Honored Contributor

Re: DO AD BLOCKERS ACTUALLY WORK?

I use the free AdBlock Plus.  Works great for me.  I don't get the ads in the upper right corner of Facebook, but I don't know if that's the ad blocker or Social Fixer which I use to customize my FB experience.  At one point, I had everything on the right side hidden.  Facebook changes stuff all the time.  An ad blocker will not get rid of the Sponsored ads that show up in your feed though.  

There are some sites that detect that you have an ad blocker and some nag you to allow ads on their site every time you go there and some won't allow you to use their site without disabling it for their site.  The ones I've run across that insist that you allow ads are mostly news sites.

Respected Contributor

@Tinkrbl44  I'm not sure what we pay for it, we buy it for everyone in the company, it comes through our IT vendor along with Office, our email system, etc.... It covers all our computers, phones, etc.

Lynn-Critter Lover!
(especially cats!)
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Ad blockers are actually bad for business where ads increase revenue for businesses. Using ad blockers can diminish profits and sometimes cause higher prices.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@SilleeMee wrote:

Ad blockers are actually bad for business where ads increase revenue for businesses. Using ad blockers can diminish profits and sometimes cause higher prices.

@SilleeMee 

This is just me, personally. If I am annoyed by advertisements when reading an article, or just browsing. When popups interfere with my reading, or looking? They would be the last place I would look to purchase whatever they are selling.

hckynut 🇺🇸

hckynut(john)
Trusted Contributor

I use the free ad block and never see an ad. I love it!

It doesn't slow my computer down but that might be dependent of how much RAM you have. If you have enough it doesn't glitch at all.

The places that have a wall up asking to disable your ad block I just move along. Whatever I am interested in reading I can find somewhere else.

Asking you to disable is usually because they mine all your info and sell it. No thanks. Some that request disable sometimes have a tiny, tiny option in some corner or at the bottom that says "no thanks" and you click that and it lets you read. It's mostly the newspapers that have a wall up.

Honored Contributor

Absolutely they work. I also use Adblock Plus and have for many years.  I've used a few over the years and some slow down your operating system and some don't. Also depending on your skill level you can customize the settings. I never even knew YouTube had commercials till my husband installed YouTube on his phone. I don't have pop ups or ads on the side of the screen.

Trusted Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

I think they make my PC slow. I don't use one b/c of that. I'm using Chrome as my browser.

I've had that happen at times because they can use up a lot of memory on our computers.

I switched to one called AdGuard. 

You can tweak the settings with any of the adblockers as to whether or not you want to allow some ads, etc.

Trusted Contributor

@Kachina624 @Depending which one you use, the GUI will show how many ads were blocked from the site you are on. For instance it will read that it blocked 12 ads from NYTimes.com.