Honored Contributor

One time earlier this year a friend called and said he was cancelling and they did not offer a discount. They said OK and said they would proceed to cancel LOL!! He didnt though.

Faith is the strength by which a shattered world shall emerge into the light. —Helen Keller
Trusted Contributor

Re: Cutting the Cable Cord

[ Edited ]

@CherryHugs 

Same thing here...I called and said I was ready to drop it and they were just fine with it...no offer of anything (same thing happened with the land line through another company).  When you can only have one cable provider in an area they know they have you stuck. Why isn't exclusivity for cable companies considered a monopoly?  

Snarky responders need not reply. Move along and share your views elsewhere.
Respected Contributor

We kept internet but switched to unlimited. Bought a roku which has a lot of channel selections. Pluto tv is thru them and it is free old movies. We also signed up for Netflix but I'm not sure about them. It's $15 month but lots of selection. DH picked up a really good indoor antenna at Goodwill which we use for local stations.

https://www.cordcuttersnews.com/ 

Honored Contributor

@Havarti   funny how that happens! some i have heard of did call and get a discount! not sure why they do and some dont!!!

when it was time warner they had promotions and this company does not. we are in a small town and might look at other options for cable and internet but i always wonder if they have a deal for a year then costs go up!!

SPECTRUM IS SOOO GREEDY!

Faith is the strength by which a shattered world shall emerge into the light. —Helen Keller
Esteemed Contributor

@Annabellethecat66 :  For those of us who live in remote areas: any antenna doesn't work!

Honored Contributor

@patbz Were I live used to be remote.  Then to get money they started buiding houses (huge houses) everywhere, big developments.

I live off of a 2 line (one each way) country road and as many as 100 or more cars go down it every time the light changes to green.  This road curves like crazy.  My youngest daughter at the age of 16 flipped the car (I was right behind her).  When I came upon her the car was still spinning wheels and she was standing next to it.  All she did was over-correct.

My point?  What used to be remote in this area is no longer remote.  Doesn't take long for it to get crazy.

But even then we could still have an antenna.  

Regular Contributor

Just in the past few days I have dropped DirecTV.I have been with them for 25 yrs.I have Roku & I added HULU with my local channels & most of the same channels that I liked on DirecTV.I cut my bill from 85.00 down to 43.00. So now I'm trying to learn how to find the channels I want.Here in my area I don't even have a cable company available.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

depends where u live.

I have never had cable.

I went from dial up to wireless via a hot spot when they first came out approx. 20 yrs ago.

Verizon jetpack.  Unlimited internet as I am grandfathered due to 20+ yrs.  7 things can be used at a time.  Phone, tablet, tv, laptop, etc.  This is mobile and i take it everywhere.  works in all my house locations.   $80 month

Amazon prime.  Movies and such.  $12 month

Tv with roku catches my amazon prime and more.  Movies and such. Included with tv.

Digital antenna. Local and free sations.  Mohu Leaf HDTV Antenna $33 one time purchase.   i have several of these.  i get less stations at the mountain house.  but many stations in the other houses.

~~who/what is responsible for your joy? YOU!~~
Esteemed Contributor

I cut the cord about two years ago and can honestly say that I do not miss Direct TV  at all. My brother had been telling me to give it a try for years, but I was just to stubborn. He was right.

I stream all of my entertainment. and  pay for WI-FI.  In my living room I have a ROKU TV that was advertised for cord cutters and streaming. It's 55" TV that I purchase from Costco.  In my Bedroom I have a regular TV that I use with my fire stick   I have Netflix, Prime,, and Sling. All of these channels can be seen on both television screens. 

I am debating getting rid of Sling and switching over to HULU.  

It's really easy.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@jlkz wrote:

Help needed here too....my DH is just hooking up our new TV that says “ ROKU TV “ on the box  !!!

Oh dear !  He just handed me the remote:  there are no NUMBERS on it...this may have to be returned today !

@jlkz 

That sounds like the TV that I have that I purchased through Costco. Just go through the set up instructions, and then utilize the search feature and start downloading any APPS that you may already pay for (Net-Flix) and free one's that are available (QVC/HSN). Once you get them set up you click on the APP that you wish to view and watch TV.