in small increments however it doesn't permanently enlarge. I have Windiws 8.1 and am still learning. Hopefully someone will post a better solution soon.
Frequent Contributor

On 5/1/2014 2000survivor said: Hold the control key while tapping the + key. This will enlarge in small increments however it doesn't permanently enlarge. I have Windiws 8.1 and am still learning. Hopefully someone will post a better solution soon.

2000survivor: Thank you so very much - I know this wasn't my post, but I didn't know about the (control +) feature. It works for me too as I have a smaller screen and sometimes things don't fit Smiley Happy

ETA: I used the opposite (control -)

Respected Contributor

Why not use a mouse? You don't have to use the touch pad or the touch screen if you don't like it. I've used a mouse with all of my notebook computers. I find the touch pad annoying and not precise enough for me. Windows 8 allows you to change a lot of things by pressing the Windows key(the one with the flag). If you are at the tiles screen, you can simply type what you want, the name of a program or control panel for example, and it will take you to it.

As posted. try holding down the control key then use the scroll feature on your mouse or the arrow keys to enlarge or shrink your screen size.

Super Contributor

On 5/1/2014 glb613 said:

Why not use a mouse? You don't have to use the touch pad or the touch screen if you don't like it. I've used a mouse with all of my notebook computers. I find the touch pad annoying and not precise enough for me. Windows 8 allows you to change a lot of things by pressing the Windows key(the one with the flag). If you are at the tiles screen, you can simply type what you want, the name of a program or control panel for example, and it will take you to it.

As posted. try holding down the control key then use the scroll feature on your mouse or the arrow keys to enlarge or shrink your screen size.

We got our new HP laptop yesterday first laptop we ever owned I did not like the touch pad at all so I just hooked up my wireless mouse had no problems setting up the laptop everything went smoothly everything connected and I had no problems connecting I really like 8.1 I been using it for awhile we had it on our All In One so I'm use to it. Our laptop arrived from China in good condition the box was in good shape and it was well packaged.

Honored Contributor

#1, you must have an HD computer. #2, QVC has two channels, one for non-HD computers and one for HD computers. Make sure you are using the channel for HD computers.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Valued Contributor

1)If I wanted a desktop, I would have ordered one therefore I could use a mouse---- However I wanted a "laptop" because I want to use it on my lap.

2)As for the Q having 2 channels--- can you expound on that??

3) Can anyone who got an HP or Dell TSV from the Q tell me if the SKYPE pre-installed is the free version? Clicked on it and didn't specify.

Respected Contributor

On 5/1/2014 dgluvr said:

1)If I wanted a desktop, I would have ordered one therefore I could use a mouse---- However I wanted a "laptop" because I want to use it on my lap.

3) Can anyone who got an HP or Dell TSV from the Q tell me if the SKYPE pre-installed is the free version? Clicked on it and didn't specify.

I hope you are using a chill pad. Otherwise, it won't last long.

Valued Contributor

On 5/1/2014 glb613 said:
On 5/1/2014 dgluvr said:

I hope you are using a chill pad. Otherwise, it won't last long.

Well, I read these forums often and I especially note YOUR responses glb316 and I"m just going to come out and say what others probably won't because they don't want to start a spat- but I think sometimes you feel you are ALL KNOWING AND SUPERIOR TO WE MORTALS WHO DARE TO ASK QUESTIONS.---- I've had a laptop for 6 years without using a Chill pad- the only reason I was looking to replace it is because the plastic covering over the hinge that holds the screen in position, broke. That said- I have only ever seen 2 of your replies that weren't taken as snide. ( fairly recent)and I often wonder why you even respond -it seems beneath you,--" who builds their own and sells them" How nice that you do have the knowledge. we don't all have that and that's why we ask questions. I frequently search for answers in many support forums--and I sometimes come up empty-- however I also find that sometimes if I check here- it may just pop up - and sometimes it's an obvious thing I overlooked but was reminded of it. Oh, and thanks for actually answering the question I did ask ( as did others) I actually knew that on my old one- it just didn't occur to me that with these new systems that it would work. Smiley Happy Have a good one whatever that may be.