Honored Contributor

Love my Dish Network...won't give it up!

preds 06-21-20
"Always be thankful andyou'll have more than you know."
Valued Contributor

For those to cut the cord, what do you do about sports?

Honored Contributor

@traveler wrote:

DirectTv is also available through streaming.

@traveler.  It's called Direct TV Now, and I did a 30 day trial on it.  I found it very unsatisfactory.   It's  tedious trying to find a channel you want to watch.  Twice when I settled in and really wanted to watch something, I got a msg that it wasn't available (wouldn't  stream).  That did it, I cancelled.  I think they need to improve the technology before they sell this service.  I have no trouble with Netflix streaming.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

Re: Cord cutters

[ Edited ]

@LilLadyNJ wrote:

You watch over the air broadcasts, subscribe to a streaming network like MLB or do without. 

Esteemed Contributor

@glb613 wrote:

@LilLadyNJ wrote:

You watch over the air broadcasts, suscribe to a streaming network like MLB or do without. 

Agreed.  I you are a sports fan, be prepared to subscribe.  LM

Honored Contributor

At some point and time in the not too distant future there will be online cable companies where you can pick exactly which individual channels you want to watch and you can opt to pay for each channel by a single monthly fee (if you watch that channel a lot) or a by the minute fee (if you only watch it occasionally.) 

All of us pay for stuff we never watch now. I pay for 125 channels and watch about ten. A system where I could pay for just what I wanted when I want it is far better for me. It also lets advertisers more specifically target buyers.which is largely why television even exists. There are maybe three additional channels I'd like to add, but doing so would cost me more than $30 a month more for the package that includes them so I don't buy them. That costs those advertising on those channels my views. Could I just buy those channels individiually at a fair price, I would, but I can't.

The technology exists now to make this happen. With cable TV as it is now, it's like going into a supermarket to get a loaf of bread, but being given a list of ten other things you have to buy before they'll let you buy the bread. You may not want any of those ten other things, but they make you buy it to get the bread. Cable TV is the least consumer friendly business model on the planet. It's time for the model to be changed.I'm generally against government intervention, but the free market has no power when cable companies own many of the chanels they force us to buy.  

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Trusted Contributor

We cut Spectrum cable and we've been on antenna for about a year.  We get all network channels as well as quite a few others like ION, Laff, Antenna, MOVIES!, ThisTV, PBS.  A lot of old sitcoms, movies.  Don't miss a thing.  We don't stream either although I just subscribed to Showtime for about 4 months in order to watch Season 4 of Billions but I'll drop that subscription because the other shows and movies I watched on Showtime were all key-rap.  Not worth it.

Wear a mask. Social distance. Be part of the solution - not part of the problem.
Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@traveler wrote:

DirectTv is also available through streaming.

@traveler.  It's called Direct TV Now, and I did a 30 day trial on it.  I found it very unsatisfactory.   It's  tedious trying to find a channel you want to watch.  Twice when I settled in and really wanted to watch something, I got a msg that it wasn't available (wouldn't  stream).  That did it, I cancelled.  I think they need to improve the technology before they sell this service.  I have no trouble with Netflix streaming.

The quality of the picture you get with streaming is not as good as with satellite. I did not buy my big TV to have an inferior picture and I want to see the best picture available and that's why I'm staying with regular Directv....no streaming for me.

Honored Contributor

@gardenman 

Verizon FIOS has a la carte option as well as "customized" package options.

Comcast use to have "a la carte."  Same was never advertised, you had to request it.  I believe now it's limited.  I say this because my mother who has Comcast had a package that was missing 2 sports stations she wanted but was not included in her package.  She asked for those 2 sport stations to be included in her package & she got them!

We live in Comcast (family owned) & Verizon FIOS country-where the home offices are located.  I strongly believe depending in which part of the country you live in determines the type of package(s) you are offered.  The closer to the home office you are the better the package deals.  At least that is the way w/the 2 major cable companies.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Respected Contributor

Found livenewsnow.com online for many news channels