Honored Contributor

Re: Can you have too many wireless things so connection to internet doesn't always work?

@glb613 wrote:

I agree and had the same situation.  I was updating my notebook computer's operating system and was unable to connect using my phone.  Apparently the downloading data for the update was taking all of the bandwidth.  Once the download was complete, the phone connected.

Oh - if that's what she means, then yes of course. If I'm updating my phone, my iPad pretty much comes to a standstill. Same with being in the middle of downloading an app, etc. If you don't have sufficient bandwidth to support simultaneous use, then you have to pay more $$ somehow, to someone, to upgrade.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Respected Contributor

Re: Can you have too many wireless things so connection to internet doesn't always work?

@Moonchilde wrote:

@glb613 wrote:

I agree and had the same situation.  I was updating my notebook computer's operating system and was unable to connect using my phone.  Apparently the downloading data for the update was taking all of the bandwidth.  Once the download was complete, the phone connected.

Oh - if that's what she means, then yes of course. If I'm updating my phone, my iPad pretty much comes to a standstill. Same with being in the middle of downloading an app, etc. If you don't have sufficient bandwidth to support simultaneous use, then you have to pay more $$ somehow, to someone, to upgrade.

If it was a daily problem I might consider upgrading to a more expensive plan.  Since it's only occasional, I'll wait until the download is over. 

Esteemed Contributor

@geegerbee wrote:

We had problems with losing the connection to the tv, so someone came out and put in a new modem. Then the wireless Echo, Dot, laptop and Kindle Fire only work sometimes. So the tech came back, put in another modem. Came back no fix. Called 
AT&T and they had me reset the 2.4 ghz and add 5ghz. Still same problem. A different tech came again today and he said I have too many wiresless objects. Is this just a copout because they can't fix my problem? Sometimes it would take 45 min. of reloading, refreshing, rebooting and then I can get qvc.com. Same with other devices. Says it is connected, but the websites say no internet connection. I am about ready to switch to Spectrum.  Very frustrated.

@geegerbee

You may want to check your internet connection at AT&T speedtest site.

Please look  at the connection speed you are buying.

Before you change providers go to DSL Reports and read about service.

Esteemed Contributor

@Marp wrote:

Have you considered changing the channel on your router/gateway? Part of the problem could have to do with interference from neighboring networks on the same channel you are using.

Most  routers have an automatic setting. You need to get into the setting and make sure its checked.

There is software that can give info about the connections around you InSSider 4.

Honored Contributor

@glb613 wrote:

@Moonchilde wrote:

@glb613 wrote:

If it was a daily problem I might consider upgrading to a more expensive plan.  Since it's only occasional, I'll wait until the download is over. 

Same here. Except since we are rural we have ONE provider, and our wifi sux no matter what. Speed sux, connectivity sux...and no choice. And I'm used to U-Verse top speeds. Makes me insane.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Esteemed Contributor

@Nuttmeg wrote:

@Marp wrote:

Have you considered changing the channel on your router/gateway? Part of the problem could have to do with interference from neighboring networks on the same channel you are using.

Most  routers have an automatic setting. You need to get into the setting and make sure its checked.

There is software that can give info about the connections around you InSSider 4.

It is because of so many nearby networks using the same channel as my router when on auto that I manually changed the channel turned of auto.  Cleared up a lot of problems.

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Esteemed Contributor

@Marp wrote:

@Nuttmeg wrote:

@Marp wrote:

It is because of so many nearby networks using the same channel as my router when on auto that I manually changed the channel turned of auto.  Cleared up a lot of problems.

@Marp

I do not have a problem with channel settings. I have an AC router, and use  the 5GHZ bandwidth. 

The software I suggested will give you a lot of feedback about your network. There are also free Android apps. Most cable company use branded Netgear or  Arris/ Motorola products. Netgear has a free app. It runs on Apple or Android devices.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Nuttmeg, I will definitely check out your recommendation and compare it to what I use.  I am currently using WifiInfoView.

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.