Trusted Contributor

Can you scan with a remote printer?

I have a Windows 7 program with a remote Canon printer set as the default printer. When I go to Windows Fax and Scan, a different printer we have is listed as the routing printer for this type of job.

I don't understand this, as when I go to "Computer", "Devices and Printers", the remote printer is the only one installed. So, how can I change the printer to the remote printer for Fax and Scan and scan documents in to Word?

By the way, I am not very proficient in working my way around the computer, so if I could please have step by step directions, I would be most appreciative.

Thank you so much.

“I can do things you cannot, you can do things I cannot; together we can do great things.” St.Teresa of Calcutta
Honored Contributor

Re: Can you scan with a remote printer?

Each printer is different when it comes to wireless scanning. You will need to contact Canon's tech support for step by step directions and/or read the user manual that came w/your printer/scanner.

Good luck!

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Contributor

Does Word allow you to choose the printer you want when you start the scan? Can you hit scan directly from the printer rather than using the command on the computer? I use Adobe for scanning, and when I open the software to produce a scan, it allows me to select the printer I want to use. Just a thought!

Honored Contributor

Do you have the software downloaded to your computer to scan? I don't know how it works in Windows but I know on my mac with my canon wireless printer it has separate software for scanning.

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Regular Contributor

Do you have the CD for the Cannon printer? You usually have to install the scanning program from the CD then you can use the scanner functions on the printer. Or you can go to the Cannon website and download it. You should be able to either start the scan from the printer or start the scan from the computer.

What model do you have? Here is the support page, put in your model and get the driver to scan.

http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/support/consumer