Respected Contributor

Re: Everything suddenly got Huge on my computer, need help

@BalletBabe wrote:

@gardenman wrote:

@kcladyz wrote:

right click the desktop then display settings. You may have to adjust resolution. 

Sad to say it's not that easy this time around. The Thanksgiving update for Windows 10 killed the video drivers for the ATI 3000 and 4000 series video cards. Microsoft then replaced the drivers with new ones that changed the resolution settings and wouldn't let you change back to your old settings. Fortunately, Windows computers keep the old drivers laying around, so you can just reload the older drivers and you're back in business. It's a pretty easy fix once you know how to do it.

Did you try holding down the alt key and at the same time hitting the minus sign beside the O.   Minus shrinks it and the key beside it will make it bigger with the plus and the = sign.   I am getting so sick of microsoft.  I am ready for apple.  

Yes, tried that. I tried everything and the only thing that worked is what gardenman suggested which worked great till that huge download (update) went through and put it all back again. I am now thinking of doing what gardenman suggested again and see if it works again without doing anything wrong to anything else since it worked great the first time.

Honored Contributor

@BalletBabe wrote:

@gardenman wrote:

@kcladyz wrote:

right click the desktop then display settings. You may have to adjust resolution. 

Sad to say it's not that easy this time around. The Thanksgiving update for Windows 10 killed the video drivers for the ATI 3000 and 4000 series video cards. Microsoft then replaced the drivers with new ones that changed the resolution settings and wouldn't let you change back to your old settings. Fortunately, Windows computers keep the old drivers laying around, so you can just reload the older drivers and you're back in business. It's a pretty easy fix once you know how to do it.

Did you try holding down the alt key and at the same time hitting the minus sign beside the O.   Minus shrinks it and the key beside it will make it bigger with the plus and the = sign.   I am getting so sick of microsoft.  I am ready for apple.  

The problem is that after the last update the computer no longer has the proper settings available. Microsoft's new driver isn't compatible with our older (3000 and 4000 series) ATI video cards. They just automatically plug in their new driver with the update and everyone's screen resoution changes to what the new driver allows which isn't what we had our computers set for.

Sad to say there is no easier, better fix that I'm aware of. It's a pretty widespread problem however and Microsoft should eventually get around to fixing it on their own. 

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Respected Contributor

If anyone hears of a fix please post it. Smiley Happy  we have had the same problem and hate it.

Super Contributor

I'm having the same problem and nothing works, even after working several hours with the IT guy at my company. Finally I rolled back the whole mess to the previous version of Windows from 1709 to 1703. Now my screen is normal and I can work again. I probably lost a lot of business while this was going on...

Windows tried to update again this AM. It doesn't like that I found a way to roll back the current nonsense, but I was able to put off the update until next Thursday. I will just continue this way until Microsoft either finds a fix or until I can afford a new computer - sigh...

Honored Contributor

here is Microsoft's current solution. I don't know if this works or not as my computer is still fine with my earlier fix.

We are aware of a problem that resulted in an incorrect driver update for some AMD Radeon HD 2000, 3000, and 4000 series adapters. The driver update has been corrected. If you were impacted by the incorrect driver, follow these steps for all versions of Windows 10 to delete the 22.19.128.0 driver from the system and recover the recommended driver version (8.970.100.9001):

1. Start Device Manager. To do this, press and hold (or right-click) the Start Menu icon, and then select Device Manager.
  2. Expand Display adapters, and right-click the adapter that has the problem driver installed, and then select Properties.
  3. Select the Driver tab and verify driver version is 22.19.128.0.
  4. Select Uninstall Device.
  5. Check the box that says, "Delete the driver software for this device.” This step is important and will prevent the problematic driver from reinstalling in the future.
  6. The system may require a reboot at this point. Reboot if needed, then reopen Device Manager.
  7. Select any device, then click Action -> Scan for hardware changes.
  8. If the recommended driver (8.970.100.9001) is re-installed and this resolves your graphics problems, you can stop here. (Repeat steps 1-3 to verify that the correct driver version is installed). Otherwise follow the next step to check for the driver using Windows Update.
  9. Go to Start -> Settings -> Update & security, then Check for updates and install any available updates.
Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!