Highlighted
Respected Contributor

Dell 15.6" Laptop AMD A8 Quad Core 8GB RAM 1TB HD with MS Ofc

I wanted to read reviews of the TSV Dell Laptop, but it shows "Sold Out" now.

Dell 15.6" Laptop AMD A8 Quad Core 8GB RAM 1TB HD with MS Office

If you ordered, already received, and have been using this laptop, can you give me your honest reviews. This includes reviews of the laptop and Dell service (if you needed to call with questions).

I currently have a 2009 Dell 1545 Inspiron Laptop, and was considering getting this laptop.

Not applicable

Re: Dell 15.6"" Laptop AMD A8 Quad Core 8GB RAM 1TB HD with MS Ofc

I bought the 15.6", Merlot, with MS Office, as a TSV. The windows 8 was a bit strange but I got past that. The problem was that about half hour into using the computer it loses it's internet connection. My husband has us set up on a very fast WIFI router so that is not an issue. As matter of fact, while my computer is not connected to internet, I am still able to use the iPad and the cell phone on wifi. The TV is also hooked up to wifi. This problem happened a LOT. Restated, the new laptop is the only contraption that is not staying connected. My old Dell laptop, an XPS, did not have this trouble.

Needless to say, I will be returning this one.

I was not impressed with the screen display. It is advertised as HD but I expected the colors to be more vibrant. At least on par with the iPad.

Not too pleased. However, had the internet worked I would have kept it. That was the deal breaker.

Respected Contributor

On 1/1/2014 sgissy said:

I bought the 15.6", Merlot, with MS Office, as a TSV. The windows 8 was a bit strange but I got past that. The problem was that about half hour into using the computer it loses it's internet connection. My husband has us set up on a very fast WIFI router so that is not an issue. As matter of fact, while my computer is not connected to internet, I am still able to use the iPad and the cell phone on wifi. The TV is also hooked up to wifi. This problem happened a LOT. Restated, the new laptop is the only contraption that is not staying connected. My old Dell laptop, an XPS, did not have this trouble.

Needless to say, I will be returning this one.

I was not impressed with the screen display. It is advertised as HD but I expected the colors to be more vibrant. At least on par with the iPad.

Not too pleased. However, had the internet worked I would have kept it. That was the deal breaker.

You really can't expect a HD display to look as good as the retina display of Apple products.

New Contributor

I bought this laptop a couple of weeks ago when it was a tsv. I bought the 17 in red without Microsoft Office and I love it. I had a minor issue with the computer when I first got it called Dell tech support and the girl there was great. She went remotely into my computer and fixed the small issue the computer runs great she also helped me set up my email and some other things she was patient and very professional I was very impressed with their tech support at Dell. I called their tech support Dept directly when I needed assistance. I have had other brands in the past and they were not very good so I decided to buy this Dell glad I did...

Not applicable

I absolutely love the product. I did call Dell for technical assistance and they were AWESOME! 17" is a beauty. I have not loaded the software disc yet but will by the end of the weekend. I highly recommend it. If it matters to you that you have an Intel vs AMD than go pay more $$. It absolutely works for me and I've been using laptops for many, many years. Love it!

Occasional Contributor

I have the 17.3 and like it very much. I have had Dell computers before and like them, I had no problem in hooking it up or going on line. So far it is working with no problems. As far as Windows 8.1, no problem here either. It will take some adjusting like all of Microsoft OS. In fact, I'll probably never use most of the apps that are on Windows.

But, back to the computer itself, it has good speed, keyboard with numbers on the right is nice. Do wish it had a lit keyboard, only the cap lock lights. The touch PAD is fast. It does not have a Touch Screen which I don't care about. It does have a feature called gestures but this is not a touch screen. The keyboard has a nice feel.

As far as some people having problems with Dell, I feel it's like any thing else, computer companies, cars etc, they can have lemons.

I do wish that McAfee was preinstaled and forget about PC Treasures, worthless. I did have problems with Premium Suppot as well as a waiting time of over 50 minutes. I don't belive this software pkg is worth QVC pricing.

So excluding the software, I like my Dell. Of cause too, QVC does give the customer the easy pay without any interest. I'm in my 70's so I hope this helps you.

Not applicable

Thought it was great when I got it. Then It started to freeze up. I cant get used to its clunky trackpad buttons. Regret buying it. Returned it.
Super Contributor

Thank goodness I did not buy this product. I wanted the pink one.
New Contributor

I too ordered. A Dell 17"" laptop directly from the Dell on line site. Got a great deal-great computer-and free 2day air shipping! I also could have gotten 6 months no interest payment if I wanted it!!! -also got 1 year support free!
Not applicable

I ordered this Dell, and got the 17 inch, without MSOffice, as I already had the Office Suite Professional version 7. I'm a power user. Not a computer programmer, but I use my PC a LOT, doing a lot of different things....scanning, photo-shopping, writing, photo, phoning, and I have at least 40 programs on my current Toshiba.

I got the Dell because it was promoted as Quad-core, AMD, and had 1TB of memory, and 8 Gigs of RAM. That "SOUNDS" good. The problem is the processor. AMD is a good brand and I've always preferred them to Intel. However, these are OLD chips, slow chips at only 1.7 MHZ. They must have gotten a deal and were dumping them into this unit. My 18 month old Toshiba has 2.5 MHz. These Chips are equivalent to the I-3 from Intel, and I believe Intel has gone from I-3, to I-5 last year, and now is selling I-7s. Old slow chips in any machine don't work well.

To explain in better terms... Consider my Toshiba a Ford Mustang. A gamer PC would be Ford Shelby Mustang. The DELL is equivalent to 2 Fortwos. You might have more of them...but they just can't go very fast. They just don't cut it.

I tried to work on a photograph and the machine locked up when I opened the software they provided. Nothing else was running. I restored it to start up condition, and returned it.

These PCs are only good as boat anchors.{#emotions_dlg.thumbdown}