Honored Contributor

Did more with the Echo today.

[ Edited ]

Today, I decided not to use the grocery list that comes with the Echo. I added an app called OurGroceries on my husband's cell and my iPad and synced it with the Echo. This worked out well. I can add groceries orally with Echo or can go to the app on iPad or iPhone and type in what I need to add.

I added some news networks to my morning briefing. CNN Flash Briefing, Science Daily, Wall Street Journal, Today's Forecast (weather), Good News. The briefing is something you can listen to and read the screen. There's much more news and ways to watch and listen other than My Briefing. To use this, say, "Alexa, What's my flash briefing?"

I use "Stream Player" which has a menu of 9 pages of stations you can open and watch news. I watched KTLA...which is from Los Angeles, WSVN 7...which is local news here in s. FL. There were news stations from everywhere. I can't believe it's free. "Alexa, open Stream Player." I was also able to watch QVC 2 on this.

You can also say, " Alexa, help me listen to live sports." I didn't do this yet but I did put all the sports scores and upcoming games on it for my husband. 

I played a game called Song Quiz. It's fun. Alexa, open "Song Quiz."

Wish I could remember what prompt I used but I was able to get an in-depth scientific report on ICU psychosis, aka, ICU delirium. This was helpful to my husband, as we are dealing with this issue in a close friend. I was also able to get a Echo the pull up Wikipedia on this and she read the text aloud.

There's so much. I started to write down some things so I don't forget how to use them. 

Echo can also act as a TV for guests to watch with Amazon Prime. There's tons of stuff for kids too. Flash cards, games, videos. There's even videos for dogs and cats to watch. It's loaded.

Honored Contributor

Re: Did more with the Echo today.

@Mindy D   Can you read and write email on this thing?9

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Kachina624 wrote:

@Mindy D   Can you read and write email on this thing?9

@Kachina624 There is something for email. You can not type directly on it. You can see your email on it if you set it up to do so. It looks like you can see GMAIL and Microsoft mail, but it looks like you can't see  AT&T Yahoo Mail. This could change. New skills are added daily.

Esteemed Contributor

@Mindy D , great reviews.  It sounds like a very enjoyable device.  Don't you love the possibilities new electronics bring?  LM

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Mindy D  Yes, we are lovin' Alexa too!  Yesterday we were in the Verizon store talking to the manager and I asked if he was concerned about the ability of Alexa to record.  He told us there is an application to stop this from happening.  We will check this out on You Tube to be sure that this function is disabled.

We start our day with Alexa giving us the weather...I'd like to add the news feed option.  The grocery list has become a go-to (so handy to pull it up on the tv screen/Iphones), music, questions regarding store hours, etc.  We use Alexa a lot and miss the convenience when traveling.

Enjoy your adventures with Alexa!

Esteemed Contributor

It's wonderful how your enjoying your echo. 

Honored Contributor

@phoenixbrd wrote:

@Mindy D  Yes, we are lovin' Alexa too!  Yesterday we were in the Verizon store talking to the manager and I asked if he was concerned about the ability of Alexa to record.  He told us there is an application to stop this from happening.  We will check this out on You Tube to be sure that this function is disabled.

We start our day with Alexa giving us the weather...I'd like to add the news feed option.  The grocery list has become a go-to (so handy to pull it up on the tv screen/Iphones), music, questions regarding store hours, etc.  We use Alexa a lot and miss the convenience when traveling.

Enjoy your adventures with Alexa!

You don't have to miss Alexa while traveling as she comes standard on some smartphones. Amazon sells a number of unlocked smartphones with Alexa built-in.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Trusted Contributor

@Mindy D 

I got the Echo show for Christmas. I hadn’t really done much with it other than ask the time or weather. Over the weekend I added photos for the background. I also linked it to my Blink system.

Yesterday I asked for a recipe using yellow cake mix & apple pie filling. I made one of the recipes suggested. It was Apple Cake III. Gotta tell you it was delicious! I chopped the apples into bite-sized pieces like some of the reviewers said. When asked how it was DH said “really good!” I usually just get an “it’s all right.” And no oil in the recipe. Just cake mix, pie filling & eggs. Topping has 1 T. of butter, brown sugar, flour cinnamon & walnuts.

I’m going to check out the grocery app you mentioned & see about a news briefing. Keep your tips coming! 😀

Honored Contributor

I ordered one and can't wait to try it !

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Honored Contributor

I was in the first wave of people who received the Echo but have never used it to full capacity.  More than anything else, I use Alexa to spell words for me.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment