Honored Contributor

Don't really think this is technology, but don't know where to post it, so--- Pay Pal

I am wondering about Pay Pal.  Is it good to have?  Safer than using just regular credit cards on line?  I don't know one thing about it.  DH says he keeps hearing that you should use it, but he doesn't really know anything about it either.  If anybody could respond and tell me if it's safe and if it really is better to use it.  And also, tell me a little about it, I would appreciate it!  Thanks so much!  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Don't really think this is technology, but don't know where to post it, so--- Pay Pal

Just for me, I would not go near it.  Just another place to get compromised.  I do keep one credit card just for places like gas.

Honored Contributor

Re: Don't really think this is technology, but don't know where to post it, so--- Pay Pal

@AngelPuppy1   I've used PayPal for many years.  I started using it when I was ordering from Ebay.  Now I use it for many things.  It will take the money from your checking account or a credit card, however you have it set up.

If you have a return, they will credit it to your PayPal account, and PayPal puts it back in your checking account. I've actually never used it for a credit card.  I've never had any problems using it at all.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Trusted Contributor

Not sure this is going to help you or not, but I use both for different reasons and I do NOT have PayPal tied to my bank account.  I am sure it is fine but its my personal preference is all.

I use Paypal for things like Ebay, Etsy or other people purchasing things.  For everything else I use my charge card and just pay it off every month.  I don't accrue interest charges unless it is a majorly bit purchase and I have too.

Honored Contributor

you don't need one, 

there is no reason to get one 

if you have a credit card continue to use that with all the protections it affords you 

Honored Contributor

I also started using PayPal for Ebay purchases, but to my dismay, they were hacked twice and I had to deal with fraudulent charges.

I still have it, but haven't used it in years because of that.

It would be fine with me if they cancelled it for me not using it.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Respected Contributor

I do use Paypal for a lot of online purchases. I think of it as a layer of protection between me & the internet.

Paypal has my credit card #, but then I don't have to give it out to all of the other places I may buy things.

I used to have an etsy shop & I used it for a huge blog sale I had years, ago.

I've never had a problem with it.

I also use paypal shipping to print out postage at home & ship things.

Trusted Contributor

@AngelPuppy1  Yes, it is great to use! I do most of my shopping online, and use one credit card just for my PayPal account. IF it should be compromised, I still have my other credit cards to use.

PayPal is great in that you do not have to give out your CC information to any online stores - just click on "pay with PayPal" and it's all done. Even QVC accepts PayPal. Now days, most online retailers utilize this payment option.

F/N/A luvstogarden
Honored Contributor

@AngelPuppy1  If you use paypal to pay for something you can get refunded return shipping from paypal.  Sounds like a great thi g for those who return so much here,

Respected Contributor

I had security problems with Paypal years ago, so I no longer use them. 

I typically use only one credit card for online purchases.

This helps to minimize my exposure to fraud.