Respected Contributor

Coffee and a Macbook

[ Edited ]

Well, I started the day off with a bang. I knocked over a big mug of coffee all over the kitchen table that held my MacBook. It died. I have it sitting in a sheet pan filled with rice. If that doesn't help, I guess I know where my stimulus check will go.

'I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man'.......Unknown
Respected Contributor

Oh NO!  I hope you can recover it. Good luck. 

Honored Contributor

That's upsetting, I'm sure.  I've had a few close calls myself.  With a laptop, Dot, and oftentimes a cell phone on the desk, I've learned to keep liquids far away.

Once a glass of water spilled and some ran under the Amazon Dot.  I thought it was ruined.  Alexa still responded but her voice had changed; after a day or two, she returned to normal. 

Honored Contributor

Bummer!

I feel your pain, the same thing happened to me with my last laptop but it couldn't be saved.

It doesn't help that I put sugar and milk in my coffee....sniff!

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

@reiki604 Sadly I can tell you that Macbook Airs are VERY lactose intolerant.  Woman Frustrated

Good luck. 

Esteemed Contributor

That stinks!  Fingers crossed it will turn on again. 

Honored Contributor

@ValuSkr wrote:

That's upsetting, I'm sure.  I've had a few close calls myself.  With a laptop, Dot, and oftentimes a cell phone on the desk, I've learned to keep liquids far away.

Once a glass of water spilled and some ran under the Amazon Dot.  I thought it was ruined.  Alexa still responded but her voice had changed; after a day or two, she returned to normal. 

Her voice changed?....that gave me a laugh! Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@haddon9 wrote:

@ValuSkr wrote:

Her voice changed?....that gave me a laugh! Smiley Happy

@haddon9  Yes, it was garbled.  It sounded like she was underwater - seriously!

Respected Contributor

Thank you all for all the sympathy. It turned on for about 10 minutes and then turned off again. I put it back under the rice and I'm going to wait overnight. Fingers crossed!

'I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man'.......Unknown
Respected Contributor

@reiki604 wrote:

Thank you all for all the sympathy. It turned on for about 10 minutes and then turned off again. I put it back under the rice and I'm going to wait overnight. Fingers crossed!

Don't get your hopes up.  Liquids and electronics are a deadly combination.  I wouldn't be surprised to find the motherboard has shorted out.