Respected Contributor

I have an old laptop that I no longer use and want to trash it.  But, before I do I want to make sure all my personal information is off.  Does anyone know how I can do that?  Or, should I take it to someplace like Best Buy and let their techs do it?

Thanks.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Disposing of Old Computer

Looking for the same answer.  Also I have old phones.  Would appreciate some advice.  Best Buy takes phones, but  not sure they will be safe (information).

Honored Contributor

I have a chromebook and another android tablet - on both under settings there is an option to "return to original factory condition" that wipes it clean and leaves it as it was when purchased. When i bought my chromebook 2 years ago the rep at the store showed me this setting when he sold it to me because it had been the floor sample and needed to be returned to it's original factory condition.

Honored Contributor

take out the hard drive and smash it with a hammer until you hear the pieces rattling inside, or drill through it with a power drill

that way no one can reuse the HD, then you can give the laptop or computer away or recycle them.

Honored Contributor

I've got a computer in my garage that I'd like to throw away.  I don't know how to take the hard drive out.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Esteemed Contributor

Returning the computer to factory settings does nothing to erase your data, it only resets operating software.

If you want to erase data you will have to buy software that over-writes the data.

Esteemed Contributor

@151949 wrote:

I have a chromebook and another android tablet - on both under settings there is an option to "return to original factory condition" that wipes it clean and leaves it as it was when purchased. When i bought my chromebook 2 years ago the rep at the store showed me this setting when he sold it to me because it had been the floor sample and needed to be returned to it's original factory condition.

I run this "return to original factory condition" two or three times and it deletes my data.

Honored Contributor

@Nicknack wrote:

I've got a computer in my garage that I'd like to throw away.  I don't know how to take the hard drive out.

Hi @NickNack  it is pretty easy, I am going be a wimp and tell you to youtube it.

just look for some scr-ws and un-----  the base of the laptop or tower and take it off and look for the hardrive and yank it out.

get your hammer and smash

hard drive what is looks like they are not that big

Honored Contributor

Thanks @jackthebear.  I was going to Google it, but looking it up on You Tube would be much better.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Esteemed Contributor

@Nuttmeg wrote:

@151949 wrote:

I run this "return to original factory condition" two or three times and it deletes my data.

It is not removed.  It has become invisible to you but it can be recovered unless it is over-written.  It is still on the disk.  Ditto if you go in and delete files, they are there and a good IT person can recover them.