Honored Contributor

Like most here, I refuse to pay any more for cable than I'm paying now, which is too much, IMO.

I'm not that committed to any shows on any channel, that I can't live without them.

But the never ending greed of the cable companies is shameful to me too.

I feel like they're exploiting the health crisis we're all dealing with, when many have lost jobs, working from home, businesses going under and most people are just looking for entertainment in their own homes.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Esteemed Contributor

@AngelPuppy1

I feel your upset.The cord cutting has been going on for years.

I have had Hulu since 2015. I am not sure how long Netflix has offered streaming as part of their service. 

Paramount plus old CBS-All Access is  bringing new content to the service in March.

Disney plus is bringing a few new series to market in March. 

Discovery plus  a large company looking to establish  itself in this space.

You may find a promotion for new subscribers in March. 

Frequent Contributor

Wow if you don't want to pay the money than don't it's called making a choice for me I will give up a Starbucks coffe and will get the Discivery+ it's pretty much equal to two handling and shipping and anyone that doesn't have $7 extra than maybe you should not be shopping It's a choice 

Trusted Contributor

@sherylsiu My issue is they didn't do anything to "enhance" it.  They are asking for more money to watch the exact shows you were watching before with no real reason other than to add to their profits and pay for a new logo.   Cable companies make plenty of money already.  To do this when the country is suffering is in fact disgusting.  And to say "maybe we should not be shopping"??  Excuse me?  That $5.99 trial cost will keep increasing and they will continue to raise it offering nothing more than the same content as before.  If you are going to raise your price than provide a reason, not just that "you can" because you know more people are at home and you're taking advantage of that.  And yes I CAN afford it, I won't because it's a shameless ripoff of their customer base.  They understand there are some people so addicted to those shows they can keep dangling the carrot and they will keep following regardless of the cost.  Those same people will justify it saying I will give up XYZ purchase...and yet those same people don't give up those other purchases and then eventually when they keep getting increase notices will finally realize they were ripped off.  Then when you try to cancel they make it so difficult it's annoying.   I can  live without those shows.  And a whole lot of people are complaining and not buying because it is a ripoff.  Increasing the price when they obviously make an obscene profit off their customers already is disgusting.  And so many people are hurting right now.  But yes please belittle the people who are more cautious with their money and unwilling to fall for a company's shameless ploy.    

Frequent Contributor

If that is how you feel then why bring it up, yes the price will go up just like everything else including QVC prices but I don't see you mention that I'm sure you pay more for the shopping channels again it's a choice and it sounds to me like you are the one belittling the people that chose to get the channel 

Esteemed Contributor

I already have Disney + Amazon Prime and Netflix...not sure if I am going to bother with adding another.... Discovery +....

I have plenty to watch.....

Honored Contributor

I'm a DirecTV customer and I feel like I'm getting shorted with my programming now since Disc+ has taken away some programs out of my package...not to mention the reruns they are showing on my channels now. In a way it's like getting a price increase where I'm paying for stuff I've already seen and not getting new shows anymore either. After all that is said and done, DirecTV will inevitably raise my bill again this year for what?!

Super Contributor

I'm sick of their endless commercials. I DO NOT want to subscribe. I'm watching less and less of their shows to escape the commercials.

Frequent Contributor

Just my experience and heard from a friend also.  She and I both have the same cable company.  They are lookng to get rid of cable and just want to be inet carriers.  I received an email from the cable company stating such.  They were directing me to streaming services, etc.  

I've heard some talk about youtubeTV.  Asked my same friend about it as you can share an account.   However, the originator of that account is what creates  your content.  Meaning, if you have a relative in Chicago that is the originator, you will only get local Chicago content, yet many of the cable channels.  

Hope this helps.

Honored Contributor

@Nuttmeg 

Each time our renewal is about to end, we review and see if there is anything we can cut out to make our bill more doable, but they just keep adding more surcharges and taxes, etc.!  I do love me some t.v., but goodness, it's terrible how they take advantage and I have to draw the line somewhere.  When you're retired and on a fixed income, you have to cut back some!  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin