Honored Contributor

Re: Cell Phones, Cell Towers and Area Codes

[ Edited ]

@gardenman wrote:

Your house's construction can also interfere with reception. Some insulation is foil backed and that foil can inhibit radio reception as can aluminum siding. In those cases you really have no choice other than an outside antenna with a lead in wire running into the house. In some cases you can put an antenna in a window facing the cell tower and get better reception, but an outside antenna is better.

There is an iPhone 5S in the house that functions as it should. Once in a while (less than 1 out of 10 calls) it will drop one but other than that it works fine. I can't think of any reason that the 5S works and the 6S doesn't except that Apple changed something. Upon googling, every single phone since the 5 has had the same issue of low bars and constantly dropped calls, no matter the carrier.

I bought the phone last January, from a Verizon store 350 miles from where I live now. The phone functioned just fine where I bought it (large urban area) but where I live now there are few towers period. Too late to claim defective phone (which it probably is, bad antenna?), but too soon to pay big $$ for a different phone. Grrrr...

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

Manufacturers are constantly squeezing more and more stuff into phones and then trying to get longer and longer battery life at the same time. One way to get longer battery life is by using a lower powered transceiver. The FCC requires different devices to operate within a certain power range and my guess is Apple decided to go on the lower end of the power scale for their later phones' transceivers to improve battery life. They likely can get away with that in their more urban settings with overlapping cellular coverage, but in the more rural areas, that lower power transceiver becomes a big issue. 

That nonstop tug of war between doing more stuff with a more powerful phone, while getting longer battery life at the same time forces manufacturers into making tough decisions. "Do I stick with a lower powered CPU for better battery life, or a lower powered transceiver?" What does my customer use more? The CPU and our rivals are also coming out with a more powerful CPU. "We'll go with the lower powered transceiver then." 

The reality is there's only so much power one can cram into a phone's battery and constantly using more and more powerful CPU's with faster memory and more memory to make the phones smarter means those components need more power. If those components are getting more power then they've got to cut a corner someplace. What else uses a lot of power in the phone? The transceiver. If you can't cut the power to the CPU/memory and you can't make a more powerful battery, then that extra power the CPU needs has to come from some other component and that other component was likely the transceiver.

If you've ever built a computer from scratch, and modern smartphones are essentially a computer, you'd know that accurately sizing the power supply is important. Every component in a computer uses power and you have to account for all of those power needs in picking a power supply. In a real computer, you can get enormous power supplies that can handle any load. In a smartphone the power supply options are much more limited. Try to squeeze too much power into a battery and you end up with exploding/combusting phones like Samsung just experienced. With limited power available then you've got to pick the components that make best use of that power. Apple appears to have decided to compromise on the transceiver side instead of the CPU side. That means you get dropped calls as the power for the transceiver just isn't there to consistently reach your cell towers.

The only real workaround is to hope your provider moves a tower closer (maybe reaims an antennna more directly towards your location,) or you get a cell phone booster. As phone makers try to constanlty squeeze more and more powerful CPU's into phones that need more and more power, more and more people will experience this problem. You may have the fastest, most powerful phone around, but you just can't use it as a phone. It's a heck of a computer though.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

@gardenman, the last bit is especially true. When I originally bought the phone, I honestly used it as a phone probably 1-2% of its total use. Now, I need the phone, and it's crappy for that. The irony is, iphones have never had great battery life compared to their competitors - they barely keep their heads above water as far as battery life as it is. As it stands now, I think my next phone (whenever that comes about) will be a Pixel.

Esteemed Contributor

@Moonchilde wrote:

@itiswhatitis, I'm beginning to think that's it - that after the iPhone 5s, iPhones just don't play all that well with Verizon. It would explain why the 5S does work.

@MoonchildeI don't think that's it, because I've had an iPhone 6 for over a year and my Verizon coverage is excellent.  Sounds as if it's an issue with your individual phone.

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Honored Contributor

@shoesnbags wrote:

@Moonchilde wrote:

@itiswhatitis, I'm beginning to think that's it - that after the iPhone 5s, iPhones just don't play all that well with Verizon. It would explain why the 5S does work.

@MoonchildeI don't think that's it, because I've had an iPhone 6 for over a year and my Verizon coverage is excellent.  Sounds as if it's an issue with your individual phone.

@shoesnbags

Yes, with my phone and not with every iphone 6 and above - but with MANY iphone 6's and above, far from just mine as a fluke. Googling the issue will bring up many, many people with this issue on every carrier (though more on Verizon) so not just a freaky one-off by any stretch. It's out there, online, available to read. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Moonchilde wrote:

@shoesnbags wrote:

@Moonchilde wrote:

@shoesnbags

Yes, with my phone and not with every iphone 6 and above - but with MANY iphone 6's and above, far from just mine as a fluke. Googling the issue will bring up many, many people with this issue on every carrier (though more on Verizon) so not just a freaky one-off by any stretch. It's out there, online, available to read. 

Wow, now I feel lucky that I don't have a problem.  I even dropped it into the toilet (don't ask!) and it still works fine.  I'm so sorry for your trouble.  We went through a year of cable h*ll with our TV reception and only recently got it straightened out, so I know a little of how you must feel.  Good luck with a solution!

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett