Respected Contributor

@glb613 wrote:

@Jordan2 wrote:

@deeva wrote:

Can you go to your local library and use their computers to update your Garmin?

I'm not sure. I also have Kindles and lPads but I don't think they'll work either. Smarter people than I must know of some kind of workaround for this.

Public computers have security and they don't allow people to download and install software.  There is no work around.  You need a computer to install the program, update the maps, then connect the GPS to load the new maps onto the device. 

https://www.garmin.com/en-US/maps/updates/?/automotive

Good information, I didn't know that, but it makes sense.

Trusted Contributor

@Jordan2 wrote:

@glb613 wrote:

@Jordan2 wrote:

I have a Garmin GPS and haven't updated my maps in a very long time. Back then I had a computer that used Windows (an old version). I don't have that computer anymore, I have a Samsung Chomebook Pro. It seems you either have to have Windows or Mac to update your maps. Does this mean I'm out of luck?

I have a Garmin and the only way to update the maps is to download the program on your computer, run the update map functioin, connect your device to your computer and update.  Do you have friends or family with a computer? 

@glb613  thanks for the advice. Unfortunately I don't have anyone I can ask to use their computer. I wonder why Garmin isn't compatible with Chromebook? I am not happy with my Chromebook, I wouldn't buy another one.

Hi @Jordan2 ,

Unfortunately, these are some of the things that you find out, after you have a Chromebook--what you aren't able to do with one.

They're great for many things, but in some instances their operating systems aren't compatible with the software that's available on other websites.

That's what happens. 

In this case, you can't update your Garmin maps on your Chromebook.

We actually decided to give it a try ourselves with our older Garmin, and it didn't work. 

QVC Customer Care

Help me to Update Garmin GPS to get latest Maps or routes