Trusted Contributor

Free Avast vs. Free AVG.....or something else?

I finally bought a new computer!  Yay!  Now I need to decide on antivirus software, and for now I would like to try something free.  I have done a lot of research, and honestly, I'm just more confused, as I am not super computer savvy.

I have considered Avast, as it is the highest rated on downloads dot com, but the reviews all talk about very annoying pop ups.  I've also considered AVG, but I've read some nightmare reviews there, too.

I realize there is a price to pay for FREE antivirus, and I'm willing to accept that.  I just don't know which one to pick.  Any thoughts?  Thanks!

Honored Contributor

Re: Free Avast vs. Free AVG.....or something else?

I've heard that Microsoft Security Essentials is good.

Esteemed Contributor

Either one of these programs is very good. I use some free software, but do not download from  CNet.  I go to the company site. When you download a program make sure you are not getting any extra software.

I like CCleaner, and Malwarebytes. Malwarebytes can be used as a trial or as a free program. The paid one is real time. 

Esteemed Contributor

I have Norton security suite on all my computers. Good Techs and excellent CS.

Honored Contributor

@Sue98

Is your new computer a Windows system?

The only program I trust is Norton Antivirus by Symantec. We purchase the one with the most security.

Symantec was the system used district-wide (very large district) -- there have never been any problems for us on our systems. 1 purchase is good for up to 4 computers.

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Valued Contributor

After Norton did not block my last virus, my computer tech installed the free versio of Avast and I have had no issues since.  He told me that is all he puts on his parents' computers and told me not to upgrade to the paid version.  Micro essentials is what I have on my desktop computer and I have not had any issues with this virus protection, as well.  I will never get Norton again.  Their tech help IMO was of no help when my virus was taking over my laptop.

Trusted Contributor

i was in the same boat.. i downloaded AVG on my tablet.. i asked a comp. tech if i need an anti virus for a tablet, he said definetely.. so far no problems, i didnt wanna pay almost 80.00 for norton again.. after the 1st yr it went up in price...  i checked the reviews on amazon, its always good to read reviews from others

Honored Contributor

I would not recommend Norton - been there, done that.  I now use McAfee, can get it on sale - single device - for about $15 per year.  But I think the free AV software is about as good.  At times I've had to use McAfee tech support and they're great - can take remote control of my computer and fix whatever ails it while I watch.  I'm not sure freeware offers such service.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Nuttmeg wrote:

Either one of these programs is very good. I use some free software, but do not download from  CNet.  I go to the company site. When you download a program make sure you are not getting any extra software.

I like CCleaner, and Malwarebytes. Malwarebytes can be used as a trial or as a free program. The paid one is real time. 

I second this. I've used both Avast & AVG; currently use AVG along with CC and Malwarebytes. All free, all excellent.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

ValuSkr wrote:

I've heard that Microsoft Security Essentials is good.

Although the OP didn't give any clues, I'll go ahead and assume it's a PC with Windows10.

That being the case, you can't use MSE anymore (only on older operating systems).

Also, if it is a new PC with Win10, it comes with its own anti-virus program and that works perfectly fine.   You cannot have two anti-virus programs running.   That will cause BIG problems.   Just try the one that comes with the OS and I think you'll find that it works well.