Honored Contributor

How do you go about doing this? 

What can you replace cable with? And what do you do about your wifi and internet?

Needing to do something! Spectrum just raised costs again!! It is becoming so expensive each time.

Thank you!!

Faith is the strength by which a shattered world shall emerge into the light. —Helen Keller
Super Contributor

I NEED HELP TOO!

We pay 165.00 a month with no premium channels and we maybe watch 6.

Thanks in advance for the advice.

Respected Contributor

Re: Cutting the Cable Cord

[ Edited ]

Help needed here too....my DH is just hooking up our new TV that says “ ROKU TV “ on the box  !!!

Oh dear !  He just handed me the remote:  there are no NUMBERS on it...this may have to be returned today !

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Trusted Contributor

We need help, too!  We pay $180/mo for basic cable (no box - no fancy pay channels) and basic internet - both from the cable company.  I attended a community ed class on how to cut the cable cord and the instructor said.....don't do it - keep your cable.  The class was really more about the very many options to subscribe to for more & more channels.  We want to cut the cord...but, we live in a wooded area so DIrect TV and antennas are not workable options to receive good reception.  I'll be anxious to see if there is a good, easy answer.  Fingers crossed!

Snarky responders need not reply. Move along and share your views elsewhere.
Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

I was paying $186 a month for the Triple Play through Comcast (Phone, Internet and Cable).  In October they wanted to raise it to over $200.  I asked about discontinuing the phone service and that would have raised it even more.  I had them discontinue cable and phone and to continue just the wi-fi.  I now pay $90 per month (no taxes or fees on wi-fi only.)  

You will need wi-fi if you are streaming.  I have Amazon Prime, Netflix and Hulu and don't miss cable at all.  My "regular" shows I catch on Hulu the next day.  Hulu also offers "Hulu Live for $49.00 per month.  I wish I had done it years ago.

ETA:  I also have the Amazon Fire Stick.

Honored Contributor

I have no idea.  I will never do that.  I enjoy watching TV and love having background noise.

I live in a big house and have cable in the bedroom and down the other end of the house in the TV room.

I'm posting here because my oldest daughter and her family don't watch TV.

They are a family of 3 teenagers.  Most teens do not watch TV much anymore.  They mostly watch their phones (that's what these people are on 24/7).

My middle daughter's children watch everything on their phones.  She watches TV shows on her phones.

I could never do that.  You might look into that.

I have friends who have antennas.  Yes, good old antennas.  I used to have one when my husband was alive.

We and this friend have motors on them.  You can turn them if the signal is off and it will be better reception.

I realize it is more difficult if you are in an apartment.  It's just another alternative to think about.

No cable cost and they are really good these days.

As for me.   I have two entirely separate cable boxes.  But my friend just found out that her lowest BASIC cable is a few pennies cheaper than my 2 separate boxes.

I think it only saves if you go totally cable(less).  But that's just a guess as everyone I know pays different amounts.

Honored Contributor

@wingnut 

How do you watch local stations, i.e., news?

Time is just a drop in the bucket compared to eternity. It isn’t how long you live that matters; it is how well you are prepared to die. ~~Colonel Robert B. Thieme, Jr.
Super Contributor

Hulu Live provides the local channels.  If I want to see the local news I watch it on my phone.

I know they tell you that you will get Fox News and local channels with the Fire Stick, which is true, but it's not the entire show.  They will show just snippets of different shows throughout the day.  Roku may provide local over the air channels but I think you would need an antenna for that.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Tried an indoor antenna on second TV and got a few channels but not much. They did not come in clear and all and would freeze up and be distorted! Returned that antenna, it does have good reviews though on the walmart site.

Faith is the strength by which a shattered world shall emerge into the light. —Helen Keller
Super Contributor
We have had the same issues with costs. Here's what's worked for us: DH calls the provider and tells them we want to cancel. Provider then offers to reduce the price of service to save the account. This has worked more than once. We have also switched providers and found that as a "new" subscriber you get a reduced rate for the service. When the reduced rate ends (typically after a year) it's time to call and threatened to quit. See if they offer to continue the reduced rate. If not, go to another provider. If it sounds like a game, it is but it can save you $$.