Valued Contributor

Hi @hckynut . I ran your questions by DH tonight and he said being able to DVR is part of the Hulu Live package - it's stored in the cloud. (We don't need a DVR or TIVO/we don't need cables for DVR'ing). When I'm on Hulu Live and I pick a channel to watch I just select "watch" but, another option I can select is "record". We get 50 hours of DVR with Hulu Live but we could get 200 hours if we wanted to pay an extra $10 - $15/month. We've never been ones to DVR so for us 50 hours is plenty.

DH said there is an optical audio output on our ROKU, but, DH hasn't tried using it. We would like better sound for our living room tv but DH's audio system is broken and he said he's  too cheap right now to fix it or buy something new because we have to get our last child through college, LOL. So, for right now, we're just using the TV speakers. It sounds like you have amazing sound quality!

Sorry I couldn't be of more help in answering your second paragraph questions.

Esteemed Contributor

@cimeranrose You maybe able to find an inexpensive soundbar to enhance the sound quality of your TV.

Respected Contributor

@Kachina624 

Can you get local PBS with your Mohu antenna.   We have Hulu+live TV and that is the only channel we don't get that we miss.   Otherwise, we love Hulu.  

Respected Contributor

@DJs mom 

We stream.  We channel surf.  We DVR.  We save a lot of money every month.

Honored Contributor

@Bridgegal wrote:

@Kachina624 

Can you get local PBS with your Mohu antenna.   We have Hulu+live TV and that is the only channel we don't get that we miss.   Otherwise, we love Hulu.  

@Bridgegal.  Yes, I get KNME plus a PBS station for kids and one with Indian programming.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

@Bridgegal wrote:

@DJs mom 

We stream.  We channel surf.  We DVR.  We save a lot of money every month.

@Bridgegal I'm glad it is working for you. As I said my cable bill is high but with the way I view tv I don't think streaming is an option for me.

Respected Contributor

@DJs mom 

You could try it free for a month and see.   You don't have to cancel your cable to try a streaming service out.   Just a thought.

Respected Contributor

@Kachina624 

Thanks, I'll look into that.

Respected Contributor

@Bridgegal I should try that. Thank you!

Valued Contributor

Re: Finally cut the cord

[ Edited ]

@hckynut wrote:

@cimeranrose 

You DVR, what do you use as a recorder?  I am assuming you have purchased your own DVR or Tivo. If so, describe exactly what types of cables you use to connect Outputs to Inputs to Outputs. From Hulu to recorder to TV. Interested in exactly the way you did this.

Also wondering if you were able to direct the optical audio output to say a sound bar or Surround sound receiver. Or are use using composite/component or coax to route the digital and/or analog sound? 

I'm a video/audio purist that prefers strictly at least 5 channel audio. I have 2 receivers that produce discrete as opposed to synthesized mono broadcasts, 7 channels and up to 9 speakers with 2 subs for the real low decibel ranges.

Thanks for your info,

hckynut(john)

hckynut

I just cut the cord last month.  Most of the streaming services (I use Hulu Live) have cloud based  DVR's so no hardware is involved.  I also have an indoor antenna attached to a Fire Recast DVR to record OTA shows.  It talks WIFI to the two Fire Sticks I have so I can watch OTA from each TV.   The antenna connects to the Recast with a coaxial cable.  The recast has 4 tuners so you can record/watch multiple shows at the same time.  Hope that helps.