Re: Does anyone have RING, the video doorbell?

Yes, bought the original ring doorbell from QVC; but was extremely disappointed to find out after about 2 hrs on phone w/tech support that there's known problem with some Android phones and I can't access the info from my Samsung Note 3. Took very long time to get to the point where we found out the problem wasn't something we did wrong. My husband may be hundreds of miles away & can see who's at my front door but I'm here locally and can't see a thing. Will have to buy another phone. Very very disappointed, that should've been disclosed.

Esteemed Contributor

@TX green-eyed lady, thank you for this detail.  What was the issue with the phone?  Do you need an iPhone?  LM

Honored Contributor

@LilacTree wrote:

Since besides QVC, it is so prolifically advertised on TV, I can't see this item lasting long.  When everyone knows about it, what's to stop them from throwing a rock at the device, whether it's a camera or otherwise, taking what they want and just running off?  Especially if no one is home?

Perhaps I don't understand the technology.

The bad guys/gals are getting smarter and wearing ski masks or hiding their faces these days locally. Some are even stealing the Ring or other security devices along with the packages. (Ring offers a free replacement if it gets stolen.) Things like Ring stop the dumb thieves, but the smarter ones learn and adapt.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Trusted Contributor

I have had one for two years.

Many annoying issues I have is:

it misses people walking up my driveway because it is busy uploading the previous video of a car going by. The upload lag is very, very annoying.

The recording time is only 20 seconds and there is no way to increase the time (the Arlo cameras you can make the record time what you want up, to 2 min I think). 20 seconds is not long enough.

If there is a problem or scuffle or angry words happening outside (hasn't happened to me, just a hypothetical) that would be so important for crime proof, but it still only records 20 seconds then stops to go upload. By the time it is done uploading and resetting itself to pay attention, something horrible could happen to someone.

If there is motion in your yard or driveway, it stops recording if the motion continues. ie: This is just for fun for me, but when playing with my grandson in the yard, it records 20 seconds and then because the motion continues, it figures it is no big deal and it just stops alerting and recording. I know that is minor, I figured it would be fun to see us playing and I would keep that video.

But that example goes back to what happens if I randomly open the door to take out the trash and someone is there, but my non-handy Ring missed seeing them get to the door? I could walk into a package thief, but my lazy doorbell doesn't even notice and doesn't alert. Awesome.

I always say to my son "That doorbell is not anywhere close to security. My UPS man can get all the way to the door, drop the package, and I get the alert showing him walking back to his truck, what good is that?"

My doorbell is mounted aside a walk-in door right next to my garage door. I can drive out of the garage, drive down the driveway, and leave. Come back, back my car into my garage, and what does it catch? If I am lucky, it will catch the last 10 seconds of backing into my garage. No leave time, no arrival in my driveway, nada.

I also realized that it does not record at all if you go to "Liveview" to look if you hear a noise or whatever. It switches over to Liveview, so if there was good reason for the noise, it is not recording it because it can't do 2 things at the same time.

I could write a booklet on how annoying this doorbell can be. I am on the hunt for a real security system now. My doorbell is hardwired so I don't have to worry about batteries, but I am finding Arlo and Blink and all those systems all run on battery. ANY battery operated camera will not work well when temps go down below freezing. That is not a problem for warm parts of the country, but not where I live.

It would be great if Ring would put more R&D into the software of this doorbell and fix the glitches, slow video upload, the 20 second record time, and all that, but they are busy making it so that you can change out the face plate and stuff that doesn't matter.

I even bought a range extender and put it in the room right next to where the doorbell is mounted because Ring Support thought my lazy doorbell was missing lots of motion because maybe it was too far from the router. I am in a small ranch style house, not a mansion, but OK. I bought a range extender. Didn't help at all.

Me and my doorbell have a love/hate relationship. It is handy to go to Liveview to see if it is raining out instead of having to get up and look out a window. It gets a point for that Smiley Happy

Super Contributor

Ring Door bell chime pro does not give more than 30 seconds of video.  I am upset about this.  QVC should have told people this when selling it. Ring employees are very nice but they can't help you when you call.  Sorry I bought it.  Might buy Blink . But first I'll read all of the reviews

Super Contributor

@LilacTree wrote:

Since besides QVC, it is so prolifically advertised on TV, I can't see this item lasting long.  When everyone knows about it, what's to stop them from throwing a rock at the device, whether it's a camera or otherwise, taking what they want and just running off?  Especially if no one is home?

They can throw as many rocks at they would like....the camera will still capture them...which is the main thing....so that's the technology.

Esteemed Contributor

@gardenman wrote:

@LilacTree wrote:

The bad guys/gals are getting smarter and wearing ski masks or hiding their faces these days locally. Some are even stealing the Ring or other security devices along with the packages. (Ring offers a free replacement if it gets stolen.) Things like Ring stop the dumb thieves, but the smarter ones learn and adapt.

OMG, Will it ever stop!? I wish they used this energy to get a JOB!Woman Mad