Honored Contributor

Re: Does anyone not like their Kindle Paperwhite? Do you wish it had page turn buttons?

My Kindle sits in a drawer, now never used. I didn't buy it, it was given to me as a gift. With very few exceptions, I did not get out of reading what I get out of reading an actual book. And magazines and periodicals, no comparison to holding a real one in your hands. Mine also came without a lighted screen, so I couldn't read at night without my lamp turned on. I really don't like any of the handheld readers, even the ones that allow access to the Internet. I don't like touch screens either. I am a computer person, have been since the early eighties . . . there is so much more one can do with an actual computer. So I guess one could say technology has outrun me. I never felt that way when computers came out, even though I had used typewriters for years.

And the prices for these gadgets? Forget it.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Honored Contributor

Re: Does anyone not like their Kindle Paperwhite? Do you wish it had page turn buttons?

I just tap the page to turn to the next page. I can't imagine why anyone would need/want buttons instead?

Honored Contributor

On 5/23/2014 willdob3 said:

I just tap the page to turn to the next page. I can't imagine why anyone would need/want buttons instead?

Because for many users, me included, the results of the tapping are hit or miss, with the page not always turning. And stopping my reading long enough to tap takes me out of reading in a more disruptive and annoying way that having my hand on a physical button does. I have the PW1 (no need to buy 2) and strongly dislike swiping or tapping. Enough people, number-wise, have complained about not having page turn buttons that I wouldn't be surprised if Amazon added the option back in version 3 to come. No touch on any device or tablet is foolproof in the way that a button is. I prefer foolproof to "most of the time if you're careful."
Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Respected Contributor

Same is true when reading on a iPad. How can you mess that up?

Respected Contributor

I wish they would come out with a keyboard kindle paperwhite. I like the paperwhite but when I touch a lot of times I get the wrong results. I like the paperwhite but I can't say I love it like the keyboard kindle I broke.

Honored Contributor

On 5/23/2014 moonchilde said:

Because for many users, me included, the results of the tapping are hit or miss, with the page not always turning. And stopping my reading long enough to tap takes me out of reading in a more disruptive and annoying way that having my hand on a physical button does. I have the PW1 (no need to buy 2) and strongly dislike swiping or tapping. Enough people, number-wise, have complained about not having page turn buttons that I wouldn't be surprised if Amazon added the option back in version 3 to come. No touch on any device or tablet is foolproof in the way that a button is. I prefer foolproof to "most of the time if you're careful."

I have the paperwhite 2 (the newest one) and the screen is much brighter and clearer than my old one. That was enough reason for me to upgrade. I traded my old one in for a rebate too.

I have both the button and the touch. The touch on the paperwhite works great. After a very short time of reading, I have not thought about it since. I can simply tap lightly and the page turns and unlike buttons, my hands don't have to stay on a specific spot--the area to tap is large and easy to reach. I simply have NO problems or issues with the buttons OR the tap on the paperwhite. To me it is simply a non issue--although I prefer the tap method.

Super Contributor

I had the keyboard Kindle and it eventually quit working. I now have the Paperwhite, and it is no problem tapping to go to next page, however I am very disappointed in the battery. The charging every 8 weeks is if you read 1/2 hr. a day. The battery only lasts 10 or 11 hrs. without recharging. I called Customer service and it is what it is. The only recourse they gave was to return it for credit.

Honored Contributor

On 5/23/2014 10grands said:

I had the keyboard Kindle and it eventually quit working. I now have the Paperwhite, and it is no problem tapping to go to next page, however I am very disappointed in the battery. The charging every 8 weeks is if you read 1/2 hr. a day. The battery only lasts 10 or 11 hrs. without recharging. I called Customer service and it is what it is. The only recourse they gave was to return it for credit.

Edit: Just checked my paperwhite. I finished reading a book Monday, a couple of hours, and just looked at mine again and it has a battery that isn't even quite one fourth down. That was days ago. So, are you talking about reading time? My paperwhite holds the battery charge well if I'm not reading every day. It doesn't run down quickly except after hours and hours of reading.

Honored Contributor

I had the Kindle Keyboard and moved on to the Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen) and I love it.

Sometimes I miss the page turn buttons because I move forward or backward by mistake, but that's easy enough to correct, especially if I'm sitting up while reading it. (Lying on my side it's easier to turn by accident.) I don't mind it not having the page turn buttons because it has so many other tools I love.

I love that I can organize by books now. I have book Collections for finished books, books to read, samples, and by book category. I'm also loving the X-Ray feature. I'm reading a book now where a character at one point says he's never met one of the other characters before. I was SURE he had, but couldn't remember where. It was easy to use the X-Ray feature to find his first appearance re-read the page to learn that he had met the other character before and was lying about it. It's also useful when you have a multitude of characters to keep track of. Those tools are much more useful to me than a separate page turn button.