Reply
Valued Contributor
Posts: 502
Registered: ‎06-19-2010

Re: Don’t think the problem is coming from you when WiFi or internet is down

I'm not following, no fiber in your neighborhood yet?  In that case you're not going to get U-verse to replace DSL because U-verse is fiber, either all the way to the home, or fiber to a nearby node, and copper wire from the node.  Fiber all the way is superior.

Honored Contributor
Posts: 8,461
Registered: ‎05-23-2010

Re: Don’t think the problem is coming from you when WiFi or internet is down


@DearPrudence wrote:

I'm not following, no fiber in your neighborhood yet?  In that case you're not going to get U-verse to replace DSL because U-verse is fiber, either all the way to the home, or fiber to a nearby node, and copper wire from the node.  Fiber all the way is superior.


AT&T has Uverse here in my area but they also have a new service called Fiber.  This service is not available in my area. I thought the same thing as you do DearPrudence, but when I checked on AT&T’s website that is what it says. I don’t know how Uverse is differentiated from Fiber because the website doesn’t say so. My area definitely has Uverse. I’ve spoken to multiple representatives about this  and checked online many times. 

Esteemed Contributor
Posts: 5,188
Registered: ‎03-09-2010

Re: Don’t think the problem is coming from you when WiFi or internet is down

[ Edited ]

@Mindy D

I have had Comcast/Xfinity service for 26 years in my current home. I have had internet service since 2000.

I have an internet speed of 250 Mbps. 

I may have a internet outage for maybe a day or two once a year. I never lose my TV service. 

Since you already pay for service. You may want to see how well it runs in your area. 

 I would recommend posting on Dslreports.com in the Comcast forum. I would ask about the best internet speed for the size of your home. and  how many devices will this speed support. 

I do not install new hardware. I call and have a truck roll. 

 

Esteemed Contributor
Posts: 5,188
Registered: ‎03-09-2010

Re: Don’t think the problem is coming from you when WiFi or internet is down

[ Edited ]

@Mindy D

I live in an urban area,hurricane Sandy did a great deal of damage to all the underground cable lines. Comcast upgraded the system to part fiber. This is another question you may want to ask the boys on the board. How well does Comcast service work in your area? 

Honored Contributor
Posts: 10,724
Registered: ‎03-12-2010

Re: Don’t think the problem is coming from you when WiFi or internet is down

I have a feeling you're not on the West Coast, @Mindy D  but just in case you are, look into the provider Wave Broadband.  I find their customer service to be excellent.  They provide phone, internet, and tv.

Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Honored Contributor
Posts: 8,461
Registered: ‎05-23-2010

Re: Don’t think the problem is coming from you when WiFi or internet is down


@Nuttmeg wrote:

@Mindy D

I live in an urban area,hurricane Sandy did a great deal of damage to all the underground cable lines. Comcast upgraded the system to part fiber. This is another question you may want to ask the boys on the board. How well does Comcast service work in your area? 


I’ve been speaking to users here. They hate it. Not a single thumbs up. 

Esteemed Contributor
Posts: 5,188
Registered: ‎03-09-2010

Re: Don’t think the problem is coming from you when WiFi or internet is down

[ Edited ]

@Mindy D wrote:

@Nuttmeg wrote:

@Mindy D

I live in an urban area,hurricane Sandy did a great deal of damage to all the underground cable lines. Comcast upgraded the system to part fiber. This is another question you may want to ask the boys on the board. How well does Comcast service work in your area? 


I’ve been speaking to users here. They hate it. Not a single thumbs up. 


You can look for something that works better.