Contributor

E234064 HP 14" Stream Laptop Intel 4GB RAM 64GB eMMC with Microsoft 365

OK you Computer Mavens!  Hope you can help me out.

I'm looking at the above Laptop.  The vendor always stresses the positives but never talks much, if at all, about the negatives.

I have a desktop computer but would like a laptop.  I would use it to search the web, use WORD, send and retrieve e-mails and watch videos on YouTube.  I would not use it to store pictures or home videos.  

So, what do you think of this laptop?  Is 4GB RAM enough for a person who doesn't store videos or pics (or is that what you need GBs for).  And what is eMMC?  

Also, somewhere I read that you can purchase WORD on the internet instead of buying Microsoft 365.  How do you do that?  I only use WORD, not Power Point, etc.

Any thoughts you have will be most appreciated.  As you can see my computer knowledge is VERY LIMITED!  Bear with me please.  I'm 79 y/o.

Respected Contributor

Re: E234064 HP 14" Stream Laptop Intel 4GB RAM 64GB eMMC with Microsoft 365

The only salesman who'd talk about negatives of a product was Arthur Godfrey.  And he "sold" more sponsor products than anyone in the history of TV.

Honored Contributor

The Stream laptops are designed to compete with Chromebooks. They function in much the same way. You can only run apps/programs you buy through the Windows store because it runs Windows 10 S which is a streamlined version of Windows 10. For $50 you can upgrade to the full version of Windows 10, but the 4 Gbs of RAM becomes an issue then as does the slower processor.

The eMMC is an embedded multimedia card. It's a cheaper, less efficient version of an SSD. Think of it as an SD card that's built into the computer.

For your needs, it would be fine. As would a Chromebook, tablet, or more fully featured laptop. Your stated needs are pretty minimal so any of those devices would do the job for you.

As to Word, you get a year of it free with this laptop then can either buy it through the Microsoft app store or use the free online version. 

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@April

You need a laptop to run Word. The software needs RAM,  and a good processor to handle your files.

QVC does have a laptop with the specs for the job E 302735. It  has a problem, price.

You should be able to find an Envy or Pavillion at HP or Best Buy for a lower price. 

Computer makers will use an older processor to keep costs down. This 8th generation Intel is an excellent example. This Intel i5-8900 will handle Word and YouTube without a problem. 

They will pair this processor with a solid state drive or SSD. I would buy a  SSD of 256 GB or higher.

The last thing I want to mention is Bluetooth 5.0 and the wireless AC card.  These two items come as a package. 

A Bluetooth 5.0 card is usually paired with a better quality wireless card. 

I found an HP Envy x360 15Z on the company site. LOL, it can be configured with the items from the QVC computer and it includes Bluetooth 5.0.

You can buy Office 365 at a discount for a year. 

Esteemed Contributor

@April  I had a Stream quite a few years ago and used it until it died.  I loved it and plan on getting this one.  When I took it to my local repair shop, even the owner thought it was a good little computer.  What I really like about it is that I used it for travel and it was the perfect size.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Contributor

Thanks to all of you for your replies.  I think I'll give this Laptop a go.  I wish the 90-day return was still on but ....   Thanks again.  I really appreciate your thoughts and input.  God bless.  

Esteemed Contributor

@April

You may want to consider buying an Apple ipad 10.2  128 GB tablet. Amazon is an authorized retailer for a Apple.

An iPad is a quality product for the price you . 

If you don't like it,you can return it to Amazon.