Honored Contributor

Change in iPad battery life since latest OS updates. Anybody else noticing this?

[ Edited ]

Since my late OS updates I'm noticing that I need to charge my iPad in less time. I'm currently on OS 14,2 and this update is the one that correlates with the battery drain. The battery drains faster than before the update, in about 5 hours of continuous use. I am on an IPad Pro 10.5" 2018 model bought in its most recent iteration. I have disabled all Background App Refresh on my apps  in Settings and I am using the screen with lowered brightness. I might delete my news apps but I'm not sure. 

UPDATED information. I just finished providing feedback to Apple about this issue. If you are experiencing issues, let them know. 😁

Honored Contributor

Re: Change in iPad battery life since latest OS updates. Anybody else noticing this?

@Mindy D   I never thought about it, but now since you mentioned it, I have to agree with you. Anyhow, I am not a happy camper.

I either need a new iPad or perhaps another brand of tablet before too long.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Change in iPad battery life since latest OS updates. Anybody else noticing this?

I have the IPad 2017 model & the iPhone 7. I haven't done the last few updates on either one.I've heard that some people have had issues, one of which is battery drain.An update caused a friend of mine a lot of problems. My son said he never does the updates & his phone works fine.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Honored Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

@Mindy D   I never thought about it, but now since you mentioned it, I have to agree with you. Anyhow, I am not a happy camper.

I either need a new iPad or perhaps another brand of tablet before too long.

@Carmie @My iPad is only two years old. I wouldn't never buy another brand of tablet. I love my iPad. 

Honored Contributor

@NicksmomESQ wrote:

I have the IPad 2017 model & the iPhone 7. I haven't done the last few updates on either one.I've heard that some people have had issues, one of which is battery drain.An update caused a friend of mine a lot of problems. My son said he never does the updates & his phone works fine.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

@NicksmomESQ @I usually avoid every update until I read what other owners and tech websites are saying about the updates. 

Respected Contributor

Weird. I just asked my husband about his ipad.  Mine is a mini and is probably 5 years old.  It takes forever to charge now and only about 4 to 5 hours of battery time, maybe.  I never thought it was related to the updates. Im running 14.3.  I just thought it was getting old and time for a new one. I also stopped all my refreshes and have turned off most of my notifications also.

Honored Contributor

@meem120 wrote:

Weird. I just asked my husband about his ipad.  Mine is a mini and is probably 5 years old.  It takes forever to charge now and only about 4 to 5 hours of battery time, maybe.  I never thought it was related to the updates. Im running 14.3.  I just thought it was getting old and time for a new one. I also stopped all my refreshes and have turned off most of my notifications also.

@meem120 @Your battery function is probably due to the age and model of your mini, not just 14.3. I have a mini like yours, five or six years old, but I'm not using it and haven't updated it in years. As a general rule updates of older models  don't do well with newer updates. My Pro was from late October 2018, two weeks before launch of IPad Pro 11" in November of 2018. 

Honored Contributor

@Mindy D   I have a Mini.  I bought it right after this model was released in March 2019, so mine is less than two years old.  I have to have it plugged in to use it.  The battery will not hold a charge.  It goes from 100% to 10% in about 30 minutes.

The Ipad I had before this one lasted quite a few years, when the battery showed signs of stress, I replaced it.  It still works and the newer battery is still good.

I love my iPad but I don't like the way Apple does business.  It should be illegal for them to send updates that will cause their electronics to wear out and need replaced sooner than normal.

I was checking out different tablets at Costco earlier today.  They are way less expensive, but I need to do more research before I commit.  I am not someone who replaces my electronics with the newest and greatest when my old stuff still works.

Honored Contributor

We update pretty often--when really significant upgrades are made.  We've found that when we do, we get some trade in value, don't have as many issues going forward, and get warranty too.

As electronics get more complex, they demand more speed, storage and memory.  It's been a fact of life with technology.  It isn't like a clock or old-time watch.  It is a function of the more complex software.  

So I don't know what to do except fight with it,  up upgrade occasionally, or simply pitch one out every few years.

And buy fewer shoes. . . Woman Frustrated

Esteemed Contributor

My phone bravely ventured into 14.3 this morning.

There have been threads on this issue and the consensus seems to be that phones are even more affected.