Valued Contributor

Extended Electronics Warranties - Do You Get Them?

I broke down and got the Amazon Echo today, but I was wondering if I should buy the 3 year extended warranty they have. Normally I don't because I take good care of my stuff and they last me (I still have my first generation Kindle!) for years. However, a 3 month old Vizio sound bar has been giving me headaches from day one, so I'm leery of getting another lemon. 

Do you guys automatically get the extended warranty, or do you just skip it? Thanks. 

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Extended Electronics Warranties - Do You Get Them?

Skip it.
Always.
Honored Contributor

Skip.

Honored Contributor

Never got one, never needed one.  It's not like an Echo has moving parts to break. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@grammarqueen

The only extended warranties I have ever bought were on my brand new cars. This was back when they had only a 1 or 2 year warranty. Why did I buy them?

Because I bought new cars every year or every other year for many years. These were immaculate cars in looks and maintained more than most others, and I did the much maintenance myself. 

I always sold these cars myself, not trade-in on my new cars, which I ordered from the factory. Many people I knew were usually waiting to see if this was my new car year, and I never had a problem selling my cars. I sold them at a fair price for cars in excellent condition, that and having a year or more warranty, transferable to a new owner, also helped selling the cars.

That was the only reason I bought an extended warranty. Now I have probably owned more electronic equipment in my lifetime than any 10-20 people put together. Technology(electronics) was a passion of mine since the early 1950's. If it was "the latest" and I liked the technology, I bought it.

Just in the last 18 months, due to our basement sewage flooding, I lost close to $50,000 in just electronic equipment. Not a single "extended warranty" on any of them. They only electronics that were usually problematical were: Cassette tape players, and any device that played any kind of tape, including the VCR.

Those had lots of moving parts and for me, it was cheaper and better to replace, than try to repair. Same now, if a device has internal moving parts(electronic/computerized or mechanical) they are more likely to have issues.

To me, extended warranties are money wasted, as many are built as "throw away items". That is my life in regards to all of my many new items.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Respected Contributor

Apple Care with our iMac, iPad and iPhone.  Even if we don't use it, it gives us a measure of security.

Respected Contributor

@grammarqueen wrote:

I broke down and got the Amazon Echo today, but I was wondering if I should buy the 3 year extended warranty they have. Normally I don't because I take good care of my stuff and they last me (I still have my first generation Kindle!) for years. However, a 3 month old Vizio sound bar has been giving me headaches from day one, so I'm leery of getting another lemon. 

Do you guys automatically get the extended warranty, or do you just skip it? Thanks. 

No. IMHO, it's a waste of money. 

Esteemed Contributor

@grammarqueen, that's how they make their money.  I skip.

Honored Contributor

As a rule you don't need them. I got an Echo the first year they were out and it's given me no trouble whatsoever. It's been knocked to the ground multiple times by a cat who thinks it's perfect for rubbing her head on and it's survived every fall. 

By the way, I wouldn't be shocked to see a new Echo emerge in the near future. The recent sale on them here is often part of how Amazon starts to unload existing stock of a product before its replacement comes out. If the old Echo goes "out of stock" at Amazon anytime soon, it'll be an even clearer sign that a replacement is on the way.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Respected Contributor

Some things we do, some things we don't. Depends. On kid's electronics we always did and it usually paid off. 

( \_/ )
(='x'=)
( " )_( " )