Esteemed Contributor

I was told I had to get a new "stack"  for my PC.  My computer has slowed down and I was told to go to Best Buy or Staples and get it replaced and pay to have all my programs transfered.  Ok here is the questioin or questions.  I am confused. Do I take in my old computer with the cords?  I am not intending to replace my keyboard, or should I ?  Do I buy a totally new PC or just replace the hard drive.  

In other words what is the best way to replace an old computer?  Buy it totally new and have the information transfered or just replace the hard drive and the stack part.  Not sure they are the same thing.  Help

Valued Contributor

@bonnieluThat would depend on what whoever did the work was going to charge you. If the computer is old, more than 5 years, then you are probably better off with a new computer. The cost of computers has gone down so much that repairing then just isn't cost effective.

Now, here's the other part. The programs you use on your computer. Do you have the disks, or were they downloaded? If you have the disks, provided they are compatible with the new operating system, you can just load them into the new computer. If you have Windows XP now, and replace the computer, you will get Windows 10. Windows XP programs do not transfer over.

Also, if you go from XP to 10 your printer may not work with the new computer.

If they were dowloads, you may be able to get them from whoever you bought them from, or maybe not. That gets touchy. 

Whatever you do, back-up any data you have on that computer BEFORE you take it in for repair. Photos, letter, etc. if the hard drive is replaced, you will lose them. Get a flash drive and move all of your photos to it. It's not hard to do, but it takes time.

When you bring in your computer, you don't need to bring in the cords, the keyboard, the mouse, or the monitor. Just the tower goes in to the shop unless there is a problem with any of the other parts.

A lot of things to think about, I know, but you need to know these things before you decide which way to go.

I doubt you are working with XP, but it's an example of the problems you can find.

Respected Contributor

I recently replaced my old computer that was running Vista.  I had a computer tech build me a new computer for less money than it cost at Best Buy.  He copied all the files on my old computer and transfered them to the new computer.  Look around and see if you can find someone to do that.  Computers are not that difficult for savvy people.  My grandkids have built their own gaming computers. 

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Computer help

[ Edited ]

@bonnielu

I have purchased Dell computers for 27 years. I buy Dell XPS desktops. The reason, they run well. This brand comes with a one  warranty.

You should be able to find a basic I5-9400 desktop for a fair price. The sales department can help you select a monitor to match the graphics card. I buy a monitor that includes a three year warranty.

A great buy on the website is an Alienware Aurora box for $800. This computer comes with a DVD drive, and a nice 6 GB graphics card. This GPU can even run a 27 " monitor. 

Dell is currently running a sale. 

You can find YouTube videos on how transfer data to a new computer. Programs need to be installed. 

Honored Contributor

I'm pretty sure a 'stack' is the same thing as a tower. If the tower is old, 5-years or more, then you might want to consider buying an entirely new system. The old components, for example the keyboard and printer, might not be compatible with a new tower if that's the thing you are going to replace. Best to purchase all of the components together and that way everything will work seamlessly together. 

After you get a new PC then you can transfer your files from your old PC. There are different ways you can do this and one way is to use your backup device.

Trusted Contributor

Don’t know if this will help, but few weeks ago I bought new HP tower running Windows 10 to replace 8 year old Dell tower running Windows 7. Did this only because Microsoft is ending support for Windows 7 in January. Purchased at Best Buy, and tech came to home to install since I am non tech. Everything transferred to new tower, programs, photos, favorites etc., and he gave me my old hard drive from Dell tower to save as a backup. Tower was only thing I purchased, for about $400. My old accessories are compatible with new tower and work just fine. I’m using a Dell keyboard/mouse from 2012. My monitor is an old Dell 17” from 2004, and my printer is an old HP 1000 inkjet from 2004, both compatible with no issues.  My biggest hurdle is adjusting to Windows 10. 

Esteemed Contributor

1.2 WHAT IS A STACK? LIFO stacks, also known as "push down" stacks, are the conceptually simplest way of saving information in a temporary storage location for such common computer operations as mathematical expression evaluation and recursive subroutine calling.