Respected Contributor

Re: Cell Phones, Cell Towers and Area Codes

The number has no impact. The signal from the local tower is the key. ( as per DH who is an expert )

Honored Contributor

I don't think your area code has anything to do with your service.   I doubt that part of your phone even knows your area code.   It's programmed to ping off the closest available tower. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

https://consumerist.com/2012/10/08/we-switched-to-verizon-for-better-coverage-just-got-dropped-calls...

I wanted to tell you about a Verizon nightmare my roommate and I have been living with for the past two weeks.

2 weeks ago, we both cancelled our AT&T contracts in favor of a new iPhone 5 on big red. We were thrilled to be leaving AT&T after 5 years of dropped calls, lousy coverage and no service at events like Coachella music festival, where Verizon had no issues. Even though we’d be losing our grandfathered unlimited data plans in exchange for 4gb plans, we didn’t care. We wanted coverage and reliability.

We ordered our iPhones on Verizon at midnight when the pre-order started, and received our phones the following week. Much to our dismay, Verizon service in not just our home, but the entire area around our home, was spotty (and that’s putting it lightly). In our house, our service cuts between 1-2 bars of LTE and zero bars of 3G. All calls made outside of a corner in our kitchen are dropped. While I experienced plenty of dropped calls on AT&T over the last 5 years, few, if any, have been at my home. Considering my office is downtown, my house is the only place I make calls after the work day. Not just to family, but I also field support calls for my job at home.

We reached out to Verizon on Twitter with hopes they’d offer a solution.

Unfortunately, we got the stock answer of “odd… we show your area has full coverage!” Bollocks. I spent two hours on the phone with Verizon last night, pleading my case, to no avail. While my roommate and I were getting between 2mbit down and .5 up with 5 bars of LTE service in our house, friends who had stuck with AT&T for their new iPhones were getting 30-43mbit down and 20 up in the exact same spot.

Verizon sells a repeater box, which hooks up to your network at home and extends your coverage (they claim). The customer service rep on my call yesterday had led me to believe Verizon would foot the bill for this $250 device. I mean, you’d think they would, considering I can’t even make an undropped call in our house. You’d also assume they would since AT&T is known to give out their microcell boxes to customers who experience little to no coverage in their homes or offices. Once the rep passed me on to a technician, it was all downhill from there…

I was told (with what I assume was a straight face) that despite my claims, their maps and data showed we get coverage at our home and that 2 bars was sufficient. Mind you, these calls to the tech had to be returned twice, as my phone dropped 2 of the calls while speaking with him.

Even MORE damming evidence is the phone call I received from their tech, CONFIRMING I have little to now coverage in my area, and that there’s an issue going on. I’ve attached this voicemail for reference.

So where does this leave me? Well, my roommate has since switched back to AT&T (of course they wouldn’t let him back into his unlimited data plan, but he just wants coverage). He now happily has full service at our house with incredibly fast speeds. Someone by the initials “CB” running the Verizon Twitter handle wants me to pay $250 just so I can make a phone call in my home and extend their coverage to other people in my neighborhood they’re screwing. When I contested, he offered me a $50 discount. Granted, the tech over the phone last night offered me $100 off but I refuse to pay a penny. I should mention that these boxes require an active broadband connection to the internet, so leaving it on will tax my home internet plan as well, just so other people can use Verizon on my street and in my home.

*Call Tyrone*
Honored Contributor

Thanks to everyone for your input.  I'll reiterate - everyone in the house uses Verizon. No other company gets signal at the house at all, so it's not like I can switch to another company. The other iphone in use at the house does not have my issues - it's just my phone. So yes, phones work at the house - on Verizon - just MINE doesn't. A PIT*.

I don't think Square Trade would consider this a failure they would pay for, unfortunately.

From all you all have said, it sounds like it's my phone, but who knows if it's fixable. Verizon of course will want me to buy a new phone I can't afford & don't want. They won't be interested in helping me with the phone I own. Might need to do some experimenting.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@itiswhatitis wrote:

https://consumerist.com/2012/10/08/we-switched-to-verizon-for-better-coverage-just-got-dropped-calls...

I wanted to tell you about a Verizon nightmare my roommate and I have been living with for the past two weeks.

2 weeks ago, we both cancelled our AT&T contracts in favor of a new iPhone 5 on big red. We were thrilled to be leaving AT&T after 5 years of dropped calls, lousy coverage and no service at events like Coachella music festival, where Verizon had no issues. Even though we’d be losing our grandfathered unlimited data plans in exchange for 4gb plans, we didn’t care. We wanted coverage and reliability.

