Esteemed Contributor

Do any of you have a Car Starter/Power Pack that you have used and recommend?

Being without power during Irma caused me to want to purchase one.  My laptop ran out but the phone lasted.

I can't imagine being without one any longer!  TIA

Honored Contributor

Re: Do any of you have a Car Starter/Power Pack that you have used and recommend?

[ Edited ]

Do you only want ones that also start your car? I don't have one of those. As far as a battery bank, it depends on how many devices you want to keep charged, how many USB plugs do you need and how many charges,, how long do you expect to be without power, do you need it to fit in your purse, or are you always going to leave it at home? 

I have a DULLA M50000 Portable Power Bank 12000mAh, it has two USB plugs, has a flashlight. It fits in my purse but it's heavy at 12oz, it will not jump start my car. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Trusted Contributor

Re: Do any of you have a Car Starter/Power Pack that you have used and recommend?

@Zhills I have the Halo that QVC sells. I have used to jump start my car and I used when Irma hit. I was without power for awhile and used it to power my fan. I throughly recommend it.

Honored Contributor

@Zhills

I have a small one that I have used to start our lawn tractor twice. Pocket sized that barely used any of its power up to start this twice. Bought it on Amazon, will have to check brand later. Came with carrying case/cables and instructions. Charges using an AC outlet.

If that is what you are looking for, this one worked great the times I have used it. It is not turning over a 4-6-8 cylinder higher cubic inch motor, but it has the power to do so if I need it to start one of our vehicles. Our small car is a 4 cylinder and our SUV is a V8. Don't see it having a problem starting either.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Esteemed Contributor

@hckynutDoes it include a USB or 120 V plug?

There are so many it is difficult to know what you really need.

We would have been OK if we could have made some coffee!!!!

Respected Contributor

I have a Black and Decker 375 AMP charger that I purchased from QVC some years ago.  We live in a hurricane prone area just North of New Orleans, and have used it through every hurriane from the Category 1's through Katrina.  It has an electrical plug on top to charge it, and I keep it charged on the first of every month.  I've never used it for the car, but I do use it constantly when the power is out. Fully charged, it will charge cell phones for five people thru a couple of weeks with no power as well as computers, etc..  Has a plug to charge things like cell phones, computers, etc. It's kept in the house during hurricane season and goes back to the car afterwards.  I've never used it to charge appliances, but have used it for a small television set and/or a radio if it's batteries run down.

I am sure they have similar products now, probably stronger and more effective than mine, although mine is wonderful. Buy the best you can find, but be sure it has plugs for electronic devices. It will be very helpful to you.