Frequent Contributor

Just an FYI, for those of you who are in the market for a new computer, Dell is having a Presidents Day Sale Feb 11th - Feb 20th 2019.  Last year during Labor Day I picked up a nice little laptop for $200.00!

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Dell Presidents Day Sale

I thank you for the heads up but, I would never touch another Dell device back in the day before Michael Dell sold the company to Indians it was a good company. Now the CS is terrible and the devices follow suit. JMHO but, I swore off windows anything. We are a CB house now and we love our laptops. HeartHeartHeartWoman Very Happy

Honored Contributor

No thanks.  Dell had always been an excellent company until   Michael Dell sold some of it to Microsoft and someone else in 2013, and when it gave their technical support and customer service to India and South America. My horrendous experience with them a few years ago is the last one.

From sending the wrong computer to having to call South America 5 times to get a return label...forced to use outsourced customer service and tech support in foreign countries if you want the free year or two that comes with a new computer. 

Finally, when the right one arrived, it was configured wrong and, of course, it took me a year to get that straightened out.  Dell's technical support kept telling me after running programs..."OK, it's fixed now" or "It's Microsoft's fault."  It wasn't.  So, I ended up paying someone else to fix it.  

There were times I knew more than the techs and I'm not a techie. Their accents so heavy, most of the time I couldn't understand them.

And please don't mention Microsoft.  Windows 10 and Explorer 11 are trash.  

Companies often blame the economy and other excuses for lost sales, but most of the time it's their own fault.  

Does anyone have experience with HP? 

Respected Contributor

@apple1964 wrote:

I thank you for the heads up but, I would never touch another Dell device back in the day before Michael Dell sold the company to Indians it was a good company. Now the CS is terrible and the devices follow suit. JMHO but, I swore off windows anything. We are a CB house now and we love our laptops. HeartHeartHeartWoman Very Happy

Who/what is CB?

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I've had very good luck with Dells.  My laptop is over 9 years old and still works great.

We bought a second Dell desktop a few years ago.

I bought my grandson an HP laptop for Christmas '17.  It died three times in the first year.  I said I'd never buy another HP but the last time HP did replace it which we appreciated.

I can't imagine why anyone would disparage Windows 10, Microsoft or Internet Explorer.

We all have bad experiences with electronics - doesn't mean the entire company or product is terrible.  

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@FranandZoe wrote:

@apple1964 wrote:

Who/what is CB?

Chrome book Woman LOL

Esteemed Contributor

@FranandZoe wrote:

I've had very good luck with Dells.  My laptop is over 9 years old and still works great.

I bought my grandson an HP laptop for Christmas '17.  It died three times in the first year.  I said I'd never buy another HP but the last time HP did replace it which we appreciated.

I can't imagine why anyone would disparage Windows 10, Microsoft or Internet Explorer.

We all have bad experiences with electronics - doesn't mean the entire company or product is terrible.  

@FranandZoe wrote:

@FranandZoe wrote:

They [DELL] need to take a course in English and then in technology because the Dell company has terrible customer service, why would I "disparage" win 10 microsoft  or internet explorer [is that still around?] Because with each of them I have a horror story. That is why.. they need to get their act together.

Esteemed Contributor

@Foxxee wrote:

No thanks.  Dell had always been an excellent company until   Michael Dell sold some of it to Microsoft and someone else in 2013, and when it gave their technical support and customer service to India and South America. My horrendous experience with them a few years ago is the last one.

From sending the wrong computer to having to call South America 5 times to get a return label...forced to use outsourced customer service and tech support in foreign countries if you want the free year or two that comes with a new computer. 

Finally, when the right one arrived, it was configured wrong and, of course, it took me a year to get that straightened out.  Dell's technical support kept telling me after running programs..."OK, it's fixed now" or "It's Microsoft's fault."  It wasn't.  So, I ended up paying someone else to fix it.  

There were times I knew more than the techs and I'm not a techie. Their accents so heavy, most of the time I couldn't understand them.

And please don't mention Microsoft.  Windows 10 and Explorer 11 are trash.  

Companies often blame the economy and other excuses for lost sales, but most of the time it's their own fault.  

Does anyone have experience with HP? 

Yes, I have Chrome books and I had laptops from this company. I always buy from the source they are a great company to deal with and I always buy new not refurbished or slightly used devices. Never have had a problem with my devices except they became slow and outdated. we always buy from HP directly. And if you do not like windows move to a Chrome book no problem with updates we get  updates and Chrome books have built in virus protection. And now they also have the play store which is great. Once you get used to the settings your golden. These devices are easy to navigate though and they are snappy and very responsive.

Valued Contributor

thats great to know.love it ;

Esteemed Contributor

@anin wrote:

thats great to know.love it ;

Happy shopping! Alway so exciting and fun to get a new device.Much love!!!!