Reply
Esteemed Contributor
Posts: 7,036
Registered: ‎08-07-2013

Re: Getting ready to buy a IPad or a tablet. which brands do you like and which would you prefer?

{#emotions_dlg.biggrin}Good evening all... Just wanted to update we decided on the Dell venue 7" android tablet. Got many good reviews has all we want and need on it. And was on sale and we got a case from Dell for free. Thanks again for all your good input, Have a good night!{#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

Honored Contributor
Posts: 13,835
Registered: ‎03-10-2010

Re: Getting ready to buy a IPad or a tablet. which brands do you like and which would you prefer?

Android is the most popular operating system by a long measure. If you for some reason prefer the "i guys" plan on spending a lot more and for a fixed amount of memory. Sure they do some things that cannot be done with an Android System, but it is debatable if many things that the Android does are better than the "i things".

I personally research and research before I buy any electronic device. When my wife wanted a tablet I read everything I could comparing the "i things" to an Android System. At that time an "i tablet" cost at least twice as much and also had a "fixed amount of memory". The ones I looked at did not even have a front facing camera.

Android all the way here and until something better comes along I haven't bought into any of the things put out by Apple when it comes to anything but Mac computers.

hckynut(john)
Respected Contributor
Posts: 4,859
Registered: ‎03-10-2010

Re: Getting ready to buy a IPad or a tablet. which brands do you like and which would you prefer?

Another vote for Kindle 8.1 HDX. Love it! It is several hundred dollars less than comparable IPad and display is better than DH Galaxy 10.1. Has the May Day button and dual cameras and talk about customer service; it's Amazon!

Super Contributor
Posts: 285
Registered: ‎03-09-2010

Re: Getting ready to buy a IPad or a tablet. which brands do you like and which would you prefer?

On 7/30/2014 jaxs mom said:
On 7/30/2014 dooBdoo said:
On 7/30/2014 glb613 said:
On 7/30/2014 ThinkOutsideTheBox said: I agree with what someone said earlier. I can only give you my PERSONAL feelings on this topic and they may be irrelevant for your purposes, but here goes..... I love my iPad. I love the sheer number of apps available, and I love its functionality. But, I am not an Apple fan-girl. I would never buy an Apple desktop, for example, unless I was rich and could have more than one desktop to play with (because I am a gamer, and because I like having an open system to work with and customize, ie: Windows 8.1 or Linux variations). I will say this though...my next tablet may very well be a Surface if the prices come down. Apple makes their tablets obsolete after three years or so, and I cannot afford to keep buying a new piece of hardware just because they lock out any further iOS updates to older units. I have a perfectly good original iPad that I used for all of two years before I could no longer update it. Since it cannot be updated, almost none of my preferred apps can be installed on it now. Expensive paperweight.

There is no reason why you can't still use it with the apps installed.

ITA, glb. I know folks who are still using their original iPads and iPad2s with no problems.

Smile

She's right about the issue with IOS. I have the original iPad I preordered when they first came out in 2010. There a apps I can't use because I'm stuck with IOS 5 since Apple won't allow me to update my IOS. We are now approaching the release of IOS 8 which I won't be able to upgrade to on my iPhone 4. They are much better with OSX when it comes to longevity of allowing updates.

Having said that. I have no desire to leave the world of Apple. I get a headache every time my husband has an issue with his windows computer and makes me help him fix it.

I don't think you'll find a smartphone or tablet that was released in 2010 that will allow an update of the latest operating system --- be it iOS or Android.

Super Contributor
Posts: 285
Registered: ‎03-09-2010

Re: Getting ready to buy a IPad or a tablet. which brands do you like and which would you prefer?

On 7/30/2014 hckynut said:

Android is the most popular operating system by a long measure. If you for some reason prefer the "i guys" plan on spending a lot more and for a fixed amount of memory. Sure they do some things that cannot be done with an Android System, but it is debatable if many things that the Android does are better than the "i things".

I personally research and research before I buy any electronic device. When my wife wanted a tablet I read everything I could comparing the "i things" to an Android System. At that time an "i tablet" cost at least twice as much and also had a "fixed amount of memory". The ones I looked at did not even have a front facing camera.

