Honored Contributor

Re: Getting ready to buy a IPad or a tablet. which brands do you like and which would you prefer?

Any apple product out the is the best in the market, yes it is expensive, but they stand behind their products. We currently have an Apple desktop, two Mac books and two iphone and an Ipad

I would not buy anything different

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Getting ready to buy a IPad or a tablet. which brands do you like and which would you prefer?

I do not own any tablets. But we gave an iPad as a gift to two cousins and my brother purchased two for his children. Everyone LOVES them!! I do, however, own a MacBook Pro with Retina Display and an iPhone. And I have a PC in my office. Without a doubt, imho, Apple makes the best quality, most user friendly products. So if I was in the market for a tablet I would definitely purchase the iPad

Super Contributor

I agree with what someone said earlier. I can only give you my PERSONAL feelings on this topic and they may be irrelevant for your purposes, but here goes..... I love my iPad. I love the sheer number of apps available, and I love its functionality. But, I am not an Apple fan-girl. I would never buy an Apple desktop, for example, unless I was rich and could have more than one desktop to play with (because I am a gamer, and because I like having an open system to work with and customize, ie: Windows 8.1 or Linux variations). I will say this though...my next tablet may very well be a Surface if the prices come down. Apple makes their tablets obsolete after three years or so, and I cannot afford to keep buying a new piece of hardware just because they lock out any further iOS updates to older units. I have a perfectly good original iPad that I used for all of two years before I could no longer update it. Since it cannot be updated, almost none of my preferred apps can be installed on it now. Expensive paperweight.
Honored Contributor

I agree with all the positive comments about Apple and iPads. (I would add that their iOS and apps have better security, and Apple is generally known to provide support longer than you'll find with other brands.) But, of course, so much depends on the person and what they really want the device to do for them.

I wanted to mention:

Apple offers certain discounts to educators, students, etc. and they also offer interest-free payment plans (check Apple.com to find out what's currently available).

And many states have a "tax holiday weekend." Some are coming up this weekend, and many of them include computers. So, if anyone's thinking of an imminent purchase, that might be helpful to defray part of the cost.

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Respected Contributor

On 7/30/2014 ThinkOutsideTheBox said: I agree with what someone said earlier. I can only give you my PERSONAL feelings on this topic and they may be irrelevant for your purposes, but here goes..... I love my iPad. I love the sheer number of apps available, and I love its functionality. But, I am not an Apple fan-girl. I would never buy an Apple desktop, for example, unless I was rich and could have more than one desktop to play with (because I am a gamer, and because I like having an open system to work with and customize, ie: Windows 8.1 or Linux variations). I will say this though...my next tablet may very well be a Surface if the prices come down. Apple makes their tablets obsolete after three years or so, and I cannot afford to keep buying a new piece of hardware just because they lock out any further iOS updates to older units. I have a perfectly good original iPad that I used for all of two years before I could no longer update it. Since it cannot be updated, almost none of my preferred apps can be installed on it now. Expensive paperweight.

There is no reason why you can't still use it with the apps installed.

Honored Contributor

We have two iPad - the original iPad and iPad 2. Love them both.

We did get a Surface 2 last year. I think it's great. We have the magnetic keyboard.

It just depends what you prefer. There are so many options...

Honored Contributor

On 7/30/2014 glb613 said:
On 7/30/2014 ThinkOutsideTheBox said: I agree with what someone said earlier. I can only give you my PERSONAL feelings on this topic and they may be irrelevant for your purposes, but here goes..... I love my iPad. I love the sheer number of apps available, and I love its functionality. But, I am not an Apple fan-girl. I would never buy an Apple desktop, for example, unless I was rich and could have more than one desktop to play with (because I am a gamer, and because I like having an open system to work with and customize, ie: Windows 8.1 or Linux variations). I will say this though...my next tablet may very well be a Surface if the prices come down. Apple makes their tablets obsolete after three years or so, and I cannot afford to keep buying a new piece of hardware just because they lock out any further iOS updates to older units. I have a perfectly good original iPad that I used for all of two years before I could no longer update it. Since it cannot be updated, almost none of my preferred apps can be installed on it now. Expensive paperweight.

ITA, glb. I know folks who are still using their original iPads and iPad2s with no problems.

Smile

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Honored Contributor

On 7/30/2014 dooBdoo said:
On 7/30/2014 glb613 said:

ITA, glb. I know folks who are still using their original iPads and iPad2s with no problems.

Smile

She's right about the issue with IOS. I have the original iPad I preordered when they first came out in 2010. There a apps I can't use because I'm stuck with IOS 5 since Apple won't allow me to update my IOS. We are now approaching the release of IOS 8 which I won't be able to upgrade to on my iPhone 4. They are much better with OSX when it comes to longevity of allowing updates.

Having said that. I have no desire to leave the world of Apple. I get a headache every time my husband has an issue with his windows computer and makes me help him fix it.

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Trusted Contributor

Let me start by saying the only Apple product I own is an iPad 4. I am not an Apple fanatic but I think the iPad is currently the best tablet on the market. When I bought it I also purchased a Samsung Galaxy. There was no contest when it came to accessing WiFi and the speed of Web browsing.

I have always had Android phones and still prefer them. I have always had PC's (not Macs) but not sure if I will buy a Mac next time or go with the Surface2Pro. But I own an older Toshiba (android) tablet, a Nook Color HD tablet and an iPad. Guess which one is most reliable? The iPad. I gave my husband the Toshiba and guess which one he's always "stealing" from me? The iPad.

Just seems like the iPad has the best/fastest Web browsing, rarely crashes compared to the others, etc. But there are some things it can't do, like anything involving Flash Player.

BTW, I have Office 365 which gives me 5 licenses to use on ANY devices. I can load it on the iPad, my PC, my androids, etc. I haven't put it on anything other than my PC yet but it's supposed to work on the others Smiley Wink

KJPA
Highlighted
Respected Contributor

I have an Ipad and LOVE IT! Have had it for 20 months and have not a problem with it. Its wonderful I use it EVERY day!