Honored Contributor

Re: Got my ipad3 on the Q. Do I have to use ATT or Verizon with it?

On 4/15/2014 glb613 said:
On 4/15/2014 Usedtobeoxox said:

3G does not need a cellular connection, Wireless does, and it should be able to pick up the wifi service you use at home

Cellular is just that, cellular. Wireless is a cable or DSL connection broadcasted by a wireless router. You have it backwards.

I said the same exact thing you did

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Respected Contributor

On 4/16/2014 Usedtobeoxox said:
On 4/15/2014 glb613 said:
On 4/15/2014 Usedtobeoxox said:

3G does not need a cellular connection, Wireless does, and it should be able to pick up the wifi service you use at home

Cellular is just that, cellular. Wireless is a cable or DSL connection broadcasted by a wireless router. You have it backwards.

I said the same exact thing you did

No, you didn't. A 3G connection is cellular.

Honored Contributor

I was told the iPads they sell on Q & HSN that you have to buy a data plan to use the iPad when not home using your WiFi or near a hotspot. Is that right? What a rip-off if you cannot buy time only when you need it like I do. I bought my iPad online from Apple. I bought AT&T since Verizon is not available here. I see now they also have AT&T/Sprint or Verizon/T Mobile service. If you have an iPhone you can use it to get online with your iPad. I did that at Christmas when we were at the in-laws using my SIL's iPhone. Yes the original poster needs to know if she has AT&T or Verizon so she can buy a data plan if she does not have internet at home. I told her in my post above how to check to see which she has. I'm no techy but at least she should be able to see if it has an sd slot on the left side or not.

Honored Contributor

But to use your IPhone you have to "teather" it and set up a hotspot. AND you pay for the data used in the data plan for your phone and there are limits that can quickly be eaten up.

A hotspot has to have an iPhone with a data plan, and I believe the teathering option on that plan, and I think there is a cost for that. I might be wrong about this--hubby does it and I haven't paid much attention to the details.

Respected Contributor

Dee, do you have a wireless router at home? If so, you can use that. It doesn't matter what company you have it through.

You only need ATT or Verizon when you are away from your home.

If you are going to want to use it away from home, you need to see what version you have. If you bought it from QVC, you should be able to look at your past purchases and I would think it would say there.

You don't have to have a contract. You can just pay for a month if you need it that month. The rest of the time, just use your wireless connection at home.