Honored Contributor

I thought I would post this in case it helps someone not be without TV for several days.

We have DirecTV. We have the main box and two of the mini boxes. The other day when I was watching TV, all of a sudden I got the Connecting..... loop, and then “No HDMI Connection Detected” thing. We tried everything multiple times. Nada. We then had multiple power outages two days later.

Just for the heck of it, I tried again. I had connection to the satellite, but neither remote, the DirecTV or the Samsung, would do anything except turn the TV on or off and change the volume; it wouldn’t do anything else.

So, the DirecTV service guy just left. According to him, the last several over-the-air updates UNPAIRED the remotes, mostly on the mini boxes, from the box.  He said we were lucky it was only one TV of three in our house, that lots of people had all the sets in the house do it. Ugh!

So, here’s the fix:

- Press Mute and Select at the same time

- Light on remote will blink x 2

- Put in 9-6-1

- Hit Channel Up^^ button

- Hit Enter

- Point the remote at the box and it will re-connect

It might save you from a service call and/or being without TV for several days.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Highlighted
Respected Contributor

Re: FYI - DirecTV Update Issues

I had the same issue last year. I went to You tube and watched a video showing how to solve this problem.

Honored Contributor

@deeva wrote:

I had the same issue last year. I went to You tube and watched a video showing how to solve this problem.

I googled the messages I was getting, but since I didn’t know exactly what the problem was, I couldn’t google specifics. I think it was an update just gone wrong, which I hadn’t suspected; I thought the box had gone bad. Now that I know what happened, I could probably find the answer online too. The tech said there were multiple issues unrelated to updates in our area as well lately.

Honored Contributor

I have the mini boxes and for the past couple of weeks I have had unusually long response times when I go to use the remote to change channels. Thought it was maybe weak batteries inside the remote control unit but I put new batteries in it and nothing changed. Sometimes when I go to view the program guide, the screen freezes. I don't know what is going on.Woman Frustrated

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

I have the mini boxes and for the past couple of weeks I have had unusually long response times when I go to use the remote to change channels. Thought it was maybe weak batteries inside the remote control unit but I put new batteries in it and nothing changed. Sometimes when I go to view the program guide, the screen freezes. I don't know what is going on.Woman Frustrated

I mentioned to the tech that sometimes when I press the remote, instead of going up one channel it will “go crazy” and zip through 15-20 channels before I can get it to stop. I occasionally have longer than normal response times too. He discovered that my cable coming in from outside had become squished, and replaced it - also with a new connector. I’ll be interested to see if that helps.

It’s a known issue with our local techs that the last few updates have caused issues, mostly with the mini boxes. It must be driving the techs crazy having to run all over doing extra calls. And since it’s been more than one update, you’d think they could learn from that and get it together. Sheesh.  I had an update early last week while I was watching and I thought it had gone fine. Not sure if what happened was because of that update or if there was another one on Saturday that went kablooey.

Honored Contributor

@Moonchilde,

How do you know when the updates are happening? 

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

@Moonchilde,

How do you know when the updates are happening? 

@SilleeMee I think they try to do most of them in the wee hours so it’s mostly out of sight and already done when you turn on the TV the next day.

I was watching TV during the afternoon maybe 2-3 pm when a message came up on the screen about the update. I think, (don’t remember positively) it gave me a choice of “now” or later and I was curious so I said “now” and it did its thing. Took maybe 5-7 minutes, and then the picture came back and all seemed to be well. My problem started several days after that and it had been working same-old in between. We’ve had several power outages, but they all happened days after the issues, so I don’t think the power outages had anything to do with it.

Valued Contributor

i had same issue last year

Esteemed Contributor

@Moonchilde wrote:

I thought I would post this in case it helps someone not be without TV for several days.

We have DirecTV. We have the main box and two of the mini boxes. The other day when I was watching TV, all of a sudden I got the Connecting..... loop, and then “No HDMI Connection Detected” thing. We tried everything multiple times. Nada. We then had multiple power outages two days later.

Just for the heck of it, I tried again. I had connection to the satellite, but neither remote, the DirecTV or the Samsung, would do anything except turn the TV on or off and change the volume; it wouldn’t do anything else.

So, the DirecTV service guy just left. According to him, the last several over-the-air updates UNPAIRED the remotes, mostly on the mini boxes, from the box.  He said we were lucky it was only one TV of three in our house, that lots of people had all the sets in the house do it. Ugh!

So, here’s the fix:

- Put in 9-6-1

- Hit Enter

I had this same problem two or thee nights ago. I went into my bedroom to turn on the TV and came back to the living room to tidy up some things. I walk back and my TV in the bedroom was in this connecting loop. It kept flickering and it had the Direct TV/AT &T logo on the screen and it kept saying connecting. I was confused because I had not turned off my TV in the living room yet and it was fine. Long story short I called Tech Support and they had me refresh it from my home which did not work. Then they refreshed it from wherever the technical call center was and it shut everything down and then booted back up and all was fine. 

Secondary problem that I have had which I thought was the batteries as well was what @SilleeMee mentioned. I push the guide button or enter in a station number onmy bedroom TV, and sometimes it responds other times it does not. I will call Direct TV again in the morning, for this particular program.

Honored Contributor

@icezeus wrote:

@Moonchilde wrote:

So, here’s the fix:

- Put in 9-6-1

- Hit Enter

I had this same problem two or thee nights ago. I went into my bedroom to turn on the TV and came back to the living room to tidy up some things. I walk back and my TV in the bedroom was in this connecting loop. It kept flickering and it had the Direct TV/AT &T logo on the screen and it kept saying connecting. I was confused because I had not turned off my TV in the living room yet and it was fine. Long story short I called Tech Support and they had me refresh it from my home which did not work. Then they refreshed it from wherever the technical call center was and it shut everything down and then booted back up and all was fine. 

Secondary problem that I have had which I thought was the batteries as well was what @SilleeMee mentioned. I push the guide button or enter in a station number onmy bedroom TV, and sometimes it responds other times it does not. I will call Direct TV again in the morning, for this particular program.

We had reset it multiple times, pulled the plug multiple times, and nada. Actually, once it got itself out of the Connecting “loop”, it pretty much straightened itself out, except that then the remote wouldn’t control anything. After all this happened, we lost our power several times. I think we actually got the connection back because of that for some strange reason. I know that sounds weird.

According to the tech, their last few updates have had “issues” for people. I’m like...well, stop it then.  They should do all their updating between 2-4 am so it’s all done when no one has to deal with accidentally having the TV on when it updates. I think watching TV when it starts is apparently a complication.