Honored Contributor

Re: Do You Take Out Protection Plans For Your Electronics

I do not. Two months ago, I dropped my iPhone and shattered the screen. First time I've ever had an iPhone break and I've had an iPhone since 2007. I did not buy the Apple Care plan, but I contacted some local repair places and they fixed it. Here's how it breaks down:

Apple Care for an iPhone - $99

Apple Care deductible for a screen repair - $79.

Total Apple Care cost: $178.

Apple Charges $129 to repair an iPhone 5s screen without Apple Care, as did the local place I took mine to. I saved nearly $50 by not having Apple Care. (I could have saved $60 if I'd known the local repair place had a $10 coupon on Yelp.) And I got my phone fixed in an hour.

I would have to replace my screen twice or have a catastrophic event to make Apple Care worth it. If I had bought the Apple Care plan for all my iPhones (I'm on my third), I would have spent $297 on what amounts to insurance and $79 for the new screen. Instead, I've spent $129 on repairs.

I would never drive a car without insurance, but I don't get it for my electronics.

Respected Contributor

No, retailers always push extended warranties because they make a huge profit on selling them to customers.

Honored Contributor

No, I don't buy protection plans on electronics.
Respected Contributor

Nope, never. I really thought about it when I bought my high dollar Samsung Note 3 outright (not on a contract), but decided not to. So far so good.

It is a gamble, but I have saved so much through the years buy not buying it, if I do break something and have to buy new it will still be way cheaper than buying the extra insurance for everything I've bought in the past.

Honored Contributor

I never buy manufacturers extra warranties, or Big Box warranties, but Square Trade warranties are inexpensive for what they cover and the service they provide, so I do have a few - on cameras, and an iPad and iPhone. I figure how long the mfg warranty is vs. what a ST warranty costs vs. how long before technology has overtaken my model and/or what I'd have to pay for a replacement, and decide if I should get the warranty or not. Digital cameras, for example, can malfunction more than some other electronics.
Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Occasional Contributor

When I purchased my HP laptop 3 yrs ago, I also purchased a 3 yr warranty from Square Trade. Two weeks before expiration a driver needed to be replaced. They told me to have it repaired and send them the bill. The check came 2 days later!!!! Great customer service!

Occasional Contributor

When I purchased my HP laptop 3 yrs ago, I also purchased a 3 yr warranty from Square Trade. Two weeks before expiration a driver needed to be replaced. They told me to have it repaired and send them the bill. The check came 2 days later!!!! Great customer service!

Honored Contributor

Do You Take Out Protection Plans For Your Electronics

The only "protection plans" I've ever taken out in my life are on the many new cars that I ordered. Most came with only 1 year warranties, and since I sell all of them myself, having a remaining warranty on them always makes them much easier to sell. Through in low mileage and excellent condition and I've never had a problem selling any of them for the price I have wanted.

While I've bought electronics since the 1950's, many of them things most here probably didn't know existed, I have never, ever purchased an extended warranty on any of them. I also have never had a reason to regret my decisions. In other words, nothing went so seriously wrong with any of them, that I felt bad for not taking out a "protection plan".

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

I never purchase extended warranties on anything - appliances, electronics or cars. Over the years I have never had anything happen that would have been covered by the warranty. I am sure something eventually will but figure I have saved enough that it will have been worth it.

Respected Contributor

On 9/29/2014 Skylands said:

FYI...............Consumer Report states that these extended warranties are a waste of $$$.

I agree.