Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Deleting Parental Control on remote

Yesterday I no longer was able to access Closed Captioning on my TV. Tried the handy closed caption buttons on the remotes. Did not work. Tried going to settings on remote. Did not work. In fact closed captioning disappeared from the choices in settings. I was all over the place trying to find closed captioning.

Finally I tried the old but true solution. I unplugged the FIOS unit. Plugged it back in. And there was closed captioning.

Then I discovered I can no longer get some TV stations because of Parental Control. According to the remote, I can remove the stations from Parental Control but I need a Pin number. I don't have one. I never set one up because I did not need it. Tried unplugging the FIOS unit. Still have Parental Controls on some stations.

I went to the FIOS website. It said you are able to reset your pin. But I need a username and password. We got FIOS when it first came out many years ago. I am not sure if I have a username or password. I checked my numerous books of usernames and passwords and could not find it.  FIOS seems to be good trying to protect me from myself.

Any suggestions how an old woman can remove Parental Controls from her TV?

Trusted Contributor

Re: Deleting Parental Control on remote

Did you try to set up a new pin in the settings?  

If it's saying you already have a pin try 0000 (zeros) - that's usually the default on pin numbers programmed into devices.

I don't have FIOS, in fact, I've never heard of it. Woman Surprised When I googled it, it says it's only available in 9 states.  Hopefully someone who also uses it can hop on here and give you better advice.  Maybe call Verizon?

Honored Contributor

@drizzellla  If you still have your FIOS user manuals I believe the default code is in there.  From what I can remember it's either 111 or 1111

OR

000 or 0000

I never set up a password or user name either.  If they are asking for a user name, it's the name you used to set up your online Verizon account if you have one.

------------------------------------------------------

IF neither of the above works, suggest that you do the following:

# 1  Go to FIOS forums & copy/past your post there.  Either a FIOS mod or forum user will help you.

#2  CALL Verizon

#3  If there are Verizon stores (ones where you can return equipment, get cables, etc.) in your neighborhood go there in person.  They will help you sort it out.

#4 - Whatever instructions they give you, write it all down in case the issue happens again.  Keep it w/your Verizon FIOS paperwork/user manuals.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

We need closed caption,but some of the DVDs we get from the library do not have it. Yesterday at the library one of the librarians told me all I had to do was but the disc in and it would come up. Yeah,right! A special feature was added to my library card number and supposedly I will be able to tell if CC is on that disc.

We are not able to stream.

When I lose the TV controller, it's always in some remote destination.
Esteemed Contributor

Why would closed captions be controlled?  Just seems odd.

Good luck solving this.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Thank you,  @MezzieStarr  and @Mz iMac  

I went back and tried to unlock the TV stations. AND this time I was given the option to reset my pin number. I was never given that option before. Verizon sent me a one time pin to unlock the TV stations.

Thanks again everyone.

Honored Contributor

@drizzella  Yay! What a relief, huh?

Honored Contributor

I thought CC would fall under Americans w/disability.

When I lose the TV controller, it's always in some remote destination.
Esteemed Contributor

@Still Raining wrote:

"Why would closed captions be controlled?  Just seems odd."

@Still Raining 

All of our TV sets and Satellite Receivers have had CC on them for many years. I am sure you know why they added that option years ago, not sure if it's a law or not.

Like all the many options on TV sets and other types of video receivers and recorders, there are a lot of "manual options", which are/can be controlled  by the user. 

All the TV sets I have bought are set up out of the box with the CC Option in the Off setting. Thus one needs a manual setting(control)to turn it On.

There are many times I turn it on because the vocals on some shows are inaudible to me and my wife, just mumbling on some shows. With the CC we are able to read the vocals.

That is why CC need controls.

hckynut  🇺🇸

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

@drizzellla  You're welcome & ThankYou-smiley.giffor providing an update.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif