Honored Contributor

Dangerous Android App Pretends to Be a System Update to Steal Your Data

[ Edited ]

Put this 🔼into your search bar to go to one of the many articles from legitimate sources that are describing what's going on with this malware. This article is from Gizmodo.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Dangerous Android App Pretends to Be a System Update to Steal Your Data

@Mindy D wrote:

Put this 🔼into your search bar to go to one of the many articles from legitimate sources that are describing what's going on with this malware. This article is from Gizmodo.

@Mindy D

System updates are sent direct from a smartphone maker or wireless company like AT&T, T-Mobile or Verizon to a device.

I installed a security patch yesterday. The phone told me I had a system update and would I like to install it now or later. When I updated the patch the phone told me, it was successful. 

There is never a app involved in an system update. There should not be a concern getting malware in this way.

A dangerous situation, however, is using a smartphone without monthly or quarterly patches. You may have your identity hacked. 

A smartphone needs basic security software. All three major companies give customers software with service. Please check your carrier. 

Most security programs purchased to use on a Windows computer may support multiple devices including apps for a phone or a tablet. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Nuttmeg wrote:

@Mindy D wrote:

@Mindy D

System updates are sent direct from a smartphone maker or wireless company like AT&T, T-Mobile or Verizon to a device.

I installed a security patch yesterday. The phone told me I had a system update and would I like to install it now or later. When I updated the patch the phone told me, it was successful. 

There is never a app involved in an system update. There should not be a concern getting malware in this way.

A dangerous situation, however, is using a smartphone without monthly or quarterly patches. You may have your identity hacked. 

A smartphone needs basic security software. All three major companies give customers software with service. Please check your carrier. 

Most security programs purchased to use on a Windows computer may support multiple devices including apps for a phone or a tablet. 

@Nuttmeg This masquerades as a system update. I'm just alerting Forum members to be aware of this.

5A99227E-56B5-4328-AE4D-4849F9ABA1A6.jpeg

"Security researchers say a powerful new Android malware masquerading as a critical system update can take complete control of a victim’s device and steal their data.

The malware was found bundled in an app called “System Update” that had to be installed outside of Google Play, the app store for Android devices. Once installed by the user, the app hides and stealthily exfiltrates data from the victim’s device to the operator’s servers.

Researchers at mobile security firm Zimperium, which discovered the malicious app, said once the victim installs the malicious app, the malware communicates with the operator’s Firebase server, used to remotely control the device.

The spyware can steal messages, contacts, device details, browser bookmarks and search history, record calls and ambient sound from the microphone, and take photos using the phone’s cameras. The malware also tracks the victim’s location, searches for document files and grabs copied data from the device’s clipboard." Quoted from TechCrunch online

Respected Contributor

Thanks for this, @Mindy D .  But as @Nuttmeg pointed out, any update alert that tells you to install an app is suspicious. The screenshot you posted instructs the user to "Complete setup by installing apps."  That's a dead giveaway, and should be emphasized.