Android all the way here and until something better comes along I haven't bought into any of the things put out by Apple when it comes to anything but Mac computers.

Cross post from the other thread on this topic:

The reason that Android is the most popular operating system for mobile devices is because it is open source -- so every fly-by-night company can use it to run their inferior products. Some companies that use Android produce quality smart phones and tablets, but many do not. If you have been on the QVC electronics board for the last 3 years or so, you have seen cheap tablets offered that fail to have even the most rudimentary features. They run Android.

So, be very careful using market share to sway your opinion as to whether to buy an Android device. All Android devices are not the same because tons of companies use it to run their devices. Some of them produce high level hardware.....others, not so much.

Something else to consider -- some folks will tell you that Android has umpteen thousand apps available. Many devices that run Android do not allow you to download apps from Google Play which is the app store with tens of thousands of apps. The Kindle tablets, for example, use a forked Android operating system......meaning that the base system is Android, but Amazon modifies it to only allow downloads from their own app store.

It is recommended that if you use an Android device that you download an anti-virus/malware app on it and keep it up-to-date. If you want to see how prevalent Android malware is, do an internet search. Windows users are used to fighting malware, but if you don't want to do that, consider an iPad.

Apple produces a quality hardware product and screens every app that is put into the Apple App Store, thereby ensuring the customer has good experience. Apple's marketing strategy is very different from most companies -- it is not to have the most devices in the world running iOS. You will pay extra for an Apple device -- just like you pay more for a good quality car.

Honored Contributor
Posts: 13,835
Registered: ‎03-10-2010

Re: Getting ready to buy a IPad or a tablet. which brands do you like and which would you prefer?

On 7/31/2014 Cha1k said:
On 7/30/2014 hckynut said:

Android is the most popular operating system by a long measure. If you for some reason prefer the "i guys" plan on spending a lot more and for a fixed amount of memory. Sure they do some things that cannot be done with an Android System, but it is debatable if many things that the Android does are better than the "i things".

I personally research and research before I buy any electronic device. When my wife wanted a tablet I read everything I could comparing the "i things" to an Android System. At that time an "i tablet" cost at least twice as much and also had a "fixed amount of memory". The ones I looked at did not even have a front facing camera.

Android all the way here and until something better comes along I haven't bought into any of the things put out by Apple when it comes to anything but Mac computers.

Cross post from the other thread on this topic:

The reason that Android is the most popular operating system for mobile devices is because it is open source -- so every fly-by-night company can use it to run their inferior products. Some companies that use Android produce quality smart phones and tablets, but many do not. If you have been on the QVC electronics board for the last 3 years or so, you have seen cheap tablets offered that fail to have even the most rudimentary features. They run Android.

So, be very careful using market share to sway your opinion as to whether to buy an Android device. All Android devices are not the same because tons of companies use it to run their devices. Some of them produce high level hardware.....others, not so much.

Something else to consider -- some folks will tell you that Android has umpteen thousand apps available. Many devices that run Android do not allow you to download apps from Google Play which is the app store with tens of thousands of apps. The Kindle tablets, for example, use a forked Android operating system......meaning that the base system is Android, but Amazon modifies it to only allow downloads from their own app store.

It is recommended that if you use an Android device that you download an anti-virus/malware app on it and keep it up-to-date. If you want to see how prevalent Android malware is, do an internet search. Windows users are used to fighting malware, but if you don't want to do that, consider an iPad.

Apple produces a quality hardware product and screens every app that is put into the Apple App Store, thereby ensuring the customer has good experience. Apple's marketing strategy is very different from most companies -- it is not to have the most devices in the world running iOS. You will pay extra for an Apple device -- just like you pay more for a good quality car.

Cha1k

Not sure if you are addressing me since you have quoted me, or the OP with this reply.

I don't consider a company like Samsung to be a "fly by night" company and Android aside, they also are the #1 television manufacturer and have been for I believe the last 7 years.

For me I ain't into mobile devices of any kind and the only reason I researched them was for my wife that has the Tab 2 and the Galaxy SII smart phone. She can do everything she has wanted to do with both her Tab2 and her Galaxy SII and that is good enough for me.

I will stick to my cell phone(which is a smart phone)to take with me when I am mowing or working outside on our acreage and also when I go somewhere, but only for emergencies. My desktop is all I need to fulfill my satisfaction and need when it comes to contacting people and other things that desktop computers are known to be useful.

If someone wants to spend a ton of money to do those things? More power to them. And comparing an electronic device to a "quality car"? Don't know too much about all these mobile devices because they do not interest me that much. I however know a whole lot more about cars and motors from my may years of auto racing and quality is subjective. But I did research for my wife and she is happy so I am happy.

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor
Posts: 20,143
Registered: ‎04-18-2012

Re: Getting ready to buy a IPad or a tablet. which brands do you like and which would you prefer?

On 7/31/2014 Cha1k said:
On 7/30/2014 jaxs mom said:
On 7/30/2014 dooBdoo said:
On 7/30/2014 glb613 said:
On 7/30/2014 ThinkOutsideTheBox said: I agree with what someone said earlier. I can only give you my PERSONAL feelings on this topic and they may be irrelevant for your purposes, but here goes..... I love my iPad. I love the sheer number of apps available, and I love its functionality. But, I am not an Apple fan-girl. I would never buy an Apple desktop, for example, unless I was rich and could have more than one desktop to play with (because I am a gamer, and because I like having an open system to work with and customize, ie: Windows 8.1 or Linux variations). I will say this though...my next tablet may very well be a Surface if the prices come down. Apple makes their tablets obsolete after three years or so, and I cannot afford to keep buying a new piece of hardware just because they lock out any further iOS updates to older units. I have a perfectly good original iPad that I used for all of two years before I could no longer update it. Since it cannot be updated, almost none of my preferred apps can be installed on it now. Expensive paperweight.

There is no reason why you can't still use it with the apps installed.

ITA, glb. I know folks who are still using their original iPads and iPad2s with no problems.

Smile

She's right about the issue with IOS. I have the original iPad I preordered when they first came out in 2010. There a apps I can't use because I'm stuck with IOS 5 since Apple won't allow me to update my IOS. We are now approaching the release of IOS 8 which I won't be able to upgrade to on my iPhone 4. They are much better with OSX when it comes to longevity of allowing updates.

Having said that. I have no desire to leave the world of Apple. I get a headache every time my husband has an issue with his windows computer and makes me help him fix it.

I don't think you'll find a smartphone or tablet that was released in 2010 that will allow an update of the latest operating system --- be it iOS or Android.

Oh I know, but I was addressing the person that seemed to be implying it wasn't a problem.

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Honored Contributor
Posts: 20,143
Registered: ‎04-18-2012

Re: Getting ready to buy a IPad or a tablet. which brands do you like and which would you prefer?

On 7/30/2014 hckynut said:

Android is the most popular operating system by a long measure. If you for some reason prefer the "i guys" plan on spending a lot more and for a fixed amount of memory. Sure they do some things that cannot be done with an Android System, but it is debatable if many things that the Android does are better than the "i things".

I personally research and research before I buy any electronic device. When my wife wanted a tablet I read everything I could comparing the "i things" to an Android System. At that time an "i tablet" cost at least twice as much and also had a "fixed amount of memory". The ones I looked at did not even have a front facing camera.

Android all the way here and until something better comes along I haven't bought into any of the things put out by Apple when it comes to anything but Mac computers.

One of the huge selling points for IOS is that it has mobile apps that sync with OSX. That functionality is really important to me. It lets me keep my data in sync across my desktop and mobile devices. I have mac only apps that do not have android mobile apps.

I also agree with the other poster that open source just ends up with a bunch of junk. Heck the iTunes store has even become unwieldy due to junk ( since I can't use the word I want on these boards apparently) apps from developers that just want to make a buck now that it's popular but at least I don't have to worry them infecting my devices since Apple vetts them first.

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval