Highlighted
Valued Contributor

Changing an ATT phone to Tracfone?

I find that I really don't need an expensive plan to use my Samsung Galaxy 7 phone. I rarely call anyone or receive calls and current reception at home is lousy. I'm wasting money! Has anyone had a carrier-dedicated phone changed to Tracfone? How did you do it? I would also need to switch to Verizon's towers. Thanks!

Honored Contributor

Re: Changing an ATT phone to Tracfone?

You have to purchase an actual Tracfone phone, can't use your currant phone. You can get a Tracfone  Samsung Galaxy phone - I have one. It comes with 1500min of talk, 1500 texts and 1500 GB of data , which is way more than enough for me for a year. Also 1 year of service. All for about $130. No further costs thru the year. I highly recommend Tracfone for those who are retired and no longer need their phone for work. 

BTW - if you would use up any of your min or data , you could purchase more right thru the app on the phone for a minimal charge, but doubtful you'd use them up.

Respected Contributor

I agree with 151949, I used to have service thru Sprint. I bought a Tracfone and they switched everything over for me. It was very easy, took about ten minutes and I’ve never regretted my decision. 

Super Contributor

I have a 3 year old Tracfone that I love. I  am retired and do not use my phone for anything morre than to make and receive calls and to make and receive text messages. I have a small family and am not a slave to my phone. I pay $99.00 a YEAR for my service which I refill at Target.

When I want to go on line, I use the computer. This phone is perfect for my needs.

Super Contributor

I have an iPhone 6 that had service through ATT.  When I retired I found I didn’t need/want the big expensive package, so I went online to Tracfone and found that I could order a SIM card from them and they would port my number over.  

Changing the SIM card is easy and the service through Tracfone is just what I need.  If I remember correctly, you enter the type of phone you have in order to get the correct SIM.  Cost of the SIM card was $1.00.

Hope this helps!

Honored Contributor

I bought a Tracfone from QVC a year ago before Christmas.  Neither Verizon nor Walmart would help me with ANYTHING since I didn't buy the phone from them. 

Honored Contributor

My DH and I transferred to Tracfone before we retired. We bought the phone when the minutes tripled for life of phone. So far we have found two areas where we don't get coverage so be sure your area is covered. We transferred from ATT after many years and so glad we did.

Honored Contributor

@depglass wrote:

I bought a Tracfone from QVC a year ago before Christmas.  Neither Verizon nor Walmart would help me with ANYTHING since I didn't buy the phone from them. 

@depglass,

If you still have that Tracfone, why not just renew your service with Tracfone? Not sure about buying a sim card for all phones, not purchased from Tracfone, but it's worth calling them if it's only a buck!

Now if you want a newer type Tracfone, there are very good buys on hsn, where I have bought most of mine.

hckynut

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

@depglass wrote:

What did you want verizon or Walmart to do for you? In order to buy more time or more days of service - you can do that right on your tracfone, you don't need anyone else to do it for you. You buy it through the app that gives you the info on how many days and how many min you have left.

Valued Contributor

@Deb665 wrote:

I have an iPhone 6 that had service through ATT.  When I retired I found I didn’t need/want the big expensive package, so I went online to Tracfone and found that I could order a SIM card from them and they would port my number over.  

Changing the SIM card is easy and the service through Tracfone is just what I need.  If I remember correctly, you enter the type of phone you have in order to get the correct SIM.  Cost of the SIM card was $1.00.

Hope this helps!

This is my situation. I have had a Tracfone for years and then I decided I needed a true smartphone thru ATT. Now, I realize I don't need a $100 a month bill. I'll have to call Tracfone, because I don't know if an ATT phone can get a new sim card for Verizon. Verizon has the towers that my previous Tracfones used in my area, not ATT. It's kind of confusing.