Esteemed Contributor

Re: Does anyone have RING, the video doorbell?

@nyc1, thanks for telling me the difference.  I would definitely go for the hardwired one since there is a choice.  I will keep an eye on the Costco site.  With the printer, they would not price match but I checked the site a couple of days later and they made a big price adjustment which they were able to give me b/c it was within 30 days of the date of my purchase.  LM

Honored Contributor

Since besides QVC, it is so prolifically advertised on TV, I can't see this item lasting long.  When everyone knows about it, what's to stop them from throwing a rock at the device, whether it's a camera or otherwise, taking what they want and just running off?  Especially if no one is home?

Perhaps I don't understand the technology.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Respected Contributor

@LilacTree wrote:

Since besides QVC, it is so prolifically advertised on TV, I can't see this item lasting long.  When everyone knows about it, what's to stop them from throwing a rock at the device, whether it's a camera or otherwise, taking what they want and just running off?  Especially if no one is home?

Perhaps I don't understand the technology.

You have to have a great arm for that to happen.  The device starts recording long before you get to the house.  Even if they did block or damage the camera, they are already recorded. 

Honored Contributor

I'm going to visit my daughter in a day or two.  I've had 2 of the ring doorbell things for months.  

Yesterday my friend put them up (one at the garage door and one at my front door).

She also put up the Bing security cameras in the house.  Now mind you, I already have Nest videos.

The Nest cameras have always driven me crazy because they were always coming on and nothing would be there.

Anyway, the indoor video cameras are set to the garage door (inside) and the other Bing camera is inside facing the front door.

I'm 'wired' up the wazoo!  The pictures are clear and so far I like it.  I was eating lunch out with my friend today and I got a 'ring'.  I looked and sure enough the UPS guy had left a package from QVC (those frozen hamburger/steaks).  I showed my friend.  She's thinking about getting one.

I'm glad I found out about this being delivered because otherwise I might not have known.  I don't use my front door (park inside house) so they might have set outside for a day or two.  

Esteemed Contributor

@Annabellethecat66 Et al, thank you for the feedback. Do you install these electronic devices yourself or have someone do it for you?  I wish I could find someone to just fix up these issues for me.  I have no trouble doing the computer/iPhone/streaming boxes but I don’t know anything about this.  That’s where I fall ... knowing how to get them installed.  

I am not interested in a security system that someone sells for a monthly service fee.  I live is the burbs and it would take way too long for police to show up to be effective.  My neighbor has one and I just laugh because she is calling me all the time to tell her what is going on in her yard.  

Comments?  LM

Honored Contributor

I'm on NextDoor dot com with several neighborhoods in my area.  Recently someone posted a video that had been taken with their Ring video doorbell of someone coming in and robbing their house.  It was a very clear picture of the person walking up to their door, knocking and then breaking in.  He gave the video to the police, and they caught the guy.  I'm seriously considering getting one.  I think I would get an electrician to install it for me.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Esteemed Contributor

@NickNack, that’s a great story.  I think i’m Going to make this a Fall project.  LM

Honored Contributor

@Lilysmom Well, my friend installed 2 of them (front and back at garage door).

They worked great while I was gone.  Another friend bought me a Rubbermaid big box with a lid and put it in the driveway for the mailmake and UPS guy to put my packages.  

I can see them when they deliver the packages and put them into the big box (out of the bad weather).

I was just telling someone else here.  I already had the Nest cameras.  My friend installed the Bing cameras (2 of them).

The cats set them off all of the time.  It's funny to see them.  The bad thing is it makes me realize how fat I've gotten (the cameras)...ugh!

Between the bells ringing (those are the RING cameras), the beeps of the nest and the Bing, AND when I get a text message, my daughter kept saying, "Mom!  Your phone is driving me crazy with all of the noise".  I don't mind hearing it all all.....it's kinda fun.

While away another friend shampooed some of my rugs.  She was in and out and every time the videos and doorbells were going off!

I just bought from QVC 3 (set) of Bing cameras.  I have a pretty big house so it isn't quite overkill but pretty close now!  Ha!

My daughter has COMCAST videos in the front and back of her house.  She has a townhouse on a busy street.

I hope I helped you to decide.  Maybe it's a matter of what you (or anyone) wants to put up with.  I don't really mind it at all.

Esteemed Contributor

@Annabellethecat66, thanks for the stories.  It sounds like a great set up.  I always like to hear ‘real’ people’s reviews since some times I wonder about the online ones.  LM

Honored Contributor

@Lilysmom You are welcome!  I just got a ring sound on my phone and when I looked it was the post office truck with the guy putting my QVC and other packages in the Rubbermaid box my friend gave me for that reason.  It's so convenient.  I live in a split foyer and with my bad back, going up and down the stairs isn't always easy.  This way I don't have to go down there (out the garage door) unless there are packages in the box.

I use the garage door because I park in there and going up and down the front steps isn't always easy.

Take care @Lilysmom and have a wonderful and safe weekend.