Respected Contributor

Re: Does anyone have Verizon High Speed DSL? Recommend?

@Moonchilde wrote:

@Montana wrote:

I have an old Verizon modem that is going on the blink. I need faster internet speed for the smart tv I plan to buy.

Is the streaming speed adequate on this device?

Streaming speed depends upon the plan you buy/your monthly fee and the actual speeds available to you in your house, i.e. where your house sits geographically. Speed can never be guaranteed because there are so many variables. Generally, the more money you pay be per month, the faster the speeds Verizon will give you. The device itself is capable of handling high speed streaming, but it isn't the device that matters, it's the other things.

Exactly cuz I used to live very rural and paid a fortune for wifi/internet access and it was horrible.  We had to live with dial up for many years longer than other areas with access to cable before we had the ability to join this century!  When I moved a year ago, they were just trying to figure out better options for those living in that area after MUCH complaining by folks bc these days the schools put a lot of stuff online and that county was falling way behind educationally.  The biggest issue we had was the lack of towers in rural areas and until/unless that was addressed, it'll never change.

Honored Contributor

@Financialgrl wrote:

@Moonchilde wrote:

@Montana wrote:

I have an old Verizon modem that is going on the blink. I need faster internet speed for the smart tv I plan to buy.

Streaming speed depends upon the plan you buy/your monthly fee and the actual speeds available to you in your house, i.e. where your house sits geographically. Speed can never be guaranteed because there are so many variables. Generally, the more money you pay be per month, the faster the speeds Verizon will give you. The device itself is capable of handling high speed streaming, but it isn't the device that matters, it's the other things.

Exactly cuz I used to live very rural and paid a fortune for wifi/internet access and it was horrible.  We had to live with dial up for many years longer than other areas with access to cable before we had the ability to join this century!  When I moved a year ago, they were just trying to figure out better options for those living in that area after MUCH complaining by folks bc these days the schools put a lot of stuff online and that county was falling way behind educationally.  The biggest issue we had was the lack of towers in rural areas and until/unless that was addressed, it'll never change.

If you can believe the early hype, the new 5G service that'll start rolling out in 2018 will change life rather dramatically, even in the boondocks. From what I've heard/read, the 5G will rely on modems built right into the fiber optic lines that willl be embedded every 100-500 yards (closer in highly populated areas, farther apart in less populated areas) and no more cellular towers will be needed except for older generation phones.

They're talking about speeds of 25/35 gbps (that's gigabits per second.) Supposedly these fiber optic lines will be connected to a hub and then just rolled out and hung and be functional immediately. They're talking about very low cost fiber optic cables (as low as $0.20 per foot) so the cost of stringing cables to even remote locations isn't all that bad. Comcast, Verizon, Spectrum and others are investing billions in the new 5G tech. It's likely to be a game changer if it lives up to the early expectations. They're expecting it to be fully deployed nationally by 2025.

If it works as expected, it's not unreasonable to assume that it'll be the last generation of wireless. It's hard to imagine anything where you'd need speeds faster than 25-35 gbps. It's expected to make self-driving cars a reality due to the amount of data that can be moved in a blink.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Financialgrl wrote:

@Moonchilde wrote:

@Montana wrote:

@Financialgrl, we are twins in this!

This household (before I lived in it full-time) had dial-up as pretty much its only option, then DSL arrived that was as slow as the dial-up. We now have HughesNet (which stinks) because it's the only solution in our immediate area. ALL of our cell towers are far from here; we live in a "shallow canyon" surrounded by fairly dense forestation and we just don't get signal from anyone. We badly need some cable laid here, from any company, but it's very, very slow in coming because we're not densely populated enough to be "worth it" to any of the providers.

Of all cell phone carriers, Verizon is the ONLY one that gets service at our house, and that service is bad; most people's phones are barely functional here. I have their signal booster and it was a total waste of $$ as it doesn't improve anything.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all