Honored Contributor

Did anyone else get a new smart 4K television?

I bought a new Sony 900e. I haven’t hooked it up yet. I have Directv and will also be using Netflix. If doc buy a new TV, hows your experience been setting it up?

Respected Contributor

Re: Did anyone else get a new smart 4K television?

@Mindy D wrote:

I bought a new Sony 900e. I haven’t hooked it up yet. I have Directv and will also be using Netflix. If doc buy a new TV, hows your experience been setting it up?

I don't have that model but as a rule, they are easy to set up. 

Honored Contributor

I bought one for my daughter over Thanksgiving (a 55 inch Samsung).  She loves it.

She and her boyfriend set the thing up while I was visiting her.

Respected Contributor

No. Still have my old "stupid" TV sets. They seem to work fine, at least when the cable isn't out.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Mindy D

We got a 4K tv (SONY Bravia 43” for our bedroom).

The thing we didn’t realize at first was that we needed an HDMI cable, which didn’t come with it.

Once we attached this, the set-up was smooth.

We are using Direct TV and have not used Net Flix yet.

I am starting to get brave thinking about trying Net Flix but have not attempted this yet!

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Honored Contributor

@Mindy D wrote:

@Mindy D . Our old TV died right around Thanksgiving and we purchased a new 65" 4k Sony too.  Might even be the same model but 'm not sure which one since my husband picked it out and I'm too lazy to go take a look right now.  

There have been no problems with set up but we have Verizon Fios not Directv.  Beautiful picture!

Honored Contributor

@Mindy D

I have had my Samsung 65" curved JS9000 4k Smart tv for over 2 years now. For me it is a simple setup and I have Dish Network. Just hooked up the cables/plugged it in, and followed the step by step instructions.

Now I have been setting up Audio and Video components for decades, and have seen some very complicated setups over those times. This Samsung however, if one follows the onscreen steps, is pretty simple to set up.

If you has Netflx and use a password, you should have no trouble accessing it. Most smart 4k smart tv sets come with a Netflix Icon, some even have a Netflix button on the remote control.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Esteemed Contributor

A few months back after remodeling the den I purchased a 50 inch Sony 4K smart t.v. My handyman who redid the room hooked it up in about 10 minutes.We love it!!

In a few weeks I’m going to buy a 70 inch 4K smart t.v. to replace an old one in my living / family room. These smart t.v.s are awesome!!

Honored Contributor

I bought the 55" 4K Fire TV by Element back on Prime Day in July, and it was a snap to set up. 

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@hckynut wrote:

@Mindy D

I have had my Samsung 65" curved JS9000 4k Smart tv for over 2 years now. For me it is a simple setup and I have Dish Network. Just hooked up the cables/plugged it in, and followed the step by step instructions.

Now I have been setting up Audio and Video components for decades, and have seen some very complicated setups over those times. This Samsung however, if one follows the onscreen steps, is pretty simple to set up.

If you has Netflx and use a password, you should have no trouble accessing it. Most smart 4k smart tv sets come with a Netflix Icon, some even have a Netflix button on the remote control.

hckynut(john)

Hi, hickynut. I know from your posts that you are a techie, so I have questions. I spent plenty of time researching this model TV, watching YouTube videos, visiting online television advisor sites such as rtings.com. Most of the television pros have videos about calibrating the TV to meet the needs of a viewer’s useage. These videos addressed settings for gaming, for watching 4K Blue Ray CDs, for watching 4K Netflix and watching the limited 4K programming available for an extra price for Directv. I’ll be setting up to get the best experience with 1080 P DIrectv, so the best I can hope for is upconverting. I want to know if you subscribe to Netflix through this set as well as subscribe to cable or satellite. If so, which did you calibrate the TV for...the Netflix via WiFi or the cable, via WiFi, or satellite? Did you just pick one type of viewing option and setup the TV for that?