Valued Contributor

Re: Does anyone not like their Kindle Paperwhite? Do you wish it had page turn buttons?

On 5/2/2014 KJPA said:

I know you didn't ask about the Nook Simple Touch with Glowlight but I have one and never had any problems with it. I upgraded to the Nook HD and gave my Glowlight to my mom. She loves it too. I've never used a Kindle so I can't speak to the difference but I don't think you can move your books from Nook to Kindle, can you? If not you won't be able to read all the Nook books you bought/downloaded when you use the Kindle.

Feel free to let us know if that's not true but it may be a deciding factor for you.

You can move your nook books to your kindle. There is an Nook app at a website called 1mobile.com - you have to uncheck some settings in the Kindle to let it accept apps from other sources. I did this with my Kindle Fire HD. When you first turn on the Nook app it tells you that it doesn't support books in this format but it will download them and you can read them.

Occasional Contributor

Re: Does anyone not like their Kindle Paperwhite? Do you wish it had page turn buttons?

Last year I purchased a Kindle paperwhite, I was excited about the built-in booklight as I had the least expensive Kindle with manual controls and always loved it. Using a clip-on light worked but was bulky and needed batteries. So, purchased the paperwhite...however I did not care for the "swiping" of the screen to turn pages. I really missed my buttons. Seemed I was always swiping accidentally and then had to go back and find the page I was on. Loved the built-in booklight though. Gave it a week's try but decided I liked my original Kindle better so returned the paperwhite. What I want is my manual controls with a built-in booklight - do those exist?? I still love my kindle.....Smiley Happy
Trusted Contributor

On 5/11/2014 CindyinNC said:
On 5/2/2014 KJPA said:

I know you didn't ask about the Nook Simple Touch with Glowlight but I have one and never had any problems with it. I upgraded to the Nook HD and gave my Glowlight to my mom. She loves it too. I've never used a Kindle so I can't speak to the difference but I don't think you can move your books from Nook to Kindle, can you? If not you won't be able to read all the Nook books you bought/downloaded when you use the Kindle.

Feel free to let us know if that's not true but it may be a deciding factor for you.

You can move your nook books to your kindle. There is an Nook app at a website called 1mobile.com - you have to uncheck some settings in the Kindle to let it accept apps from other sources. I did this with my Kindle Fire HD. When you first turn on the Nook app it tells you that it doesn't support books in this format but it will download them and you can read them.

AWESOME! Thanks!
KJPA
Esteemed Contributor

No, not at all. I got used to just swiping the screen and never missed the buttons.

The newest version of the Paperwhite is amazing.

Fortēs fortūna adjuvat
Respected Contributor

Rumors are a new paperwhite (with buttons to turn pages and a few other tweaks) is coming.I keep checking.I would rush to buy it!

Trusted Contributor

On 5/11/2014 birkin baby said:

Rumors are a new paperwhite (with buttons to turn pages and a few other tweaks) is coming.I keep checking.I would rush to buy it!

Oooh, exciting. I think they usually release the new Kindles in the fall, so we still have a few more months. I was reading on my Nook today and decided I really like page turn buttons. I think it depends how I'm reading. If I'm sitting up like a normal person I swipe, but if I'm laying in bed on my side I like the page turn buttons on either side of my Nook.

*QVC Community member since 10/24/2006*
Honored Contributor

I got my for ereader - Paperwhite Christmas 2012. I'm used to tapping the screen from the iPod touch. The only time I really swipe the screen is to wake up the Paperwhite. I do a light tap when turning pages.
Respected Contributor

I have a Kindle HDX--I got it as an upgrade to the Paperwhite and I'd never go back. The backlit screen, the hi resolution and the speakers are absolutely great. I even use it as a tablet when I travel, if the hotel has guest wifi. It's incredible.

Respected Contributor

On 5/12/2014 Campion said:

I have a Kindle HDX--I got it as an upgrade to the Paperwhite and I'd never go back. The backlit screen, the hi resolution and the speakers are absolutely great. I even use it as a tablet when I travel, if the hotel has guest wifi. It's incredible.

If you could only have one device and you need to do everything, I agree that the Kindle HDX is best.

However, if you want strictly a reader, the Paperwhite is superior for reading only. The lighting it has is easier on the eyes. It also has a matte screen so that it doesn't glare while in the sun. It is also smaller and lighter weight.

Occasional Contributor

I adore my Paperwhite. It's perfect.