We ordered our iPhones on Verizon at midnight when the pre-order started, and received our phones the following week. Much to our dismay, Verizon service in not just our home, but the entire area around our home, was spotty (and that’s putting it lightly). In our house, our service cuts between 1-2 bars of LTE and zero bars of 3G. All calls made outside of a corner in our kitchen are dropped. While I experienced plenty of dropped calls on AT&T over the last 5 years, few, if any, have been at my home. Considering my office is downtown, my house is the only place I make calls after the work day. Not just to family, but I also field support calls for my job at home.

Verizon sells a repeater box, which hooks up to your network at home and extends your coverage (they claim). The customer service rep on my call yesterday had led me to believe Verizon would foot the bill for this $250 device.

Please run this problem by the folks over at DSLReports.com. See if there is any answers.

Honored Contributor

@itiswhatitis wrote:

We reached out to Verizon on Twitter with hopes they’d offer a solution.

Unfortunately, we got the stock answer of “odd… we show your area has full coverage!” Bollocks. I spent two hours on the phone with Verizon last night, pleading my case, to no avail. While my roommate and I were getting between 2mbit down and .5 up with 5 bars of LTE service in our house, friends who had stuck with AT&T for their new iPhones were getting 30-43mbit down and 20 up in the exact same spot.

Verizon sells a repeater box, which hooks up to your network at home and extends your coverage (they claim). The customer service rep on my call yesterday had led me to believe Verizon would foot the bill for this $250 device. I mean, you’d think they would, considering I can’t even make an undropped call in our house. You’d also assume they would since AT&T is known to give out their microcell boxes to customers who experience little to no coverage in their homes or offices. Once the rep passed me on to a technician, it was all downhill from there…

I was told (with what I assume was a straight face) that despite my claims, their maps and data showed we get coverage at our home and that 2 bars was sufficient. Mind you, these calls to the tech had to be returned twice, as my phone dropped 2 of the calls while speaking with him.

Even MORE damming evidence is the phone call I received from their tech, CONFIRMING I have little to now coverage in my area, and that there’s an issue going on. I’ve attached this voicemail for reference.

So where does this leave me? Well, my roommate has since switched back to AT&T (of course they wouldn’t let him back into his unlimited data plan, but he just wants coverage). He now happily has full service at our house with incredibly fast speeds. Someone by the initials “CB” running the Verizon Twitter handle wants me to pay $250 just so I can make a phone call in my home and extend their coverage to other people in my neighborhood they’re screwing. When I contested, he offered me a $50 discount. Granted, the tech over the phone last night offered me $100 off but I refuse to pay a penny. I should mention that these boxes require an active broadband connection to the internet, so leaving it on will tax my home internet plan as well, just so other people can use Verizon on my street and in my home.

LOL Did you miss the fact that this article is from 5 years ago?

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Moonchilde wrote:

Thanks to everyone for your input.  I'll reiterate - everyone in the house uses Verizon. No other company gets signal at the house at all, so it's not like I can switch to another company. The other iphone in use at the house does not have my issues - it's just my phone. So yes, phones work at the house - on Verizon - just MINE doesn't. A PIT*.

I don't think Square Trade would consider this a failure they would pay for, unfortunately.

From all you all have said, it sounds like it's my phone, but who knows if it's fixable. Verizon of course will want me to buy a new phone I can't afford & don't want. They won't be interested in helping me with the phone I own. Might need to do some experimenting.

@Moonchilde, I hope it all works out for you.  Verizon is troublesome in certain areas (even when they are congested).  Good luck with it.  It is a pain in the you know what!

At your leisure just google to see if something hits.  I just stumbled upon this story as well:

http://gizmodo.com/the-iphone-7-is-causing-connection-hell-for-verizon-cus-1787416307

*Call Tyrone*
Esteemed Contributor

@jaxs mom, well yeah that's ok.  The problem still persists.  I dropped my Verizon Fios landline when my bundle ended.  Landline in my home (dropped calls).  

If you ever get a chance, go to the forum section and read some of the things this big company does!  

*Call Tyrone*
Esteemed Contributor

Hi @Moonchilde, Just a few thoughts.
Wonder if it reads all your calls as "roaming" now (?)

Also, urban vs rural isnt always the deciding factor.
I'm in a densely populated metropolitan area, but currently rated as having the 7th worst cell reception in the country due to geographical issue.
However, people just a mile or two away have stellar phone reception.

I had a phone using GSM technology, thru AT&T cell towers. Calls usually dropped or were sent straight to voicemail without even ringing at all.
Texts were delayed, scrambled, and just plain lost. I once got a text that had been "lost in the towers" for over 6 months!!!
However, CDMA technology works much better here.
The GSM or CDMA that worked well in your former location may not be functional in the new location.

Or the phone itself. One of my smartfones just has better reception than the other (both Samsung, diff OS).
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@itiswhatitis, I've heard of the Verizon with iPhone issue and realize they don't always play nice together. What's weird is that other iphones in the house work fine.  And my phone is a 6S - not a lot of issues compared tp a 7.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all