Respected Contributor

Re: Dell Laptop or HP from the other channel

Yeah, I did confuse which computer was featured on which shopping channel. Those are not my preferred sources for ordering computers, however.  The next one I'm ready to buy will be about the 12th or 13th one I've purchased for myself and others in the family since the 1980s, and I always have to study and ponder, study and ponder, until I'm sure about the specs.  Most of my purchases have been custom built by DELL.

The four-year-old DELL desktop has been totally taken over by my husband since he retired, and  its Windows 7 system is perfect for him to continue his volunteer statistical software  programming work for the agency where he worked for 40 years.  The government has not upgraded to Windows 8 or 10 and probably won't for a long time, so our desktop is compatible with the agency's secure network and his coworkers.

Meanwhile, my Windows 7 HP laptop with i-5 processor is still going strong, but I'm ready for an upgrade.  I went with an off-the-shelf HP from Costco for the laptop, and I have benefited from purchasing it from Costco in several ways since then.  Costco does have a few models going on sale tomorrow (Nov. 30) that look good.  Just need to decide whether I want to go up in price and get a premium-priced processor and whether I'd like a 17-inch model better.  At that size, however, it's not really a nice portable laptop, is it?

Respected Contributor

I wanted another 17". I like the full view versus the 15", though finding a carrying bag for it can be difficult. I found a pretty one at BestBuy and it arrives tomorrow. I also wanted a thinner computer and lighter. My custom Dell laptop from 09' began to give me the blue screen of death, but other than that it was great and just needs a new hardrive, but the darned thing is so much heavier even for lap work let alone traveling. I picked up an off the shelf Acer at WM for work to travel with since it is lighter and only run my work stuff. I upgraded the memory because it was much cheaper than the older Dell because of the old form of memory. Once updated, it ran find, but still lacked speed that I wanted for my daily multitasking for my crafting and personal software. I went with the Dell because of the fantastic combo and price and colors that are wonderful. Also it comes with a DVD/RW drive, where many don't have that these days. Why, I don't know.

There are so many good options for people out there these days, that anyone can find a good laptop to suite their needs and their budget. We are all fortunate that technology has gotten so much cheaper and the like.
Esteemed Contributor

I have a Toshiba.  I did research to find the perfect PC for me. Not depend on a sale pitch. I found what I needed at a fair price at a brick amd mortar store.